Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#222334 - 11/11/2002 11:51 Rio stopped working...
nightingales

Loc: GA/USA
All of a sudden, my Rio does not work anymore. It connects OK to the server initially. What will happen is, if you select a track to be played, it will start playing for 2 seconds and then just stop and revert back to a menu-free state. You can select again and play, but it always happens the same - independent on which track it is or how you select it. Anyone had that happen before or (hope!) have a solution even?

N.

#222335 - 01/12/2002 10:46 Re: Rio stopped working... [Re: nightingales]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Maybe the power supply is not working reliably. They seem poorly built and easily damaged, so maybe the load on it is causing its voltage to drop and cause a partial reset. You could try replacing the power supply. It's a longshot, but worth trying.

Stu

#222336 - 02/12/2002 06:55 Re: Rio stopped working... [Re: maczrool]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It's *not* the supply.

The supply is 12v, all the circuitry apart from the DAC 5v analogue supply is run from a 3.3v switcher - the voltage would have to drop out all the way so that the 3.3v switcher stopped - and at this point the reset monitor chip (which looks for a stable >2.93v supply) would reset the unit totally, hence you'd have press power to get it on, do a full reboot, etc.

Just stopping playing is a software/network issue. The first couple of seconds would be the first http request getting serviced (32k) - if it doesn't get the second and subsequent ones it'll stop.

Hugo

#222337 - 06/12/2002 14:38 Re: Rio stopped working... [Re: altman]
nightingales

Loc: GA/USA
Hi guys, thanks for the posts. It must be my Windows machine since I noticed other multimedia problems on it. Even though I re-installed Windows (Me) twice now, it still has those same problems. Upgrading MediaPlayer to the new v9 Beta fixed at least the player, but for example Musicmatch still crashes all the time. I did test a second Rio, btw., and saw the same problems so at that point I decided it must be the server. So, I am sure I am gonna get the "get a LINUX box!" message now, right? ;-)
On top of everything and not related, my harddrive with 50GB of music on it died. Backup? Backup? What was that again? ;-( Does anyone know a place where you could get a replacement HD controller board for a Maxtor drive?

#222338 - 06/12/2002 20:42 Re: Rio stopped working... [Re: nightingales]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, I am sure I am gonna get the "get a LINUX box!" message now, right? ;-)

Nah, just a "reinstall windows from scratch" message.