Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#21593 - 31/10/2000 16:25 RMS visuals
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
The three visuals displaying RMS values for L/R channels seems to have a problem. This is most obvious on the VU meter. I have decided not to echo this to bugs yet because I am not able to prove it is not just an artefact of my music/system.

At pause, the meter needles "jam" at the position they were at prior to the pause. They don't for example drop back in a damped way to zero. This is also evinced on the other "Bar" type meters. When not paused, at the end of the playlist the meters drop correctly to the zero positions as you would expect.

However, at passages of silence in various test pieces, each meter does fall back to zero. Well, almost - in all three meters, the left channel drops back to the end of the first "block", instead of back against the zero stop. It is as if there is an offset on the left channel, which is shown as a needle stuck above zero. This is also the case with the Bar meters when playing the same silent passages; the left channel still has a small offset value at zero sound levels.

Is anyone else observing this and can replicate it? If so, please post it here and I will report it officially.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#21594 - 31/10/2000 18:02 Re: RMS visuals [Re: schofiel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
At pause, the meter needles "jam" at the position they were at prior to the pause. They don't for example drop back in a damped way to zero.

Well, a quick stroll through some of the visuals leads me to the following really deep, insightful conclusions: Some of the visuals pause when you pause the player. Some of the visuals keep working when you pause the player but they just repeat a pattern, they don't follow the music (which isn't playing, of course). And some of the visuals perform as you'd expect -- as the sound dies, the visuals die with them.

Hey, nobody said that all the visuals had to behave consistently relative to one another, right?

Now let's see somebody make up a spreadsheet detailing just which visuals behave in which fashion.

It is as if there is an offset on the left channel, which is shown as a needle stuck above zero.

I don't see this with my player. Perhaps you need to put a drop of very light lubricant on the pivot point of your left side meter needle?

:-)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#21595 - 02/11/2000 04:55 Re: RMS visuals [Re: tanstaafl.]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I don't see this with my player. Perhaps you need to put a drop of very light lubricant on the pivot point of your left side meter needle?

Damn, I've just run out of pixel lube. I've had a tube of that stuff hanging around for years, and then just when you need it...

Hey, nobody said that all the visuals had to behave consistently relative to one another, right?

In this case, these three do - which implies their data source is the same, even though their representation is different.

No, there is very definitely an offset in the left channel values for the RMS displays during playback. I'm going to have to generate a test tone at the same level on both channels to test this.

#21596 - 04/11/2000 17:09 Re: RMS visuals [Re: schofiel]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
It is as if there is an offset on the left channel
I have noticed this too.

#21597 - 07/11/2000 04:20 Re: RMS visuals [Re: muzza]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
The RMS visuals did have an offset bug in an early version of their release. This has now been rectified.

When the music is paused, the player stops calling the visual analyse function, and therefore the same data is passed to the draw function until analyse is called again. For some visuals this has the desired affect of retaining the last buffer of data, for others it appears not to make sense as no sound can be heard, but the display registers a sound input.

The player does flush the buffer on a pause, but stops passing this buffer to the visuals analyse function until playing is resumed. Little can be done about this, but the problem may be rectified in a future release of the player.