Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#187036 - 27/10/2003 11:26 PING: pca - Jet cars on Scrapheap Challenge
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
EXCELLENT programme yesterday, they had to build a jet powered car in the ten hours. I hadn't watched much of this series, but this was a real challenge.

There is some nice info on the website about the challenge:
www.channel4.com/scrapheap

For the pulse jet engine I suspect that the last 90 degree elbow they couldn't find was helpfully "pointed out" in the scrap heap, since we didn't see him actually finding it!

One of the experts just posted a link on of of my regular newsgroups, there's some nice information and awesome videos:

http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/

He hopes to build cart and break (or rather "set") the land-speed record for a pulse jet powered vehicle.

Gareth

#187037 - 27/10/2003 12:28 Re: PING: pca - Jet cars on Scrapheap Challenge [Re: g_attrill]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
i got most of it on vid

but we should really get the empeg BBs team together hell i am sure we could find enough skilled folk round here

and i want to be on it since i am probably the best here with a gas axe

#187038 - 27/10/2003 12:42 Re: PING: pca - Jet cars on Scrapheap Challenge [Re: thinfourth2]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
I applied for the second series, years ago, along with a couple of like-minded friends. We were turned down, and I think it was because they changed the format to only allow for teams comprised of workmates from a particular company.

Some of their challenges have been quite interesting, although in several cases they cheated. The high-power rocketry and steam car episodes particularly irked me, for several reasons.

I'm up for another go, though.

pca

#187039 - 27/10/2003 14:11 Re: PING: pca - Jet cars on Scrapheap Challenge [Re: pca]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Well if you want a hammer wielding, gas axe happy marine engineer let me know

#187040 - 27/10/2003 14:47 Re: PING: pca - Jet cars on Scrapheap Challenge [Re: pca]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Some of their challenges have been quite interesting, although in several cases they cheated.

Apparently the experts can request pretty much whatever "scrap" they want to be placed in the heap, but I think the rest is picked so that there are several things they could use to make the item. Eg. in this one they picked a table, but I expect there were quite a few items seeded that could have been used.

It says "application details coming soon", dunno what the rules are this time. It seems that all the teams are either workmates or somehow linked. If you phrased the application the right way you should stand a good chance of competing.

As for success, it is clearly luck of the draw - a) which challenge you get, and c) which expert you get (and their solution). I suspect they pair the more competent teams with the most difficult solutions.

Go empeggers!!

Gareth

#187041 - 27/10/2003 15:04 Re: PING: pca - Jet cars on Scrapheap Challenge [Re: g_attrill]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
A team with Patrick and Paul, Scrapheap Challenge watch out!

Andy M

#187042 - 27/10/2003 22:16 Re: PING: pca - Jet cars on Scrapheap Challenge [Re: andym]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Then they'd need Mark to adapt hijack to control it, and Tony to write the FAQ.