Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18358 - 22/09/2000 06:26 Empeg with my factory Infinity System?
boolage
new poster

I have a 97 Montero Sport with the upgraded Infinity Sound System. It is supposed to have a separate amp. Without taking the dash apart, does anyone out there have any experience with installing the empeg on any Mitsubishi systems of this type? (I am assuming that the Infinity system also is available for the Eclipse etc.)

Thanks

#18359 - 22/09/2000 15:23 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: boolage]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have experience with the stock mitsu infiniti system. It's a 1V system , and indeed it has a separate amp. The amp is very small and the overall quality of the infiniti system pretty much sucks (high noise floor, etc...) you might as well tear it all out and put in some good equipment.

Calvin "the audio snob"

#18360 - 22/09/2000 16:43 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: eternalsun]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
In reply to:

...you might as well tear it all out and put in some good equipment

I would have to 2nd that notion... You will ba amazed how much better the factory speakers will sound with some decient power behind them (and a sub to fill in the missing low end).

I have a 4 runner with an alpine 4x35watts and a 8" powered bazooka. The empeg sounds WAY BETTER than any cd in the factory deck did!

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#18361 - 26/09/2000 11:58 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: morrisdl]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

I have a 8" bazooka and an alpine unit as well.

I would rather have something better than a powered 8" tube, but that's all I can fit in my convertible trunk... :'( *sniff*

Calvin

#18362 - 26/09/2000 12:37 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: eternalsun]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I would rather have something better than a powered 8" tube, but that's all I can fit in my convertible trunk...

Something you might try... a 10" sub running free-air (no enclosure). That won't take up too much room, and it might sound good. I am running a single 10" that way, and while all the people who know more about stereo systems than I do (about 99% of all the people on the planet) tell me it will sound awful that way, it actually sounds very good indeed -- I win IASCA competitions with it.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#18363 - 27/09/2000 15:31 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: tanstaafl.]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

I've thought about it ever since you originally pointed out that's what you do. If I were to ditch the spare, I'd want to get runflat tires first. Hmm.. The 8" gives a good amount of bass, but I can't say it's as accurate as I would like. The car's trunk wouldn't fit a body.

Calvin

#18364 - 27/09/2000 16:46 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: eternalsun]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
If I were to ditch the spare,

No, no -- keep the spare, the speaker fits inside the dish of the spare wheel. I have 14" wheels, and a 10" speaker fits in there with about 1/4" of clearance all around the magnet assembly.

This also has the advantage of eventually magnetizing the spare wheel, so if you do get a flat tire and use the spare, it will pick up things like tools, coins, etc. off the ground as you drive along. :-)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#18365 - 28/09/2000 14:12 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: tanstaafl.]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

I have to check out my spare compartment to see if it would fit. :)

But then the sound space of a station wagon is different from the sound space of a convertible. There, the bass has to overcome the convertible compartment from the trunk. The trunk is not really the space air-space as the cabin...

Calvin

Calvin

#18366 - 28/09/2000 17:05 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: tanstaafl.]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
This also has the advantage of eventually magnetizing the spare wheel, so if you do get a flat tire and use the spare, it will pick up things like tools, coins, etc. off the ground as you drive along. :-)

AAHAHAH! that's a hilarious image. You get home and check out what you picked up on the drive home everyday...hahah. OOOO! i got a pair of nail clippers and 53 cents!! sweet. hahah.

|| loren.cox

#18367 - 23/01/2002 09:10 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: boolage]
smitty225
new poster

Loc: Maryland
Hi,
I have a stock Infinity System in my Mitsubishi Montero. I recently bought an empeg and want to connect it to the Infinity.

If you could provide me with your solution, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Mike Smith

#18368 - 23/01/2002 11:16 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: loren]
Nosferatu
enthusiast

Loc: France, Champagne
He man , on your site I saw a softimage Screen , yeah ?

#18369 - 24/01/2002 20:46 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: eternalsun]
smitty225
new poster

Calvin,
I know this thread has been open awhile, but I'm a little new to this. I have the stock Mitsu Infinity sound system. I'd like to keep it (and my 10-CD changer) and hook up my empeg to the factory amp.

I've been talking to a few people. I found a din-to-RCA cable that connects to the amp cable that goes to my stock head unit and splits it out to 4 RCA plugs.

If I could find a way to split out the din cable from the amp and still plug into the existing head unit then I could splice into the power (ISO?) harness that plugs into the back of the stock head unit.

Is there a way to do this?

Mike Smith

#18370 - 24/01/2002 22:43 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: smitty225]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
If you can get DIN->RCA and RCA->DIN (and if that's all the amp wants (+turn-on of course...)) then you could put a Sony XA-39II RCA switch in the chain. Could be wired so that when empeg is on, only empeg sound reaches amp, but with empeg off the stock HU is switched in instead.

/Michael

#18371 - 25/01/2002 18:05 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: mtempsch]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Yep, this was what I suggested to him by e-mail. What I didn't know was whether the Sony switch was a 2 pairs of 2 into 1 pair of 2, or 2 pairs of 4 into 1 pair of 4 switcher.

Calvin

#18372 - 25/01/2002 18:35 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: smitty225]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Here's the item everyone on the Eclipse board uses to hook into a factory stereo, it's a direct match if you are replacing your head unit altogether (hmm, looks like they are out): http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERMITAH

Here's the wirning harness adapter for your power connections: http://www.scosche.com/scosche/connectors/MI02.asp

I've never seen a 6-pin splitter, but you could search... I'd think with an Exacto knife and some solder you could spit things up yourself? You could connect both units to your OE power/ground, etc. cables. You could Y-adapt both units into your stock amplifier.

But you'd have to switch between the two sources - and to do this, you could tap into the turn-on lead for each head deck (the "switched power supply") and put it onto some kind of toggle switch. Up is RioCar, middle is off, and Down is stock head unit?

Just some ideas...

#18373 - 27/01/2002 07:28 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: eternalsun]
smitty225
new poster

Here is my wire diagram. Critque's are encouraged

Attachments
61834-wiring diagram for montero.ppt (197 downloads)

#18374 - 27/01/2002 08:11 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: smitty225]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Powerpoint? Can you export that to something more ... viewable? Is there a JPEG or PNG output in Powerpoint?

#18375 - 27/01/2002 11:21 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Yes, actually there was, attached is the slide.

Attachments
61864-Slide1.PNG (330 downloads)

#18376 - 27/01/2002 11:40 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: drakino]
smitty225
new poster

Thanks.

#18377 - 07/02/2002 23:16 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System? [Re: drakino]
smitty225
new poster

Update:

I ordered the MITAH and a Periphial SS2P (two channel RCA splitter). I'll be sending the SS2P back. It only has two sets of RCA inputs. I'll need two sets for each. One set for the empeg and one set for the infinity head unit.

But I did figure out how to get power and ground to the empeg. Here is what I did:

First I plugged the ISO wire adapter (the one with the loose wires) into the female ISO harness that hangs out of the back of the sled.

I disconnected the 6pin din cable from the back of the Infinity headunit (this goes to the seperate amp) and plugged the din end MITAH cable into the amp cable. Then connected the four dangling RCA's from the MITAH to the empeg. The MITAH needs to also send power to the AMP, so I connected the empegs remote amp wire (I think its blue) to the MITAH amp wire. Then I connected the black ground wire to the car chassis.

The factory wire harness (that was plugged into my radio) has holes for about 15 wires. Only 6 wires (in the center) are being used. The rest are empty.

Now, I needed to connect the orange and yellow wires from the back of the sled into this harness. After a little trial an error, if you hold the harness with the big indentation on top, the orange wire connects to the wire on the bottom center left, and the yellow wire connects to the bottom center right.

I put the key in the ignition, the RIO booted and the sound was beautiful. Rear speakers, front speakers, fade front to back and left to right all worked fine.

The final step will be to order a SONY RCA splitter. It has the correct amount of RCA inputs. And go to Radio Shack to get a male 6-pin Din plug, 4 male RCA's, and then reverse engineer the MITAH cable. That way I can connect the Infinity to the Sony RCA splitter.

Since I probably wont get the new splitter till next week...I'll be empeg-less till then.

I also dry fit the sled install in the DIN slot. The Montero has a double-din. I removed the plastic pocket (that also fits wonderfully into my "empty" sled, moved the infinity down and put the sled on top. It almost fit perfectly. I'll have to dremel the console a little to accomadate the small tabs on the edge of the sled. But it should be a breeze.

Adios,

Mike

#18378 - 13/02/2002 00:17 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System! [Re: smitty225]
smitty225
new poster

Ok folks, I got back from sunny Florida, Monday night, and began cobbling together my custom install.

I used a cheep continuity tester to pin out the Mitah cable and custom make the male DIN<-> male RCA cable. If your going ths route this take your time and insulate the DIN pins after you solder them (boy those wires are small). The pin out is thus:

Pin 1 = Amp Remote
Pin 2 = Ground (for all the RCA's)
Pin 3 = left front
Pin 4 = right front
Pin 5 = left rear
Pin 6 = right rear

I was careful and wire tied everything after I finished soldering. I wont bore you with all the details, but I could barely get all those wires and the Sony splitter in the din slot. I did need to dremel the console cover a little, but that only took a few minutes.

I turned the key and my empeg booted right up. I listened to a few tunes, then turned it off. Hit the power button on the radio and it too, came right on. Funny, I didn't have to put in the security code, although I did unplug it from the harness at one point.

The only thing thats kinda weird is the visuals seem to be stuck on "Now and Next". Anyone have any ideas why? I'm still running 1.03 (I probably upgrade later this week).

#18379 - 13/02/2002 09:45 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System! [Re: smitty225]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The only thing thats kinda weird is the visuals seem to be stuck on "Now and Next".

This is a FAQ Entry, in fact it is the most common question ever asked about the player. But, after a moment's reflection, you should be able to figure out why this is happening without even having to read the FAQ. Just think about it. Hint: It only happens when you put it in the car.

#18380 - 17/02/2002 23:11 Re: Empeg with my factory Infinity System! [Re: tfabris]
smitty225
new poster

Thanks Tony. After a about a day, I did figure it out. At first I thought it was something unique to my player/situation. Then after checking for responses to my last message and there weren't any, I figured I must have posted a dumb question and the answer was a common one. I checked the FAQ. And yep! there it was.

I LOVE the FAQ. We couldn't ask for a better one. But, like lots of other tech heads, I figured it out by playing with it.

Thanks.