Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#204949 - 16/04/2004 09:35 Re: Firefox again rubs wrong [Re: ninti]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I just went to Google and hit the News link...and nothing happened.
This, I think is something hitting the popup sensor. I've see it a lot. You can get past it by opening the link in a new tab or window. Annoying, but at least you don't have to restart.

#204950 - 16/04/2004 17:11 Re: Firefox again rubs wrong [Re: wfaulk]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Yeah, that works. Thanks.

#204951 - 18/04/2004 03:52 Re: Firefox again rubs wrong [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'll give MyIE2 a stab, thanks.
I've been messing with MyIE2 and it's got a lot of good points. It's got the tabbed browsing feature that made Firefox so useful to me. And it's highly configurable. Although I have to change a lot of configuration options in order to make behave the way I want it to (I think I had to change something like three options to make the tabbed browsing behave identically to Firefox), the fact that those options are there is very nice.

It just did something very troubling to me, though. I was in the middle of a session, I had opened a few tabs representing posts on this very BBS. I pressed Reply on one of the posts, got the message composition screen, and composed my reply. When I pressed "continue", the BBS told me that there was an error: Only registered users may reply. That's odd, since I was definitely positively logged in... It only gives me the option to reply and presents me with the composition screen if I'm logged in. And since it was all part of the same set of tabbed windows, I had not started a new session or anything.

When I pressed the Back button to get my composition screen back so that I could copy the text to the clipboard to paste into another reply attempt, then the BBS gave me a different error message, again saying I was not logged in.

This behavior, to me, is consistent with the hypothesis that MyIE2 somehow lost my BBS cookie in the middle of a browsing session, at a point in time between the time I pressed "Reply" and the time I submitted the reply by pressing "Continue". This does not give me a lot of confidence in MyIE2...

#204952 - 18/04/2004 19:16 Re: Firefox again rubs wrong [Re: tfabris]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> I think I had to change something like three options to make the tabbed browsing behave identically to Firefox

Hehe, yeah, I think it took something like three options for me to make the Firefox tabs act identically to MyIE2.

> This does not give me a lot of confidence in MyIE2

Hmm, that does sound annoying. Well, all I can tell you is I have never gotten that error when posting here.

#204953 - 19/04/2004 02:57 Re: Firefox again rubs wrong [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
This behavior, to me, is consistent with the hypothesis that MyIE2 somehow lost my BBS cookie in the middle of a browsing session, at a point in time between the time I pressed "Reply" and the time I submitted the reply by pressing "Continue". This does not give me a lot of confidence in MyIE2...
Every browser I've used on the BBS (MSIE, Netscape 4, Mozilla, Konqueror) loses the cookie from time to time. I agree it's especially annoying in mid-reply. I don't think it's a client-side problem.

Peter

#204954 - 19/04/2004 09:35 Re: Firefox again rubs wrong [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I used to have this problem a lot, and related ones, but ever since I've started logging out and back in each time I use a new browser, I've not seen it. (That is, read BBS at work, go home, open browser, log out, log in, read BBS, go back to work, open browser, log out, log in, read BBS. But read BBS at work, go home, don't/ read BBS, go back to work, open browser, read BBS.)

#204955 - 19/04/2004 09:49 Re: Firefox again rubs wrong [Re: peter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
From time to time I'll visit the board and not be logged in, but that's like once a month. I've never once been logged out in the middle of a session. I have had a problem several times where the board will say that I forgot to fill some field in my post (when I didn't), then I'll have to go back and retype it because I forgot to copy the text.

#204956 - 19/04/2004 10:46 Re: Firefox again rubs wrong [Re: peter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't think it's a client-side problem.
Actually, it happened again and I figured out what was wrong. It was a client-side problem, but it was essentially PEBKAC error. Here's what I'd done:

- I like clearing cache and cookies frequently, so I'd enabled the MyIE2 feature to do so on each browser exit.

- But I hadn't exited the MyIE2 session, I was in the middle of a post. So I knew that the clear-on-browser-exit hadn't been the culprit.

- Actually, it turns out that it had been the culprit. I was browsing another site in a completely different session of MyIE2 (not just a different tab, but a whole separate window) and had closed that window.

Conclusion: MyIE2's feature to clear cache and cookies on exit applies to each instance of the program, not to all instances of the program globally. Wonder if they take feature requests...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4