Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#177615 - 01/09/2003 16:40 of linux and ntfs
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
ok
im currently using my windows xp box as a linux box on the side through knoppix as it seems to work great from one cd (just wont recognize my wmp11). i would like to use jemplode so that i can try to find the offending playlist and remove it (since i cant seem to get jemplode to work under windows).
since the only partitions i have are ntfs, what (until i get a new hdd) would be the easiest way to install the jemplde installer .bin so i can just fire up linux and use it, without having to write to ntfs. (i would try to install to my 128 meg usb key, but linux seems to write to it wierd. ive a four meg file on it taking up 30 meg of the disk space.) any pointers would be great.

#177616 - 05/09/2003 23:35 Re: of linux and ntfs [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Question for you: does Knoppix ever slow down to a crawl on your system? Because it does on mine. I'm sure it has something to do with the whole running-from-a-CD thing, but I've tried adjusting the size of the operating file on the HDD, and sometimes after a bit of use it still slows down. Plus, do you know where I download hardware drivers? The only close video card match says "ATI All In Wonder." Isn't that a little generic? There's a bit of a difference between all those AIW versions, isn't there?

#177617 - 06/09/2003 00:50 Re: of linux and ntfs [Re: Dignan]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

nah, ive never had that problem. it only seems to slow down when i havent done anything for a while and it accesses the disk for some reason or another. overall i love this distro. and as to the ati question...
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html
did you try that
also, ati's official drivers cover all of a range of cards. i.e. their catalyst set (which they just came out with a new version of ... 3.7 i believe) so it doesnt seem all that surprising to me that the linux one would cover a range.
do you have problems with your video, or just want it updated?

#177618 - 07/09/2003 13:00 Re: of linux and ntfs [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, there were a few non-Radeon AIW's early on that I didn't think would be covered, but I guess that's not really fair

It was mainly that the video wasn't very good. With the fancy theme it installs, I can't quite tell if it's supposed to be crisper looking, but I suspect it is. The resolution looks low, and I don't think it's showing a whole lot of colors. The thing is, I make setting changes, but they don't seem to change when I restart.

#177619 - 07/09/2003 18:42 Re: of linux and ntfs [Re: Dignan]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

are you saving your settings file?
its one of the options in the knoppix menu "save my settings" or something.

#177620 - 07/09/2003 19:58 Re: of linux and ntfs [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm pretty sure I was. When I find my Knoppix disc (I just moved again), I'll play with it some more.