Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#205174 - 17/02/2004 11:06 need help transporting a miata in Florida
f_devocht

Loc: Belgium
I've bought a miata in Ft. Lauderdale and I need to get it up to Jacksonville (to ship it back to Belgium) somewhere between feb 26 and march 1st.

Problem is that the car is not registered and I cannot get a temp tag for it since I'm a non-US resident. (It IS possible, but very expensive and lots of paperwork so it's a nono)

I was thinking of towing it behind my rental, but these don't come with a hitch. Actually they don't even allow it (I called).

I've looked into renting a truck with trailer to transport it to Jacksonville, but that's very very expensive.

I was hoping for a good soul willing to help me out. I can rent a tow dolly but I have no towing car. Anybody want to help me out? I'd cover all your expenses & food etc ...
The miata is in Ft. Lauderdale and needs to get to Jacksonville somewhere between feb 26 and march 1st. I'm flying back on march 2nd...

Frank Devocht

#205175 - 17/02/2004 11:12 Re: need help transporting a miata in Florida [Re: f_devocht]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Renting a small Uhaul truck with tow dolly for a couple hours should not be too expensive.

I've also used Budget in the past. I don't know if they rent tow dollys thouhgh.

#205176 - 17/02/2004 17:49 Re: need help transporting a miata in Florida [Re: f_devocht]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Problem is that the car is not registered and I cannot get a temp tag for it

How much of a risk taker are you?

How bad would the consequences be if you got caught driving the car unregistered? If you did it at night, chances are quite small that you would come to the attention of any law enforcement people. I'm guessing (just guessing, mind you) that you would be looking at a $50-$75 fine as a worst case scenario if you got caught.

Of course, Florida may be different from Alaska as far as license plates go. In Alaska, you buy a car, register it and put the plates on it, and those plates stay on the car for life. You sell the car, the plates stay with it. My faithful old Land Cruiser snow plow truck has plates on it that are 36 years old.

If the Miata has no license plates on it at all, then it will be a lot more obvious that it is unregistered and your chances of being apprehended will be greatly increased.

tanstaafl.

#205177 - 17/02/2004 19:07 Re: need help transporting a miata in Florida [Re: tanstaafl.]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
If it has no plates then you might try putting a peice of paper where the plates go that reads something like "Lost Plate"... I've seen a few people driving around with signs like that.

-Greg

#205178 - 17/02/2004 22:08 Re: need help transporting a miata in Florida [Re: f_devocht]
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I can get you a 60 day lousisana Temp registration amd tag. would that help you?

#205179 - 17/02/2004 22:10 Re: need help transporting a miata in Florida [Re: Whitey]
Whitey

one of these days ill learn to proof my posts....registration and temp tag

#205180 - 17/02/2004 22:13 Re: need help transporting a miata in Florida [Re: Whitey]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
You could always edit it and you have the choice of marking it as edited or not. There is a time limit but I'm not sure what it is. You are well within it at this point, though.

#205181 - 17/02/2004 22:24 Re: need help transporting a miata in Florida [Re: f_devocht]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
A few years back I bought Datsun 510 in Louisiana on eBay and had it shipped to North Carolina for $250. I found a place on the internet, no longer in business, that contracts folks to haul cars from point A to point B for used car dealers. He put the car on the top of his car trailer on his pickup and hauled the other 4-5 cars to the dealers then dropped my car off at my house. It took a week to find someone to ship the car up here but it was worth it...

Also, I am assuming that you are in Jacksonville, FL, get a tow truck to haul it. I just bought a Datsun 620 pickup on eBay that was 100 miles from my house and the flatbed tow was $125.

Sean in NC
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#205182 - 17/02/2004 22:31 Re: need help transporting a miata in Florida [Re: russmeister]
Whitey

yeah you are right, but i feel like everyone should know how careless i am. Why? I dont know