Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#232859 - 08/09/2004 16:22 Scanner and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I am trying to set up my dad's new scanner and I want to make it as simple as possible. I want to be able to scan something and have it go to the Windows Picture and Fax viewer. However, I cannot find the folder that that program is in...does anyone know where it is located at?

#232860 - 09/09/2004 09:46 Re: Scanner and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? [Re: burdell1]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
The scanner and camera wizard program is:

C:\windows\system32\wiaacmgr.exe

This will connect to the scanner or camera and download images, and when finished, will open windows explorer in the directory the image was saved in from the wizard. Double clicking the image should preview it in the windows picture and fax viewer. If it doesn't, right-click on the image, choose Properties, then next to "opens with", click on the "change" button and choose the Picture and Fax Viewer.
Unfortunately the windows Picture and Fax Viewer appears to be integrated into windows explorer and is not a stand-alone program - at least, I can't find it anywhere .

HTH.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#232861 - 09/09/2004 12:19 Re: Scanner and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? [Re: pedrohoon]
burdell1
old hand

thanks for trying .......does anyone else know? also, does anyone else out there have a newer microtek scanner? the software that comes with it defaults at 96 dpi and you have to change it to the dpi you want it at ....however, I don't see anywhere in the instructions where you can save it so it will automatically come up with a certain dpi. it just defaults at 96.

#232862 - 09/09/2004 14:51 Re: Scanner and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? [Re: pedrohoon]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Unfortunately the windows Picture and Fax Viewer appears to be integrated into windows explorer and is not a stand-alone program - at least, I can't find it anywhere

Looking at the shell extension details in the system registry for the picture file extensions in question should reveal the correct command line to launch the picture and fax viewer. Even if it's not a stand alone app, you should be able to find the correct command line to launch it (for example, if it's launched with rundll32).

My question is... Why? There's other third party picture viewers and editors that are much better.

#232863 - 09/09/2004 16:15 Re: Scanner and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? [Re: tfabris]
burdell1
old hand

because i am trying to make it as a simple as possible for my dad....he is not very good with computers and I live far away from him so I can't really help in person very often if he has problems....can you suggest any third party programs that would work well?

also, when it comes to the registry...i am not very knowledgable....where would i have to go to find out that info?

Edited by burdell1 (09/09/2004 16:20)

#232864 - 09/09/2004 16:36 Re: Scanner and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? [Re: burdell1]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
I've use Microtek scanners before. Which scanner does he have? Is he launching the scan via a button on the scanner's quick panel? Does it launch the Microtek scanwizard utility or some other utility? What is he trying to accomplish with scans? faxing, copying or something else.

If its scanwizard, the standard mode sets 4 "purposes" with hardcoded resolutions for each purpose. Changing the purpose, changes the resolution. Advanced lets you choose resolution and other options.

What OS is he using?