Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#229938 - 06/08/2004 01:15 Windows wake-on-open
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
My new laptop, a Sony Vaio PCG-Z1WA, will go to sleep when I close the lid. I like this. I can set it to do different things, too, in the Power Options control panel (WinXP). However, I'd really like it to wake when I open the lid. As it is, I can press any keyboard key or the power button to get it to wake, but chances are that if I'm opening it, I want to use it. While there's an option in the control panel for what to do when closing the lid, there's not an option for what to do when opening the lid. Should there be? Is this a hardware limitation? Does anyone else have such an option listed? Or is this something that needs to be set in the computer's BIOS or similar? If so, any ideas how I can get to it?

#229939 - 06/08/2004 01:31 Re: Windows wake-on-open [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I just checked my VAIO notebook and it looks like we have the same options. I remember the notebook coming with Sony's own power management software that had many more options in it, but the thing pissed me off so much I uninstalled it. It would override any settings I did manually in the Control Panel and it drove me nuts... but maybe it has the option you're looking for?

#229940 - 06/08/2004 01:54 Re: Windows wake-on-open [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I looked. It doesn't. I found both the BIOS (F2 on startup) and the control panel that sets BIOS options and neither one has the option I'm looking for. It seems like this should definitely be a BIOS/ACPI option (as Windows isn't running when the action occurs), so I think looking for it in Windows is probably the wrong thing.

I've sent Sony a support email. I imagine that if I get a response, though, it'll say something along the lines of "tough cookies, loser".

#229941 - 06/08/2004 02:41 Re: Windows wake-on-open [Re: wfaulk]
JaBZ
addict

Loc: NZ
On my Toshiba I have options to go into standby or hibernation when closing the lid. I have it set to hibernation.
When I open the lid, it will automatically come out of hibernation and load up what I had loaded last.
The beauty of this is, when it turns on, it shows the BIOS screen boot devices icons, where I can pick devices to boot from, if left it, it will boot Windows XP by default. I have a triple boot system, and dual HD bays, I have Fedora loaded on the second hard drive, so while my windows XP load is in hibernation I can boot into Linux as use it.

Although I have yet to sort out hibernation in Fedora!

I have no options to control what happens when I open the lid in both the Toshiba utility or the BIOS, but it will only start up automatically if it was hibernating. If it's in standby I have to press the power button or a key.. Which is understandable.

Are you using just the standard Windows power utility or a Sony power utility? I have to load all the Toshiba power management utils to get it to work properly.

cheers
Jaidev

#229942 - 06/08/2004 12:48 Re: Windows wake-on-open [Re: JaBZ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I haven't removed any power utility that came installed on the machine from the factory, and I don't see any option anywhere. I actually got a response from support, but it says to give them a call because it's too complicated to send in an email (or some such bull).

Thanks for the help.

#229943 - 06/08/2004 13:47 Re: Windows wake-on-open [Re: JaBZ]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
You're probably stuck with a single hibernation at a time -- the BIOS generally will have a single disk area mapped out for this, and only one O/S at a time will fit.

But I've used suspend-to-disk with Linux on other laptops.. it works well, at least in some versions.

Cheers