Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#230150 - 15/08/2004 20:00 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: Lupo]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Sounds to me like the dodgy cable issue - it can also cause the tuner to "hang" as the player gets screwed up sometimes in the background. Does this happen in both modes?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#230151 - 16/08/2004 11:13 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: mlord]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
This is a Mk2 unit, with only 12MB, NOT ENOUGH for any of the v3alpha releases to run reliably on.

V3 alpha7 runs just dandy on my mk2 with 12mb. In addition, it also runs palantir and emphatic 2.03 with no problems.

#230152 - 16/08/2004 14:03 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: mlord]
Lupo

Loc: AC, Germany
Ok, here it is, a fresh boot log after an uptate to v2.0; you can see that it reboots a couple of times. I interrupted the prcedure, as i think it was unnecessary.

Attachments
229765-BootLogv2.txt (171 downloads)

#230153 - 17/08/2004 21:28 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: Lupo]
Lupo

Hi,
could a bad header produce this error?

#230154 - 17/08/2004 21:42 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: Lupo]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Hi,
could a bad header produce this error?

I think so. I'm not sure why Mark explicity said it wouldn't be soldering problems. That would include bad IDE cables too.

Mark,
Can you explain why you think it's not a dodgy cabling or soldering. Is it simply because they aren't actually drive errors? If the cable was only a little bit dodgy couldn't date get corrupted enough to cause program crashes?
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#230155 - 17/08/2004 21:48 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: Shonky]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I just meant that it wouldn't be solder-bridges and the like.

Since all else seems well, I suppose the good old most common failure mode for this product could easily be the culprit -- bad IDE header solder job?

-ml

#230156 - 18/08/2004 14:28 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: mlord]
Lupo

Quote:
I just meant that it wouldn't be solder-bridges and the like.

Since all else seems well, I suppose the good old most common failure mode for this product could easily be the culprit -- bad IDE header solder job?

-ml

Hi;

what can I do in this case? Re-heat the solder joints for the header?

I think I can exclude the cable as a problem at this point, as I get the same problems no matter on which connector I connect the hard drive; is this correct?

#230157 - 18/08/2004 15:05 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: Lupo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
what can I do in this case? Re-heat the solder joints for the header?

Simply go through all of the bullet points in the appropriate FAQ entry, read them carefully, and do what it says.

Quote:
I think I can exclude the cable as a problem at this point, as I get the same problems no matter on which connector I connect the hard drive; is this correct?

No, you've merely verified that the problem happens on both connectors, meaning that there's a possibility that both connectors could be the problem, or that it's not the connectors at all and is any one of the myriad other bullet points in the FAQ, or that your problem is completely unrelated to the hard disk at all.

#230158 - 19/08/2004 19:10 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
The standard solution to this problem, during the days of official support was as follows:

- Weird behaviour, lockups, stuftering or distorted sound: data path failure.

- First inspect serial boot log. CS4231A recognised and initialised OK?If yes, keep reading. If not, probable chip failure. You are in big poo-poo. However, this is not the end of the world. Contact support (me) sometime in the next month or so when I will be restarting repair work.

- second, crimp/change cable. If you have the grey with pink stripe original cable, this can be crimped successfully if you do it properly. If you are unsure, change cable to later grey/charcoal stripe. If you have grey/charcoal, you cannot sucessfully crimp it without destroying it. Improvement? If no, keep reading.

- third, case open, drives out. Inspect the IDE header, especially if you have a 2A/RioCar as this was the model it happened most frequently on. If you have a Mk2, it is unlikely, but not impossible, that this was the case.

If all this is OK and the player is in trouble, then it's the data on the disk, ie. YOUR MUSIC.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#230159 - 18/09/2004 17:49 Re: empeg keeps rebooting [Re: schofiel]
Lupo

Quote:
The standard solution to this problem, during the days of official support was as follows:

- Weird behaviour, lockups, stuftering or distorted sound: data path failure.

- First inspect serial boot log. CS4231A recognised and initialised OK?If yes, keep reading. If not, probable chip failure.

In the boot logs I recorded (I posted some of them) it seems ok to me.
Quote:

- second, crimp/change cable. If you have the grey with pink stripe original cable, this can be crimped successfully if you do it properly. If you are unsure, change cable to later grey/charcoal stripe. If you have grey/charcoal, you cannot sucessfully crimp it without destroying it. Improvement? If no, keep reading.

Got a new cable from Eutronix, but still the same behavior.
Quote:

- third, case open, drives out. Inspect the IDE header, especially if you have a 2A/RioCar as this was the model it happened most frequently on. If you have a Mk2, it is unlikely, but not impossible, that this was the case.

I gently reheated all of the pins as they seemed dry to me, but things are not getting better.
Quote:

If all this is OK and the player is in trouble, then it's the data on the disk, ie. YOUR MUSIC.

I didn't erase my music from the player, but I tried this: I installed the disk builder image and connected a 6GB and a 40GB harddrive, I got the same memory violation errors as before.
I realy think i should send it in if that is possible again; Rob, I'm not in a hurry but let me know what I can do.

Thank you,

rudy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2