Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#21311 - 30/10/2000 01:12 MB Quart Questions
fredq
new poster

Loc: Menlo Park, CA
I have heard some good things on this BBS about the MB Quarts, but am wondering which models people like. The brochure I have lists 4 series: Q, Referenz Premium, Referenz and Autobahn. In addition, they have "SoundSets", such as the QM 325.21 BMW for 3-series BMWs, which the web page hints are Referenz level (I have a 98 BMW M3)

These different series have basically 3 different crossovers; the Q, Musicomp and Standard.

All of these options are rather confusing to me. When people rave about how good MB Quarts are, do they mean only the Q series, or Quart's in general?

I am still deciding on all of my system, but have settled on a Hifonics Z700 amp (5 channels: 4x50 and 1x200), and am thinking about a referenz premium level, musicomp equipped MB Quart for the front. If the BMW sound set is a referenz premium that is perfect, since it is a three-way component set with 5.5/4/.75. Otherwise I may go with a PSC 213, which has a musicomp crossover and 5.5/1 drivers.

For the rest I am thinking a JL Audio 10" sub with a custom enclosure (the shop I am using likes JL Audios), and the stock Harmon Kardons as rear fill.

Does anyone have any advice on which MB Quarts I should go for?

Thanks,
-fred

#21312 - 30/10/2000 21:47 Re: MB Quart Questions [Re: fredq]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Does anyone have any advice on which MB Quarts I should go for?

I don't know that I can offer the definitive word on this... but I can tell you my own personal experiences for what that's worth.

In the corners of my dash (at the base of the windshield) I have had four different sets of speakers. The original factory 3.5" speakers were replaced with a pair of Blaupunkts. They were OK, but nothing extraordinary. The Blauies were replaced with a pair of "Crystal" brand speakers my stereo shop had -- one of those "Here, see if you like them" deals. They didn't seem much different from the Blaupunkts. I smoked the Crystals (my own carelessness) trying to maximize SPL for an IASCA competition, so we tried the 4" MB Quart Q-series co-axials in place of the Crystals. The difference was absolutely staggering. My sound stage came up about eight inches higher. The muddiness caused by my mid-range door speakers was gone. Those two 4" speakers came near to overwhelming the rest of the system. In that particular application (4" coaxials in the corners of my dash) I would never consider anything else.

I have other MB Quart speakers (5.25" and 6") that are the lesser quality levels, and they seem OK, but not extraordinary.

Take it for what it's worth, I guess...

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"