Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223363 - 15/07/2003 04:03 Tips to Get Clients Working?
Saki
stranger

Loc: London
Hi folks,

Have just got myself a receiver, but I'm having trouble getting any of the alternative clients to work. I don't really need any fancy features, just to be able to play shoutcast. I've tried RRR, Rioplay, and tRio, but without success. Here's what happens:

RRR: Hangs when the reciever screen says "LCD initialized ++"
Rioplay: Hangs on the Rioplay splash screen.
trio: Shows the splash, and says "waiting before retrying"

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with my installation: For RRR and Rioplay, I downloaded the receiver-xxx.arf files and renamed them to replace the orignal receiver.arf. This seems so easy that I'm not surprised it doesn't work! Surely I must need to do something else?! And where do I enter my shoutcast favorites?

For trio, I followed the download and install instructions for trio and riot, although didn't try installing JReceiver (partly because I'm not aware that i'm running "RioBoot" so didn't think that that was the cause of the problem).

I'm using ARM 1.03, Java runtime 1.4.2, and the server is Win98SE. I've disabled DHCP on my Ethernet router.

Would greatly appreciate some pointers

TIA

#223364 - 15/07/2003 04:24 Re: Tips to Get Clients Working? [Re: Saki]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Sounds like you might have your ip addresses in a twist.

1. What is your PC's ip address (open a DOS/Command prompt and type ipconfig)?

2. What address is being assigned to your Rio (the Audio Receiver Manager software will tell you)?

Cheers
Paul

#223365 - 15/07/2003 05:14 Re: Tips to Get Clients Working? [Re: pauln]
Saki
stranger

Hi Paul...thanks for the reply.

The server is 10.0.0.4, and the Rio is 10.0.0.5, so I guess that's OK...

Can you think of anything else I should try?

#223366 - 15/07/2003 05:27 Re: Tips to Get Clients Working? [Re: Saki]
pauln
enthusiast

With RioPlay, have you tried pressing the menu button while the splash screen is showing?

Otherwise, do you know how to use ethereal?

#223367 - 16/07/2003 15:48 Up and running...now a few Qs about tRio [Re: pauln]
Saki
stranger

So, after another evening of playing, I've got tRio up and running. Excellent. (Sadly, I had no luck getting RioPlay to get shoutcast running, and RRR kept freezing).

And now tRio's up working, I've got a few questions -- hope they're not too stupid, I'm not an IT guy so I've been stumbling my way through all this! And hopefully they're all yes/no questions

1. Is there any way to hide the Java window? (My server is a computer that my flatmates and (daily) visiting friends use for Internet and email. They have an amazing compusion to close every window when they finish their session, which has obvious implications for continuity of music coming out of the Rio!)

2. I understand that tRio is quite customizable. That being the case, is there any way that the order of the menus can be changed so that the "Mode: Queue n Play" or "Mode: Radio" can be put at the bottom of the menu list? (Reasoning: If I'm in radio mode, then it's much more likely that i'll want to retune to a different station than change into "queue n play" mode. So it would save navigating the menu to have "Select Station" as the first item in the list -- then only a double-click would be necessary to get into the retune menu. Similarly, it'd be useful to have "Artists" as the default option in the queue n play menu. This might seem lazy, but I use shoutcast heavily and retune a lot!)

3. When I play music from the server, the elapsed time counter doesn't start until about 5 seconds after the music starts coming out of the speakers. Is that normal?

4. I can't seem to find any bass/treble controls. Does tRio not support them?

TIA

#223368 - 18/07/2003 05:26 Re: Up and running...now a few Qs about tRio [Re: Saki]
pauln
enthusiast

Here goes:

1. The best way to do this would be to change trio.bat to invoke javaw rather than java. But then if you need to close it down, you'll have to use Task Manager.

2. Sorry, but there's no way of customising the menus. But if you want to change station quickly, just press ENTER from the main playback panel (and not MENU) - this should take you straight to the station list.

3. Hmmm, I thought I'd fixed this one. Anyone else experiencing this?

4. No, there's no bass/trebble stuff in tRio. I don't think any of the other replacement client's have it either, but the original one does. I had a took at this a while back and couldn't see an easy way of doing it.

Cheers
Paul

#223369 - 18/07/2003 11:34 Re: Up and running...now a few Qs about tRio [Re: pauln]
Saki
stranger

The ability to hit ENTER to access the stations list is excellent -- better than what i was asking for

And thanks for the tip about hiding the Java window. Alas, I'm afraid my lack of software skills is letting me down again: what do I need to edit in trio.bat exactly? I can see that there appears to be options for both windowed and windowless operation, but I can't see anything obvious about what i need to change...

Thanks again for all your help!

#223370 - 18/07/2003 12:31 Re: Up and running...now a few Qs about tRio [Re: Saki]
pauln
enthusiast

On the line after:

REM use this one to run "silently" - no windows on the host PC

Change "java" to "javaw" (the very 1st word on that line).

Cheers
Paul