Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#214867 - 28/04/2004 19:52 Legal music downloads, charged per Mb ?
MarkH

Is this for real ?

http://www.allofmp3.com/index2.shtml

Regards

Mark

#214868 - 28/04/2004 20:03 Re: Legal music downloads, charged per Mb ? [Re: MarkH]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
That site has been posted several times. I doubt it is legal in the USA.

Matt

#214869 - 29/04/2004 08:13 Re: Legal music downloads, charged per Mb ? [Re: MarkH]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
I use it routinely. Rips are decent, tags usually OK.

A caveat regarding encoding: some CDs are encoded at CBR (usually 192kb/s, but some only 128). For most CDs the user can choose encoder and bit rate (I use lame with alt-preset standard). However, this encoding-on-demand is not done from original rips, but from 384kb/s CBR encodings (which are expanded on the fly and then recompressed). I did not hear any artifacts stemming from this, but they are bound to be there waiting for a pair of golden ears to hear them.

They recently introduced possibility of downloading 'original' wav files (or encoding using them as the source). However, this is available for relatively few CDs and these downloads cost twice as much, two cents per MB.

There is also a similar Spanish service, but I prefer these Russians for several reasons, from price to encoding flexibility.

Both of these operations claim to have agreements with local outfits that collect tax (err, royalty) from radio-stations, dance joints, bars and others who play copyrightet music in non-private setting. Note that one of them is in EU, the fact which could be considered as lending some credibility to their claims of legality.

Sorry if this was already said elsewhere.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue