Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18238 - 20/09/2000 12:37 DVDs
drakino
carpal tunnel

(Sorry to bring this back up after almost a month, but thats how far behind I got in the Bug Reports section)

Well then you'll have to explain to me how to use SVGA on my 32 inch TV. Or for that matter, when I pick up a 60 inch TV will it accept SVGA? I think not.

Just stop shopping for a TV and get a monitor. Like a Destination 27, 31, or 36 inch :-)

I love watching DVD's on my 27 inch monitor, due to it being progressive scan capabale. And the optical out on my laptop provides 5.1 sound as well to accompany the best looking movies I have ever seen.

Also, keep in mind HDTV's should have an SVGA input (while computers are moving to DVI-I, sigh, wish TV's would keep up better).

#18239 - 20/09/2000 14:27 Re: DVDs [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Actually, there's a whole sub-culture developing around the concept of building a home theater centered around PC as the DVD component player.

You don't need a monitor to do it. And your HDTV-capable TV doesn't need to have an SVGA input, the standard five-cable HDTV input is enough. You just buy a "breakout" cable which converts the SVGA pins into a five-wire HDTV component cable and you're set. Oh, and you need to download PowerStrip so that you can set some custom rez's and frequencies that your HDTV will accept without letting the smoke out.

I actually tried this on my 46" HDTV-capable big-screen TV, and it worked. However, several issues prevented me from using this as a viable long-term way of watching DVDs. In theory, though, the progressive-scan output from your PC should look quite good on any HDTV-capable television set.