Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#177456 - 30/08/2003 14:27 Hold on a minute...
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Let me get this straight...

SCO says that some of the open-source Linux kernel is actually copied from their proprietary code.

Everyone who asks them "okay, then, can you show us the code in question?" is told that they have to be under NDA before they can see it.

Have I got that right?

Because if that's true, then the following must also be true...

If the code in question really has been copied, as they allege, then the code in question is world-visible in the open sources already.

So why the cloak and dagger bit? No need for an NDA if they're going to show you their copy of something that's already in the public domain.

Personally, I think SCO has two things: Jack, and shit. And Jack left town...

#177457 - 30/08/2003 14:30 Re: Hold on a minute... [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Couldn't agree more, it is just an attempt to bump up their share price in the short term.

#177458 - 31/08/2003 02:40 Re: Hold on a minute... [Re: andy]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I know that stock pumping is a popular theory, but it requires an astonishing amount of stupidity to make that a corporate strategy. Executives who do such things have a habit of ending up in jail; for example, the Enron crew are largely on their way.

My own theory is that the SCO executives are genuinely deluded into believing their own hype and view the stock market gains as external affirmation of the validity of their claims. In the end, it won't matter a whit.

#177459 - 17/09/2003 04:06 Re: Hold on a minute... [Re: tfabris]
JaBZ
addict

Loc: NZ
Thought I'd contribute to this, being an avid linux user myself...
here is a letter sent to SCO Aus/NZ by one of our members in the nz wireless mailing list.

Mr O'Shaughnessy,

I understand that you are the managing director of SCO Group Australia/New Zealand. I read with interest media reports today of your intention to charge Linux users in this country a "licence fee" for the use of what you claim is SCO Group's intellectual property.

I believe that your Intellectual Property claims are fallacious and that this fact is self evident. Further, I believe that your company is making these unfounded claims at the behest of Microsoft corporation and as part of an illegal stock "pump and dump" scheme by your directors.

I am a commercial and private user of the Linux operating system. I have no intention of paying your licence fee. Please note the following points;

1. I dare you to invoice me for a licence fee.

2. I double dare you to sue me for non-payment of said licence fee.

3. When this is all over and SCO group has lost it's case, your contribution Mr Kieran O'Shaughnessy will be remembered. I intend to do everything I possibly can to ensure that your activities are held against you by the courts, organisations which might do business with you, prospective employers and potential investors.

4. I hope that you are sentenced to a prison term for your crimes. I hope this sentence provides you with the opportunity to get touch with your feminine side in a federal "pound me in the arse" prison.

5. I hope it hurts.

6. I hope that an angry mob burns your company out.

#177460 - 17/09/2003 04:41 Re: Hold on a minute... [Re: JaBZ]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
I guess a reply was out of the question then?

#177461 - 17/09/2003 10:54 Re: Hold on a minute... [Re: JaBZ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Okay, now THAT was funny.

#177462 - 17/09/2003 10:58 Re: Hold on a minute... [Re: JaBZ]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
I find it amusing that he has the last name of a double crossing female from The Maltese Falcon.