Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#204536 - 15/02/2004 20:23 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: jim_55063]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't see what the point is in the search and insert mode.
Its point is to allow you to call up one song and having it play without affecting or getting rid of all the other stuff you're currently listening to.

Example: I'm listening to a long playlist of background music while I'm working. Then I get a hankering to listen to a particular song. Maybe that song is in the playlist, maybe it's not. But I can search it up by title and it will play as the next tune, without interrupting the flow of the music that's playing right now. The song fits nicely into the list as if it were meant to be there all along, with the songs flowing smoothly along one into the other.

In fact, I don't see how that's much different from what you want to do, except that in this case, it has the advantage of not interrupting the flow of music, and also has the advantage of being able to look up songs that aren't in the current playlist. To do what you want to do (jump immediately to the seached song in the playlist) has pretty much the same audible result as a search/insert followed by pressing the next track button.

You still haven't answered my question, though, which is: Why is it critical for you to jump forward in the playlist? I would understand if playlist position was important when you're listening to an album sequentially, but you specifically said that you didn't rip all your albums and you only have your favorite songs on the player. So listening to sequential albums doesn't seem to be what you're after. So what is it then?

Why would you have the player take the song you said you wanted it to play and put it in front of the current song when you could be able to just play it now?
You can just play it now, that's one of the options ("replace"). You can also insert it, and play it now by pressing one button.

Although you keep saying "in front of", and I hope that's just a difference in chosen semantics. To me, "in front of" would mean before the current track. What "Insert" actually does is put it after the current track so that it comes up as the next song. If you really think that "Insert" puts it before the current track, then I understand why you would think that's useless. Good thing it doesn't work that way.

If you wanted it played directly after the current song then they should call it enqueing or something right??
Yes, enqueue is also one of the options. The difference between Enqueue and Insert is subtle, and is described in the FAQ.

#204537 - 15/02/2004 21:01 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: tfabris]
jim_55063
new poster

Okay, I have my big playlist organized alphabetically. I think yn0t_'s comment put it best. Here it is:

"FWIW, I can actually understand why one might want this, but only in a scenario where your playlists have some specific sequence built into them. If the playlist is shuffled, then the effect becomes a lot like doing an Insert and then skipping a track. If the playlist is in order, however, the proposed functionality becomes a lot more like if you had an MP3 CD with 150 tracks on it and you're on track 30, but you want to skip ahead to track 120, and then listen to 121. In the empeg methodology, you can search for 120, but after it's done, it's going to play track 31.

I personally wouldn't have a whole lot of use for this search mode, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid request. Your listening and organizational strategies and mine aren't the only valid ones on the planet. "

When I use the search and insert mode, the alpha sorting gets all messed up. Granted you could just reload the playlist to bring it back to normal but that just seems inconvenient to me. As far as flowing smoothly from one to another, think about this scenario. I'm listening to rap and my girlfriend calls and pisses me off. Then I want to listen to hard rock. At this time I don't want to wait for it to flow into the song that I choose so then that 'advantage' means didly squat:) Sure the song is only a press away but why make it like that when you don't need to?? Those would be the 2 main advantages that I can think of: It doesn't mess up your alpha order of play and it simplifies the search process by a step. You ask why it's critical that I have this, it's not critical, I just think it would be a great improvement in my and I'm sure other people's cases. Have I answered your question?? P.S. I understand the diff. b/t enqueue and insert. P.S.S. I did mean after not in front of the track.

#204538 - 15/02/2004 21:04 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: jim_55063]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm listening to rap and my girlfriend calls and pisses me off. Then I want to listen to hard rock.
Heh... Forget debates about search modes and listening styles... I think we need to set aside a button just for this.

#204539 - 15/02/2004 22:58 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: jim_55063]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Well thank's to everybody for all of the imput. In reply to genixia's post. I actually have like 8 different playlists divided from the one big one but my point in starting this post was to see if anybody could come up with a way to make this search mode a reality.

Anything is possible, but what you are asking is not available today. This would require re-coding of the player software or a hack on top of the player software to make it work, both not likely unless there is huge demand.

Not everybody has the time to rip their entire cd collection and upload it onto their mp3. Also many people don't have and don't want to spend money on a good mp3 tagger so that they can create mood lists like was mentioned before.

How long have you been using your Empeg? I'm just wondering, since it has a tendancy to change the way you listen to your music. Since what you desire is not quite available yet maybe you could try to put fourth a bit of effort and see what happens. I've personally spent many hours re-tagging a lot of my music. It was all well worth it since now I have all my music tagged exactly the way I want, and I can shift my music to fit my moods very easily as a result.

MP3 Tag Studio is what I use and it is fully functional without registering (although it is worth the $20 I spent to register it).

#204540 - 15/02/2004 23:24 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: tonyc]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Haha, yeah, maybe we can program it by redefining "punch all 5 buttons at once with closed fist".

#204541 - 15/02/2004 23:25 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: cushman]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Cushman, this is not directed at you, but you were the last post, so...

The only thing I wish the player would do is be able to randomize more than 1 playlist. Say for example that I'm listening to 80's, but also want the onion tracks thrown in for fun. As it is now, I can open the 80's playlist and have fun, open the Onion playlist ans insert it. All of a sudden, I have 1000 80's songs, with 200 Onion snippets stuck in the middle. It will NOT randomize all of them together. When it gets to the Onion bits, it'll play all 200 in a row. Randomized, but before it ever plays another 80's song.

This also happens a lot when I want to listen to the 60's AND 70's. No way to do it. Unless I create another playlist that has both groups in it. But with the number of possible combinations, there is no way to predict what mood I'll be in.

I mean, If I wanted to listen to Pink Floyd, Rush, and Zeppelin I have to either pick one, and listen to that group, then pick another, listen to that group, then pick the third.... It would totally rock if I could just add all 3 and let it randomize.

#204542 - 15/02/2004 23:35 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: lectric]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Ahh, but I do this all the time. Just re-select the Shuffle mode you would like and it will re-shuffle the current playlist.

Sometimes I'll queue up a custom playlist with Palantir, then add all my short comedy bits that I have in a separate playlist at the end. Then I just press Down, Shuffle, Random, and you've got a mix.

#204543 - 15/02/2004 23:37 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: cushman]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
You HAVE to be kidding me. This has bothered me for 2 freakin years. I had no idea that would work. Thanks, man.

#204544 - 15/02/2004 23:55 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: lectric]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

LOL..

#204545 - 16/02/2004 02:18 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: jim_55063]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Okay, I have my big playlist organized alphabetically

That seems really... weird. But no more weird than the way I have my 400-track "favorites" playlist organized.

I wanted some sort of pseudo-random arrangement for all the songs in the playlist so they would always stay mixed up... so my basic playlist sort is by length of song.

I usually randomize it in addition to the base sort, but even if I don't, I still end up with an interesting mix.

tanstaafl.

#204546 - 16/02/2004 11:51 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: jim_55063]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Okay, I have my big playlist organized alphabetically. (...) When I use the search and insert mode, the alpha sorting gets all messed up.
Okay, temporarily putting aside the question of why anyone would want to listen to a random collection of songs alphabetically...

Why is it important that you be able to jump to that location in the alphabet just to hear one song?

#204547 - 16/02/2004 12:48 Re: New Way Of Searching? [Re: jim_55063]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
First, lemme just reiterate what everyone else is saying more directly: What you want doesn't exist in the player and is unlikely to be added.
I'm listening to rap and my girlfriend calls and pisses me off. Then I want to listen to hard rock.
Are you aware that you can tweak the currently running playlist by genre?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2