Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17606 - 13/09/2000 12:22 2000 Honda CR-V Installation
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Well it's in and almost fully integrated.

After buying so many new toys lately I am not able to afford a new amplifier for my empeg so I had to install it as a second head unit in my CR-V.

As an added bonus (NOT!!!) the first head unit, with built in amplifier, lacks an AUX input. So right now I have my empeg sort of installed.

I took the empegs front outputs and hooked up a set of RCA cables to them. Then I took an RCA to mini (1/8") jack adapter and plugged that into a coupler with mini-jacks on both sides. Next I plugged in a cassette adapter to the coupler and popped it into my Pioneer headunit. Voila, empeg on a tape!

It looks pretty good though, only problem is that the pioneer trim would not fit around the face with the empeg installed. That will be battled soon though with the use of an Exacto Knife, metal ruler and a hard flexible binder cover. (thanks for that tip guys!)

Anyways here is the link to the information on my install, along with a bunch of pics.

Enjoy and comments are welcome.

P.S. Two options I have for getting the sound into the Pioneer would be with an IP bus adapter that Pioneer makes or a sound feeder which works over radio waves. The Pioneer option that would allow use of my CD-Changer (when the empeg is in my other car) will cost me about $120 (Canadian) while the Sound Feeder will cost $40. Here's the questions: How do I make a 12V to 3V adapter to hardwire the soundfeeder into my car (it takes 2 AAA batteries)? And how good do these things work when they are inside the dash while the cars antenna is outside the vehicle?

#170... I got SN: 080000101 12 gig Blue!

#17607 - 13/09/2000 12:53 Re: 2000 Honda CR-V Installation [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks for the great pictures. I will need to refer to them when my family becomes a two-empeg family.

#17608 - 13/12/2002 20:22 Re: 2000 Honda CR-V Installation [Re: ShadowMan]
lefty
new poster

I'm about to venture into an installation into a Honda CR-V.
My CR-V has a factory head unit, and an in-dash CD.
It appears as if the head unit is a full DIN size, but the additional factory CD is not quite big enough to replace with the empeg.

Does anyone know where I can find out whether the factory CD can be retained, and hooked up to the empeg inputs?

I'm pretty sure I'll be adding an amplifier, and replacing the factory head unit... so I'd love to retain the in-dash CD - both for convience AND a great looking dash (I don't have anything that could cover the hole!

#17609 - 14/12/2002 09:50 Re: 2000 Honda CR-V Installation [Re: lefty]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Assuming that the CD player doesn't have any controls on it and is controlled through the stock head unit, there's not much you can do with it right now. A few people have talked about trying to figure out the protocol used to control such CD players, but no one has actually succeeded, AFAIK.

On the off chance that that CD player has its own controls and it has RCA line-level outputs (or something that could be converted to RCA line-level outputs), then you could hook it up to the empeg's aux inputs. However, I'd say that the chances that that's the way that player is are next to nil.