Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#228653 - 27/07/2004 19:19 Empeg visual watchers, take heed!
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
CNN.com: Alaskan driver tried for murder for a head on collision while (allegedly) watching a movie...

#228654 - 27/07/2004 19:31 Re: Empeg visual watchers, take heed! [Re: pgrzelak]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Urgh. Many things about that article annoy me.

Quote:
"It's an excessive charge for what happened here," he said. "This was not a murder. Even the state medical examiner said during cross-examination that the manner of death for the people in the other car was accidental."

Because the medical examiner is traditionally the one called upon to determine the status of the person who caused the accident. ("By examining the bodies of the decedents, I was able to determine that the other driver in the accident had had five beers shorty before plowing into them.")

Quote:
But equipping a truck with entertainment options that can be used while driving goes beyond a momentary distraction of putting on makeup or using a cell phone, he said.

"This takes forethought, this takes methodical steps," David Weiser said. "You have to go to the store, plop over money, install it, and install it so it can be used without a brake employed.

Because in order to put on makeup while driving, you apparently don't have to "go to the store and plop over money". Nor do you have to actually engage in the action of distracting yourself. What he's saying is that it'd be different if he'd just instead purchased a portable DVD player/monitor and put it on his dash. He wouldn't have had to install it in a specific manner then. Idiot.

Of course, all that being said, if this moron really was watching a movie while (not?) driving, then he should be locked away for a long time. It's just that the asinine arguments that people use and the equally asinine conclusions that they come to are insulting.

#228655 - 28/07/2004 12:18 Re: Empeg visual watchers, take heed! [Re: wfaulk]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
You're absolutely right... I constantly find myself agreeing with someone's conclusion only to be mortified when I see the trail of thought that got them there. Its especially the case in questions of morality and ethics.

#228656 - 28/07/2004 18:20 Re: Empeg visual watchers, take heed! [Re: wfaulk]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Quote:
...if this moron ...

One thing immediately comes to mind:

Attachments
227645-moran.jpg (70 downloads)

Edited by Jerz (28/07/2004 18:20)

#228657 - 28/07/2004 19:45 Re: Empeg visual watchers, take heed! [Re: pgrzelak]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
CNN.com: Alaskan driver tried for murder for a head on collision while (allegedly) watching a movie...

I think I know a guy who develops 3rd-party software for the empeg who needs to set aside 5 or 10 minutes to write a disclaimer.

(Incidentally, I also thought of the empeg visuals as soon as I read the story earlier.)