Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#190586 - 23/11/2003 15:06 hijack ftp not listing all files/dirs?
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
I 'm having a problem with the FTP client I use to download stuff off the player where it no longer lists all the files and directories with a directory listing. I haven't changed any settings in my client, and a couple of days ago it worked fine, but I have done some emploding new tunes on and also upgrading hijack (from 344 to 346, and when I noticed the problem..to 347).

When I try to connect via my normal client (FTP Voyager) it hangs on initial directory listing. So I tried using Windows command-line client...log in, ask for a directory listing and it only shows me a couple of the items that should be there. It's only listing "sbin", "swapfile", "index.html", and "fidsift.sh"

I can "cd" into other directories, like drive0, but I get nothing there with a directory listing.

The strange thing is, IE works fine to browse via FTP, but IE makes for a lousy FTP client and won't work for my purposes. I'm not trying to move one or two files here, but many files from the player to my workstation, and I can't do that unless I (or my client, rather) can get a directory listing of them.

So if it works in IE, is it a client issue? If it's a client issue, why did it work until very recently, and why doesn't command-line work any better? What would cause a dir listing in root to show some of the entries, but not all?

#190587 - 23/11/2003 18:04 Re: hijack ftp not listing all files/dirs? [Re: cwillenbrock]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
It's your FTP client software.

Try turning OFF "passive FTP" if you can find that setting somewhere.

Cheers

#190588 - 23/11/2003 19:35 Re: hijack ftp not listing all files/dirs? [Re: mlord]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

I did. In fact..it's been disabled this whole time. Like I said, it used to work..it just recently stopped working, and I haven't chagned anything.

Did double check passive FTP setting today, but it's still disabled.

#190589 - 23/11/2003 20:26 Re: hijack ftp not listing all files/dirs? [Re: cwillenbrock]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Did you try to stop using the command line FTP? Did that fix it?

#190590 - 23/11/2003 22:53 Re: hijack ftp not listing all files/dirs? [Re: cwillenbrock]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Can anyone tell me the difference in how the LS and DIR commands are executed by kftp? DIR lists all the files and directories normally, where LS only lists the files in root (and none of the directories) via the command line client.

As far as I can tell, my GUI FTP client is using a LIST command, which gets a "150 Opening data connection" response but hangs. Though the LIST command doesn't seem valid from the command-line client.

Does this help make the problem make any more sense? I'm entirely open to the possibility that the problem is with my client, but I'm baffled as to why the behavior would change with my making changes to only the player.

I suppose I could try another client, but I'd love to know what went wrong here, instead of switching clients.

#190591 - 24/11/2003 01:34 Re: hijack ftp not listing all files/dirs? [Re: cwillenbrock]
NT2OOO

Loc: ITALY
same problem with FlashFXP no pasv
with old hij version ftp worked.

#190592 - 24/11/2003 09:15 Re: hijack ftp not listing all files/dirs? [Re: cwillenbrock]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Find a better FTP client -- works fine with all of the RFC standard clients I have here (except that Hijack does not support PASiVe mode).

If you want to diagnose further, you could add this (below) to your config.ini on the player, and then post the resulting serial port output captured while attempting FTP.

[hijack]
kftpd_verbose=1

-ml

#190593 - 24/11/2003 09:32 Re: hijack ftp not listing all files/dirs? [Re: cwillenbrock]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
You can send commands directly from the command line client instead of letting it parse them with "quote"
quote dir
quote ls

of course it may deal poorly with the reply.