Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#185945 - 21/10/2003 22:06 Changing default internet browser
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
My computer is currently set up to use Netscape as the default internet browser. If I click on a link in an email or on this bbs, it uses Netscape to go to the location the link points to.

I would like to change this behavior, so that Internet Explorer is my default browser.

Start/Settings/ControlPanel/InternetOptions/Programs/... and then checking the box that says "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" does not do this. I have checked the box, rebooted the computer, and still every link I click brings up Netscape.

I have looked at every setting I can find in Netscape and cannot find anything that would make it think it was the default browser.

Maybe a registry setting somewhere?

tanstaafl.

#185946 - 21/10/2003 22:19 Re: Changing default internet browser [Re: tanstaafl.]
DeadFire
addict

After changing that setting, if you run Internet Explorer yourself, it should actually ask you if you want it to be the default browser. It doesn't check to make sure it's the default browser until you start it yourself (by double-clicking on the blue "e" on your desktop).

Edit: Or, although I gather you may not want to do this, uninstalling Netscape should make Windows revert to IE.

#185947 - 22/10/2003 04:31 Re: Changing default internet browser [Re: tanstaafl.]
tman
carpal tunnel

If you're running a recentish version of Windows then there should be "Set Program Access and Defaults" in the Start Menu. You can select the default browser from there.

#185948 - 22/10/2003 20:31 Re: Changing default internet browser [Re: tman]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

You can select the default browser from there.

Excellent.

That looked like it would solve the problem. But I choose Internet Explorer as the default browser, exit the "Set Program Acess and Defaults" program, go back into it and my Internet Explorer choice didn't stick -- it's back to "Use current Browser" and sure enough, my default is still Netscape.

I want to keep Netscape around for about another year. All I use it for now is to access old emails in my "Trash" file, and I don't do that very often. Perhaps I could delete and re-install it, making sure that I don't check the "Make Netscape your default browser" box.

tanstaafl.

#185949 - 31/10/2003 19:44 Re: Changing default internet browser [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Update.

Without my having done anything (couldn't figure out anything to do), a week and a half has gone by, and all of a sudden my default browser is now Internet Explorer.

Don't ask me. It's FM as far as I'm concerned

tanstaafl.

#185950 - 31/10/2003 19:56 Re: Changing default internet browser [Re: tanstaafl.]
tman
carpal tunnel

You shouldn't post things like that. Windows will notice that it's actually done the right thing and change back overnight now