Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#174384 - 08/08/2003 14:43 Embedded WebBrowser object: Throws error?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Okay, in the past I've used the feature of Internet Explorer to embed a WebBrowser object into my programs.

In Visual Basic, you do this by adding the shdocvw.dll to your project components, then a WebBrowser object becomes available that you can draw onto your form and all is well. It has methods like .navigate and such, letting you essentially write your own web browser but using IE's I/O engine. Pretty easy and straightforward.

But here's a little problem...

You know how, sometimes, when you navigate to a page and there's a problem with the page's Javascript, IE will throw up an incredibly annoying modal error box saying, "There was an error processing scripts on this page. <error details> Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?"

That error box can be disabled in the Internet Explorer advanced options. No problem. I've done that. Now, the "real" IE only shows a small icon in the lower left corner showing the problem with the script. All is well.

But when I use the embedded version of shdocvw in my software, it ignores that advanced option and throws up the annoying modal error box.

Has anyone ever worked with this before, and does anyone know how to make shdocvw.dll suppress those errors when running as an embedded part of another app?

#174385 - 08/08/2003 15:45 Re: Embedded WebBrowser object: Throws error? [Re: tfabris]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
not really an answer to your question, buy you might look at alternatives.
otoh, the alternative i mention above is kinda pricey.

the only article i ever saw on ie controls in vb was something about if you load about:blank in an embedded ie control rather than doing a blank page it says "screw you." i never did confirm it myself.