Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#189822 - 17/11/2003 17:53 Anyone ever looked into TOMTOM Navigator maps ?
beamer
stranger

Hi guys... i was wondering, now there is sort of navigation for the US users, but here in europe (denmark) we cant use the same mapdata as you... have anyone looked at tomtom navigation maps (www.tomtom.com) - they have a SDK for about 200$ .. would this be usable for making mapdata for the empeg?

#189823 - 18/11/2003 11:09 Re: Anyone ever looked into TOMTOM Navigator maps ? [Re: beamer]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
I think most people would be more interested if a free source of maps could be found for Europe. It's suprising to me that really the only country that considers map data collected by government agencies public domian is the US. I'm sure that some European government agencies have created or have access to digital maps of their country- but won't go through the trouble of releasing it to the public. Your tax dollars at work I guess.

#189824 - 19/11/2003 02:51 Re: Anyone ever looked into TOMTOM Navigator maps ? [Re: siberia37]
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
Tomtom Maps are great, I use Tomtom on my iPAQ. Best software ever bought in contrary to the Falk maps (much cheaper).

May it be possible to use the free (?) Mapblast Maps? I didn't find vectormaps but only jpgs, but if someone has an idea to convert it'll be good to get maps from only one source for the whole world.

Rolf

#189825 - 19/11/2003 11:32 Re: Anyone ever looked into TOMTOM Navigator maps [Re: rowitech]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I didn't find vectormaps but only jpgs, but if someone has an idea to convert it'll be good to get maps from only one source for the whole world.

FWIW, some programs use map pictures (vs vector maps) and postion them/the cursor based on knowing the latitude/longitude for the corners. Taking a very quick look at the site, it might be possible to do that based on info in the url - but I far from certain.

/Michael