Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#176199 - 21/08/2003 14:41 Skerik
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
If the subject line means something to you, you may find this post interesting. If not, then check it out anyway.

For those who don't know (most of you, most likely), Skerik is a saxophonist from Seattle. He's "best" known as a member of bands such as Tuatara, Critters Buggin, Sadhappy, and others.

Well, I'm a huge fan of this guy. He's one of my favorite artists, and since he didn't have a website of his own, I thought I'd make a little fan site for him, which is something I hadn't done before.

Here's the site:
www.skerik.org

Forgive me if the DNS servers haven't all cought up yet.

Much thanks goes out to Donato (Ricin) for hosting me and helping me in the transition of the site from one of my current subdomains to the new location. He's got a great operation running there.

Anyway, I'm proud of the features of the site, and I want to proselytize the work of this guy. So, check it out sometime.

#176200 - 21/08/2003 15:38 Re: Skerik [Re: Dignan]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
DNS works fine.

#176201 - 21/08/2003 19:45 Re: Skerik [Re: lastdan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Cool, thanks

By the way, I know my musical suggestions usually bomb horribly here, but if you are into drums 'n bass 'n sax kind of stuff, you should definitely check out Sadhappy. Unfortunately, you're probably only going to get their albums online, but they have incredible playing on them. One of my top 5 or 10 favorite albums is Sadhapy's "Live: Before We Were Dead"

The best I can describe it is with what they do on it. It's mostly a sort of jazz-rock. Not a whole lot of chord changes and mostly very hard. Like jazz-metal. A few tracks have spoken word from the bass player, but mostly instrumental. Skerik uses various effects that create some amazing sounds, and the bass player is incredibly fast and seems very proficient (have any of you bassists ever heard of Paul Hinklin?).

Anyway, that's my plug, although I doubt anyone's going to take me up on that one considering the inconvenience, especially when added to my track record of miserable reccomendation failures

#176202 - 22/08/2003 15:18 Re: Skerik [Re: Dignan]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Can you make any inappropriate comparisons, with say Morphine (one of my all-time favorites)?

#176203 - 22/08/2003 23:15 Re: Skerik [Re: DLF]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ooo, you like Morphine? Interesting. Well, I haven't listened to enough Morphine, but I'd say the majority of Skerik's stuff is a lot harder than that (not in the difficulty sense...but...you know... ).

However, I think you'd enjoy Tuatara. They're an instrumental "supergroup" with Barret Martin of Screaming Trees and Peter Buck of REM. That's how I first got into him.

Plus, AMG mentions Morphine several times when talking about Tuatara, including here.