Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172470 - 29/07/2003 10:37 Help with Certification
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I recently decided to get A+ certified. However, I'm having some problems with studying for the exam.

1) I decided not to pay the equivalent of another semester at college and skip the instructor-led courses.
2) I purchased some online study software from www.lantell.com. What they neglected to mention was that the software doesn't prepare you for squat, and the majority of the material will be covered in the 800 page book that they don't even tell you about.
3) I didn't have too much problem with having to read the book, but the problem is the damn company included a book that was mostly written in 1999!! As a result, I'm learning all about the widely popular AT systems, coax networks, 10Base5 networking, and how sometime next year, Intel will release a mysterious processor dubbed Merced. I'm also learning how to detect general protection faults in Windows 3.1

Judging by the current exam, I will need more than the cursory glance the book gives me into Win2K and various advents of the new millenium. However, I want to see if the background the book has given me in the hardware area will be sufficient. This is a little scary, seeing as I'm taking the exam next Monday, and I'm not sure if I have the right tools to prepare for it. The problem is that I can't find a way to test myself. Naturally, the sample tests in the book are outdated, and I can't find any free sample tests online. Can anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

#172471 - 29/07/2003 12:10 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The problem is that I can't find a way to test myself. Naturally, the sample tests in the book are outdated, and I can't find any free sample tests online. Can anyone else?
Instead of buying the courseware, you should have bought sample tests. There are companies that sell sample tests. I don't think anyone puts them out for free, that kind of stuff is too valuable to give away.

Last time I needed to cram for a certification test, I got sample tests from SelfTest Software, and kept running through them over and over until I started getting good scores. Sailed through the real exam the following week.

I realize that particular study method isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it worked for me.

#172472 - 29/07/2003 12:14 Re: Help with Certification [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
The place I used when I got my Cisco cert was Boson. They have study guides, practice tests, etc. for a variety of different certifications.

#172473 - 29/07/2003 12:35 Re: Help with Certification [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, I'll look at the costs and see how feasible it is.

The problem I've seen with the study guides is partly their own fault, and partly the fault of the publishing cycle. I mean sure, there's a new test every two years, and it takes a very long time to write and publish a book, but that doesn't explain why the majority of A+ books I found in Borders were published in 2001. I found one that was published in 2003, and they talk about AMD processors up to Athlon XP, so I figure they're at least a little more recent.

Tony, you really got by on studying the exams instead of the material? What certification was this? The problem I'm seeing with A+ is that there's such a broad scope that it's hard to study to the point where my grade relies on 40 to 60 questions.

Unless, of course, they use the same questions as the practice exams

#172474 - 29/07/2003 13:16 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It certainly wasn't an A+ exam, it was a piddly little Microsoft Certified Professional exam for 2000 server and XP, or something like that.

The reason I got by on studying the exams instead of the material is because I'd taken similar exams before and knew how they worked. They quiz you on crap like what the exact command line parameters are to ipconfig (what, like I can't type "/?", sheesh). So I mostly knew the material and just needed to know the fine details of what I was gonna get tested on. Anything I didn't know, I looked up or figured out by messing with the product being quizzed, then went back and took the test again. And yes, the practice exams had very similar questions to the real thing.

I dunno what all is involved in an A+ cert, so I don't know if this method would work or not.

#172475 - 29/07/2003 13:23 Re: Help with Certification [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That makes sense. My problem is that I've always been in on the user level of all the A+ subjects, but now I'm getting down to the basics and learning from the ground up. The thing that's scary to me is needing to memorize stuff like all the IRQ settings, DMA channels, IO addresses, and (according to the book) the value for the colors on resistors. It's the exactness and detailed memorization that scares me. That, and the fact that I have no idea what the hell an "adaptive exam" is.

Plus, I took one practice exam from somewhere, and one of the questions was something like "which wire(s) in the USB cable carry the data?" That's something I could learn, but my book doesn't say anything about individual wires.

Oh boy, this'll be fun.

#172476 - 29/07/2003 13:36 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's exactly the kind of crap I hate about those exams.

All of those details are things that I can look up or find out in seconds whenever I need them in the real world. Memorizing them is useless to me in day to day business. If there's a conflict on an IRQ, the important thing is knowing how to recognize it when it happens, how to narrow it down, and how to solve it. Not whether or not you've memorized the exact IRQ number for the Com2 port.

And memorizing resistor bands? Aw hell, I've never even bothered to try, it's printed on every package of resistors I've ever bought from Radio Shack. I just make sure not to throw the last package away.

Which wires in the USB cable carry the data? Who cares? Look up the pinouts online somewhere, or keep a printed pinout reference. Jeez. Or better yet, JUST BUY A NEW FUCKING CABLE IF IT'S GIVING YOU TROUBLE.

God, I hate these kinds of exams. So pointless.

If they want to separate the men from the boys, give them a PC that won't boot because of some bullshit with a new Microsoft service pack being incompatible with an installed device driver. See if they can get it up and running . Memorizing cable pinouts isn't gonna help in the real world. Argh.

Anyway, that's why I concentrated on the exams instead of the material, because that way I could find out what bullshit minutiae they were going to test me on, and I could concentrate on memorizing just that insted of every single possible data point in the course materials.

#172477 - 29/07/2003 13:50 Re: Help with Certification [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Amen! Preach it!

I'm sure the resistor thing has been phased out by now. I have a feeling that was for the last test, as the CompTIA website says nothing about it.

And you're right, get a new cable. There's instructions in this book on how to clean a keyboard (take all the keys off and wipe down with whatever). Keyboards are cheap. There's at least 5 extras lying around my 17-person office.

The thing I find funny about the exam is that they ask you these very questions about specific IRQ settings and what-not, they only take 20-30 questions to test you, and you get an hour and a half! That gives you 3 to 4.5 minutes to answer each multiple choice question, which range from:
"Which IRQ is used for LPT2?"
to
"Here are a bunch of computer parts. Circle the motherboard" (seriously, I had this one in a sample test)

So in other words, when I took one of these 30 question tests, it took me about 5 minutes to finish because the questions were either beyond my memorization, or too easy to spend any time on.

#172478 - 29/07/2003 13:51 Re: Help with Certification [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh yeah, and the worst part: $145 per test. If I fail, I have to pay to retake it. I suppose it makes the $3000 course more attractive, since that lets you take it as many times as you want.

#172479 - 29/07/2003 14:13 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
If you think you're gonna fail it more than 20 times, I suppose.

BTW, the best way to clean a keyboard is to pop it in the dishwasher. Done it many times, and as long as it's not a $5 keyboard, it'll hold up just fine and be squeaky clean.

Also BTW, this sort of crap is why I personally hold no esteem for certifications. They don't provide any knowledge to an employer about whether or not a potential employee has the appropriate knowledge, as they don't test appropriate knowledge. In fact, I tend to toss out on their ears the interviewees who are proud of their certifications, as they were unable to recognize that the certs are useless.

#172480 - 29/07/2003 14:23 Re: Help with Certification [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh, believe me, I could do without it. But there are employers out there who require this crap. I enjoy learning some of these things, but to be required to know some of it is ridiculous, particularly at the end of the exam's life, when you're being asked the speed of the MCA bus.

#172481 - 29/07/2003 15:11 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Loc: DFW Area, Texas, US
Data+ and Data- (or D+ and D- if you are into shorthand), and it is a differential signal.

Other two wires are VBUS and ground incase you still care.

#172482 - 29/07/2003 16:38 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
When I took it not too long ago I didn't see any resistor color code questions in any pratice test or the real test. They did still have the IRQ / DMA crap.

I agree the thing is pointless but I got reimbursed for the test fee and 500.00 to take it. I think A+ is used more as a sales tool than to prove that you know anything about computers. Like now best buy advertises our techs are A+ certified. They are still too stupid to install ram but they took the test anyway.

Matt

#172483 - 29/07/2003 18:02 Re: Help with Certification [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I assume that buy "techs" you mean the folks behind the desk "fixing" computers, and not the people out on the sales floor. Those are the worst.

What was your experience with the exam like? How did you study for it?

#172484 - 29/07/2003 18:03 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Chimaera]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That's a good answer, but I remember the question giving four choices: 1, 2, 3, and/or 4. Which of those?

#172485 - 29/07/2003 19:04 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Yes I was talking about the "repair" people. Not that the sales people aren't just as bad though.

When I took it I made the appointment for about a week from when I started to study for it. I got a book that was just pratice test questions and also had access to two pay sites that have online pratice tests (one was smartforce.com I can't remember the other) I just did the three test until I knew all of their questions. I also memorized the IRQ/DMA settings which I forgot about five minutes after taking the test.

I took one part at a time each part took about 10 minutes. Supposedly if you get a question wrong you will get similar questions I don't remember that happening.

I think the best thing to do it just make the appointment and start studying otherwise it's too easy to just keep putting it off.

Matt

#172486 - 29/07/2003 19:23 Re: Help with Certification [Re: msaeger]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
That's probably what I need to do. I took CCNA training, but have put off taking the test. I think I need to get off my butt and take the test. Especially if I decide to do CCNP this fall. Everyone's advice is helpful. Now to undo the mindset that "It's summer - must be outside mountain biking" and sit and study.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#172487 - 29/07/2003 19:45 Re: Help with Certification [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, Matt. That was helpful. I believe that's what they are talking about with that whole "adaptive test" thing.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get access to some of those online tests and see what I can get out of them.

#172488 - 29/07/2003 21:21 Re: Help with Certification [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
BTW, the best way to clean a keyboard is to pop it in the dishwasher. Done it many times, and as long as it's not a $5 keyboard, it'll hold up just fine and be squeaky clean.

Bill! You are my hero! I've never had the guts to actually try that. Next time...

Thinking about it, I suppose that any keyboard that won't hold up in a dishwasher, won't really be useful when cleaned by any other method.

#172489 - 30/07/2003 01:37 Re: Help with Certification [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Also BTW, this sort of crap is why I personally hold no esteem for certifications. They don't provide any knowledge to an employer about whether or not a potential employee has the appropriate knowledge, as they don't test appropriate knowledge. In fact, I tend to toss out on their ears the interviewees who are proud of their certifications, as they were unable to recognize that the certs are useless.
Or, as Dignan points out, unable to recognise quickly enough that the employer recognises that certs are useless. Heaven knows there are enough positions out there where hiring decisions are made by people who know nothing about the job in question.

But I'm afraid that looking for cheap ways to get certified sounds as much a contradiction in terms as looking for a cheap way to become a Scientologist. The whole system is set up to make money for the certifiers, and nobody's about to shoot the fox by charging what it's actually worth.

Oh yeah, and the reason you'd clean a keyboard is 'cos keyboards are common but good keyboards are rare...

Peter

#172490 - 30/07/2003 04:05 Rare keyboards [Re: peter]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

Has anyone come across any really good keyboards recently? I am looking for something with the split key design (similar to the MS Natural Keyboard), but that doesn't feel like you are typing in marshmallow. Something with some tactile feedback and a good, solid, natural key click would be nice... (remembering back to the solid feel of the old IBM keyboards...)

By the way, for anyone interesting in illuminated keyboards, I tried one of these. Not bad, a little bit flat in repsonse for me, and there was a high pitch sound that you get with all "Indiglo" illumination that was extremely annoying.

#172491 - 30/07/2003 05:33 Re: Help with Certification [Re: peter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Bitt: I thought that the dishwasher trick worked depending on your local water quality.

peter: yeah, I could see cleaning a good keyboard, but the instructions in these books are aimed at the service people who will probably only see QuietKeys every day.

paul: let me know if you find a good one. I've been looking for a nice keyboard as well, but in the normal style (yay carpal tunnel!).
Oh, and if you want an illuminated keyboard...

#172492 - 30/07/2003 06:38 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
Loren had a cool keyboard....

/searching to find that thread.

#172493 - 30/07/2003 07:17 Re: Rare keyboards [Re: pgrzelak]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

PCKeyboards/Unicomp own the rights to and make the old IBM-style buckling spring keyboards these days. They don't make a split one, though.

#172494 - 30/07/2003 12:48 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
Chimaera
enthusiast

In that case the question was wrong, excerpt from the USB spec is included.

Regards,
Contributor to the USB spec

Attachments
171449-USBcable.jpg (126 downloads)

#172495 - 30/07/2003 13:09 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Chimaera]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, it was probably right in their heads. It's only natural that they'd expect us to know which wires they call 1, 2, 3, and 4

#172496 - 30/07/2003 13:13 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I think the pin numbers are visible on the plastic part of the connector. I can't verify that though right now.

#172497 - 30/07/2003 13:20 Re: Help with Certification [Re: robricc]
Chimaera
enthusiast

The connector pins are numbered (shown below) but the question asked about the cable, which is not numbered.

Do you think I could find out who wrote that question, and get their certification removed

Attachments
171464-contacts.jpg (112 downloads)

#172498 - 30/07/2003 13:34 Re: Rare keyboards [Re: wfaulk]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Paul,

I'll second the vote for the Unicomp keyboards. They aren't split, but they are the best keyboards on the planet. Period. The "buckling spring" gives the best tactile/audio feedback there is. I am at least 20 wpm faster on my Unicomp than any other keyboard. They are indestructible, too. The "buckling spring" is what we used to call the "clackety keyboards" like on the old IBM terminals. There is nothing else like them. No ergo (split) design, and no USB, but worth it!

I have a UNI0P46 and it is the best computer investment I've ever made.

FWIW,
Jim

#172499 - 30/07/2003 20:08 Re: Rare keyboards [Re: pgrzelak]

has anyone come across any really good keyboards recently?

The two units can either be moved freely or be mounted as shown in the picture, which allows you to have them sit on your lap.

Attachments
171521-dh.jpg (103 downloads)

#172500 - 30/07/2003 20:23 Re: Rare keyboards [Re: 753]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Is that for real? Looks like a torture device. It could be the best keyboard in the world but I don't think you could get many people to try it.

#172501 - 31/07/2003 06:35 Re: Rare keyboards [Re: tfabris]

Is that for real?

It's a photo of my desk.
Looks like a torture device.

In the beginning, definitely. It takes a few weeks to get up to full speed on this thing. Feels like learning to type all over again.
After that it's quite handy for the more weird key combinations you previously had to look for. All right at your fingertips.
It could be the best keyboard in the world but I don't think you could get many people to try it.

Not at the price it sells for anyway, no. (1295 USD) I guess it's aimed at the desperate, who are willing to try anything.

#172502 - 31/07/2003 07:08 Re: Help with Certification [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

had access to two pay sites that have online pratice tests (one was smartforce.com
Hmm, seems the site has changed/the company was bought or something. It doesn't look like they offer the same services they used to. At least, I can't find any mention of practice exams for sale. They seem to be focused on selling whole courses now.

Any suggestions on a site with practice exams?

#172503 - 31/07/2003 13:48 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

It was an entire course. Ricoh signed all their techs up for it I pretty much just used the practice test because the course would have been better used as a sleep aid.

Here is another one that just sells the tests
http://www.cert21.com/CompTIA-exams.html

I didn't try the A+ one on here though.

Matt

#172504 - 31/07/2003 14:26 Re: Help with Certification [Re: msaeger]
eliceo
enthusiast

can anyone comment on how useful / valuable having microsoft certs ie mcse, mcdba , and so forth are?

#172505 - 31/07/2003 14:38 Re: Help with Certification [Re: eliceo]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

While it's certainly not a problem to have them, I've encountered many people who were way too proud of having them, and they invariably know next-to-nothing. (I once interviewed a guy who came in for the interview wearing an MCSE lapel pin, had an MCSE binder, and went on and on about how he got his MCSE. That interview alsted the minimum amount of time possible.)

On the other hand, having one can prove that you know more than absolutely nothing and might be able to get you an interview where you might not otherwise have gotten one, especially in a tight job market.

As far as actual knowledge gained from it, regardless of potentially impressing an employer, I'd say that you're better off saving your money.

The point is that hundreds of thousands of people have them, and theyre not going to raise you above the crowd. It's gonna be an employer-by-employer thing as to whether not having one is a drawback.

#172506 - 31/07/2003 16:32 Re: Help with Certification [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

you're better off saving your money
But if your employer is funding the courses/exam fees, it may be worth it as well.

#172507 - 31/07/2003 17:03 Re: Help with Certification [Re: eliceo]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
can anyone comment on how useful / valuable having microsoft certs ie mcse, mcdba , and so forth are?

I would say it depends a lot on the employer and the position you are applying for. Personally I have seen way to many people who aren't qualified to change a light-bulb but have an MCSE, etc. I greatly prefer people who have the ability/desire to learn on their own. There are a variety of activities that you can list on a resume that show that type of drive (open source projects, classes taken at a real university for knowledge after you have a degree, very broad experience outside of your main goals/work history even if it isn't very deep, experience with an obscure OS, etc.) any one of which would mean a lot more to me than a MS cert.

The MCSE may get you past the HR department, but (I would like to hope at least) your real qualifications will be more important to your manager.

-Mike

#172508 - 01/08/2003 03:52 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
But if your employer is funding the courses/exam fees, it may be worth it as well.
Possibly, but watch for attached conditions (commitments to carry on working there for N years or pay them back the course costs).

Peter

#172509 - 01/08/2003 07:01 Re: Help with Certification [Re: peter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

True, that would be pretty bad. But my father's business will be hiring an IT guy soon, and they will be training that person. I have no desire to be that person, though. These people are nuts.

#172510 - 04/08/2003 14:44 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, I passed my exams (two shots at the OS test), so I am now A+ Certified. It may not be much, but I'm happy with myself for studying up enough to pass this ridiculous "test" of knowledge.

I just wanted to say one thing: Apparently I'm not allowed to speak about the content of the exam, however anyone who looks at the prep books and practice exams will realize that, for some reason, CompTIA appears to be obsessed with the parallel port. I don't know why, but they appear to have a love for it that I cannot comprehend, for there has been at least two questions about parallel ports on every practice exam that I have taken. They must have cried when the USB printer was invented.

Anyway, I'm glad that's over. Now if I could only remember the IRQ and IO address of COM ports 1 and 3....

#172511 - 04/08/2003 22:50 Re: Help with Certification [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Congrats. Now you never have to think about it again .

Matt

#172512 - 05/08/2003 11:24 Re: Rare keyboards [Re: wfaulk]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Ah, keyboards that are built the way the God indended them to be ... Thanks for the link! I am down to my last original IBM, and I managed to break one of its 'legs' used to tilt it slightly. The only drawback is that clicking annoys my roommate at work.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#172513 - 05/08/2003 11:37 Re: Rare keyboards [Re: bonzi]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

No problem. It's always nice to bump into some one who knows The Way.

#172514 - 05/08/2003 17:41 Re: Help with Certification [Re: eliceo]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
I have found that most of the Microsoft certificates are pretty useless and easily crammed so the vast majority of MCSEs out there are those who took all the tests in a two week "boot camp" where no-one can fail.
It used to be that if you saw a MCNE (Novell) then they really HAD to know thier stuff to get past the 14 exams needed to pass, but I think Novell may have allowed it to dilute recently.
My favorite exam was the CompTIA Project+ (Gartner Project), the questions were all multi choice where all the choices were correct, you had to choose the MOST correct!! That really does sort the men from the boys.

#172515 - 05/08/2003 19:08 Re: Help with Certification [Re: ashmoore]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, CNEs were usually pretty good, but anyone with only a CNA was a ... well ... chode, and they were as ubiquitous as MCSEs are these days. And they were all proud to show off their lack of knowledge at the drop of a hat.

#172516 - 05/08/2003 22:17 Re: Help with Certification [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Bitt, I have to say, I'm proud of my certification. But only for the reason that I got through a ridiculous exam with useless/dumb questions that required the knowledge of stupid, useless facts....I guess college did help me!

But in all seriousness, I probably learned more from the book I chose. I tuned out some of the more useless info, but it was pretty informative, since it focused on imparting real knowledge with a sub-goal of exam preparation. Plus, it was the only book available written after 2002, so I got info on Athlons, WinXP, and other more recent things, in addition to all the valuable knowledge about Windows 95 and 3.x

Granted, I knew a lot of the stuff already, but I'm glad I have something for my troubles...and my money...

So, thanks Matt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >