Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#174346 - 08/08/2003 03:51 Jukebox and remote control under Windows 2000?
BryanR

Loc: Berkshire, UK
I've just been given a laptop, now sitting in my living room, which I'm using it to play music from my server. However, the software I'm using at the moment is far too small to read from the sofa.

Can anyone suggest a jukebox program that will run under Win2k Pro, will display in full-screen, and has huge text that can be seen across the room?

Following on from that, can anyone suggest a cunning way of using a remote control with it? I have a serial port IR adapter (which I used to use with an old mobile phone) - could this be used as a receiver for a remote? Anyone know of any software that I could use with it?

Ta,

#174347 - 08/08/2003 04:02 Re: Jukebox and remote control under Windows 2000? [Re: BryanR]
tman
carpal tunnel

The IR adapter may not work with a standard remote control. If it's for a mobile phone then it's probably an IrDA adapter and not capable of doing consumer IR. However, if you've got a PDA with IrDA then you may be able to get something like Palantir made up.
Luckily, a consumer IR adapter is cheap to make. You should also be able to buy one, don't have a link at the moment though.

#174348 - 08/08/2003 16:29 Re: Jukebox and remote control under Windows 2000? [Re: BryanR]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Give myHTPC a shot... I've been wanted to set this up at home, but haven't had the time to play with it much.

myHTPC

#174349 - 08/08/2003 16:33 Re: Jukebox and remote control under Windows 2000? [Re: tman]
dalewoodian
stranger

Loc: Meridian MS
Im using a digital jukebox program with my mame arcade cabinet that is really simple to use. You can change the font size and have album covers dispayed and queue up songs or let it randomly pick songs for you. Also has a an option for screensaver. Easy to setup comes with a config wizard.
You can download a demo at www.rastaworld.com.

#174350 - 13/08/2003 16:10 Re: Jukebox and remote control under Windows 2000? [Re: bootsy]
BryanR

Loc: Berkshire, UK
I finally got around to playing with myHTPC this evening. I almost like it, but it only seems to display the filename of the mp3 playing, rather than making use of the tags, which is annoying. All I could see of the track playing was something like:

[John Cale]-[Sabotage]-[01]-[Read...

Which isn't quite as useful as, say, the empeg's display (but what is?).

So, I guess, I'll keep looking, unless I find the enthusiasm (in this heatwave!) to put something together myself, which is very unlikely.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.