Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224810 - 10/05/2004 11:03 Trying to resolve tRio issues *cast, radio
dbrower
Quiet One

I've finally gotten my environment stable enough to chip at some of
the minor issues that have been vexing me.

1. method=multicast/broadcast seem not to work.

2. two receivers trying to get at a single local radio stream don't work.

For problem #1, I have done packet tracing from the host running the trio server and verified that about the same number of packets are sent to appropriate target UDP addresses out the right interface with whatever method (168.192.0.x, 168.0.255.255, and 230.0.0.1). The receiver only seems to be listening to the unicast port. I could use a suggestion how to trace/debug the receiver side to see what addrs/ports it believes it is receiving. I may be willing to download a cross-compilation kit if it isn't a zillion steps.

For problem #2, I have a streamsicle server running on the same machine as the JReceiver and trio server. The first Rio is able to tune to the streamsicle as a radio station with no problem. If I try to tune the second Rio to the same station, it hangs. There is no problem having a winamp or itunes on some other computer tune to the streamsicle server at the same time, so this appears to be a trio problem. Any ideas what to look at?

thanks,
-dB

#224811 - 11/05/2004 09:25 Re: Trying to resolve tRio issues *cast, radio [Re: dbrower]
plympton
new poster

Are you in Linux? What Kernel?

I have the same problem when running either my server *OR* my clients off my Linksys Gigabit switch (the original one, not the Cisco rebranded one). I haven't done extensive packet sniffing, yet, but I plan to. I triend a Netgear 4-port Gig switch, and the same problem happened. I tried a plain 10/100 switch, and it worked fine. My router is a Siemens powerline 4-port switch (standard NAT + 4 ports + Powerline capability).

-Dan

#224812 - 11/05/2004 16:55 Re: Trying to resolve tRio issues *cast, radio [Re: plympton]
dbrower
Quiet One

Hmmm thought I replied, but 'taint here.

I'm using Suse 9.0 (soon 9.1).
I don't think it's the switch(es) unless is packet size related, which I'll try. If I do a ping -b 192.168.255.255, I get answers back from hosts all over the network, so I know broadcast is propagating. (I have two netgear gigabit switches and a noname 16 port between the linux host and some of the others that answered.)

It's probably also worth writing a multicast ping tester, to rule out the network.

I'm still thinking there is something about the riot code or the configuration that is wrong. Are there any other ideas what to try?

thanks,
-dB

#224813 - 12/05/2004 12:54 Re: Trying to resolve tRio issues *cast, radio [Re: dbrower]
dbrower
Quiet One

huh, another reply lost.

I tried broadcast ping with 1400 byte packets last night and got answers back from both Rios. So it's not a network problem. That leaves me looking at the riot code for clues.

-dB

#224814 - 22/05/2004 23:42 Re: Trying to resolve tRio issues *cast, radio [Re: dbrower]
dbrower
Quiet One

May have a lead -- it appears that large broadcast and multicast packets do not make it to the Rio. If I restrrict the packet size
to something less than the ethernet 1500 mtu, then the broadcast and multicast packets get there.

Of course, this places way more load on both ends, since there is no window in the trio protocol -- it's a strongly handshaked exchange.

What I see is that things that are sourced elsewhere or from files don't have much proglem with 1500, but the streamsicle server I am running on the same machine as a source fights the jreceviert/trio combination enough for CPU that there are significant drop outs at the receiver output. This is sad.

I am confused why the larger packets are messed up. I do not see fragment packets as I might have expected with either the broadcast or the unicast method, but the unicast "works" where
the multi/broadcast methods do not seem to deliver a packet to
the application code on the rio, causing it to eventually come back with a "more data" message.

So, I am more informed than before, but still puzzled.

-dB

#224815 - 22/05/2004 23:45 Re: Trying to resolve tRio issues *cast, radio [Re: dbrower]
dbrower
Quiet One

And, one of my radio issues is resolved with a source patch. If the shoutcast steam is mis-headered to say it has a "zero" bitrate, the trio server cheerfully takes and sets that as the bitrate, and the rio chokes. If zero is ignored, and left as default, then the rio figures it out.

Too bad there's no good way to play a Real stream for NPR.

-dB

#224816 - 27/05/2004 21:49 Re: Trying to resolve tRio issues *cast, radio [Re: dbrower]
bha
stranger

two things...
1) is this patch available? I see another comment over in Technical (tRIO Wireless Status) that talks about updates from 09-May-2004. Where are these patches and updates?

2) I too have radio stations that have stopped MP3 streams and are using Real and WindowsMedia formats. I have been working with trplayer and mplayer, using vsound to capture the audio and lame to encode it. The next step is to stream. I considered using the Ice suite, but it's more than I want or need. There is an Apache module that I think will do the trick. My goal is to have each station setup to launch a real-time transcoder when the DAR opens the URL for the specific station I have setup on my streamer. Should be efficient (only transcodes when you are listening).

I will post more when I have a proof of concept working. I'm about 70% there today.