Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17116 - 08/09/2000 07:55 commands over ethernet
jason
stranger

A wish: to have the player software listen on a socket, so that an application can connect
over the network and send commands (similar to those on the serial port) to control the player.

I bring my empeg into work everyday to listen while I work. I would love to have a small app
on my desktop that allowed me to "skip to next song" or "pause", etc. That's possible now over
serial, but I already have it plugged into the ethernet, why not just use that? :)

-j

#17117 - 08/09/2000 10:00 Re: commands over ethernet [Re: jason]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
A wish: to have the player software listen on a socket, so that an application can connect over the network and send commands (similar to those on the serial port) to control the player.

I only have a Mark 1 (i.e., no ethernet), but... Doesn't the "play" button in Emplode work when you're using ethernet?

If so, then this capability already exists and all you've gotta do is work out the protocols. Let us know when you have the app written. I expect it by next Monday.

Another option (assuming what I just said works) is to just use Emplode as your remote-control application. All the playlists are there and you can select them and play them to your heart's content.

#17118 - 08/09/2000 10:12 Re: commands over ethernet [Re: tfabris]
jason
stranger

I only have a Mark 1 (i.e., no ethernet), but... Doesn't the "play" button in Emplode work when you're using ethernet?

I don't use normally windows, so I didn't know about this. My original inspection of emplode (when
I first got my Mk1) didn't show this feature. They must've added it since then. I just tested it
(running emplode in win98 on vmware for linux), and it _does_ work. Cool.

When I get a chance (maybe this weekend), I'll look at the emptool source to see if this part of the
protocol is documented there...

-j

#17119 - 08/09/2000 10:25 Re: commands over ethernet [Re: jason]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When I get a chance (maybe this weekend), I'll look at the emptool source to see if this part of the protocol is documented there...

You'd better get started if you want to make that Monday deadline. Snap to it!

#17120 - 08/09/2000 10:55 Re: commands over ethernet [Re: tfabris]
jason
stranger

When I get a chance (maybe this weekend), I'll look at the emptool source to see if this part of
the protocol is documented there...

You'd better get started if you want to make that Monday deadline. Snap to it!

Well, I just looked. :)

There seems to be a ProtocolClient::SetPlayState() and a ProtocolClient::PlayFid(), in the protocol,
but AFAICT no implementation of this in emptool. I would add it myself, but the lack of a way to
"skip to next song" -- without knowing the next fid in the shuffle, and using PlayFid() -- kinda
defeats the purpose since that would be the main use of the tool for me.

So, I guess my wish (to have a way to control the player via ethernet) still stands. If anyone sees
something I'm missing, please let me know.

-j