Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#225816 - 04/07/2004 17:49 Does this product exist ?
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I've just bought myself a nice cheap Dell Axim X30 Pocket PC, thanks to Dell screwing up their pricing for a few hours last week I got it for £109+tax, rather than £229+tax. I haven't got it yet, it should be arriving tomorrow.

The Axim X30 looks like a great piece of kit with WiFi, Bluetooth and a 624Mhz processor (making it faster in theory than all but one of my PCs).

One downside for me though is that it uses SD cards rather than Compact Flash. My Canon 10D camera uses Compact Flash, but I would love to be able to use my Pocket PC for reviewing photos when out an about.

Is there a portable product out there that will either let you transfer the data from a compact flash to an sd card, or alternatively an SDIO device that can read compact flash cards? I can't find anything like it and I'm guess than such a beast doesn't exist.

I'm guessing that the Pocket PC has the same problem as the empeg, being that it is only a slave USB device, ruling out the possibility of controlling the camera from software on the Pocket PC.

#225817 - 04/07/2004 18:39 Re: Does this product exist ? [Re: andy]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Depending on how much you're willing to spend, I beleive you could get a compact flash to SD card, put that in your camera, and just pop the SD card out of it and pop it in the Axim. Of course then you'd have to buy all new expensive SD cards, but SD does seem to be the emerging standard so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Matthew

#225818 - 04/07/2004 19:26 Re: Does this product exist ? [Re: matthew_k]
andy
carpal tunnel

Like this http://www.psism.com/cidaii.htm

Hmm, might give that a try. I now have 2x512MB Compact Flash cards and 1x512MB SD card (ready for the Pocket PC).

Need to find someone on the UK who sells it though. I can find things like this http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=112368 , but that isn't going to work too well in my camera

#225819 - 04/07/2004 19:30 Re: Does this product exist ? [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Found one, but it isn't going to be any good.

"This adaptor is longer than a standard Compact Flash card and SD cards do not sit flush within it. The unit it designed to protrude from a standard Compact Flash slot and, as such, is not recommended for use with devices that have a closable slot."

http://www.widget.co.uk/asp/product.asp?...For=&PT_ID=