Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#168786 - 02/07/2003 13:31 gentoo on empeg?
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
i have just discovered how powerful a program Portage is, and would like to be able to use it on my spare empeg just for the hell of it. would it be possible to cross-compile all of the bootstrap/stage1 apps, chroot, then just let emerge do its thing afterwards? mebbe 2-3 weeks (or months) later, i'll have up to date arm-compiled versions of all the apps, then tar it up for a stage3 tarball for the rest of you guys? i think using the hijack kernel would be ok (even though reiserfs or ext3 would be advantageous)... only requirement that im not sure the kernel right now will comply with is "Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)".

what do you guys think?

#168787 - 02/07/2003 23:31 Re: gentoo on empeg? [Re: image]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

According to this page, ext3 is already in hijack. And the hijack page lists ext3 in v300.

BTW: what's portage?

#168788 - 03/07/2003 00:26 Re: gentoo on empeg? [Re: TheAmigo]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Portage is the Really Cool Package Manager that gentoo uses that automaticaly downloads all dependencies, and complies them from the source for your system.

I doubt that gentoo would really be much benefit on the empeg however, as its compilation is already optimized for its arm processor. The nice think about using gentoo on an recent intel box is that you get binaries that are complied and optimized for your specific processor, and not a 386. Installing gentoo is however the Thing To Do these days, so if you need to prove your geek-superiority, we'd all be impressed if you got it to work on an empeg.

Matthew