Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#23310 - 03/12/2000 16:02 Can't control empeg from serial console
ami
new poster

NEVERMIND. I got it working.

When the empeg boots up I see all the messages (things like "press Ctrl-A to enter pump", "I see this is a developer image", "press 'q' now to go into development mode. You Have Zero Seconds To Comply"). The text looks complete as compared to what I've seen others include in posts.

I have tried "q", "Q", "q{ENTER}", "Q{ENTER}" but the player always starts. Once the player program starts, I get no echo, and none of the keys I've tried (q n Q N, etc.) do anything.

I use Kermit95, but also tried Hyperterm; I'm running Windows 2000 professional.

I think I can eliminate both serial ports and the cable as the problem because I have been able to upgrade the empeg from 1.0 to 1.01, and I've tried both the 1.01 consumer and 1.01 developer. Loading images goes smooth as silk (once I discovered COM2 was disabled in the BIOS :-?).

Maybe I should try the 1.0 developer image?

Any advice?

UPDATE: I saw a note saying empeg's serial port has no handshawing. I tried Hyperterm again, this time creating a connection with handsking=none, and it worked. I got to the shell, did an ls, exited, and the player restarted. And I can't repeate that. ARGGG!

UPDATE: OK. So empeg is case sensitive. Also maybe it helped to power off the empeg...anyway, I can now use either Kermit95 or Hyperterm. [mumble: now where's that post on telnet...]
--
Ami

Edited by ami on 03/12/00 11:34 PM.

#23311 - 03/12/2000 16:29 Re: Can't control empeg from serial console [Re: ami]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Have you checked out the information in this FAQ?

On my NT4 system, I had to reboot the player after starting hyperterminal and connecting to the Empeg.

Do you have any other software that's using either (a) the com port, or (b) the same IRQ that the com port is using?

For example, if I have a modem on Com3, I can't connect to the internet and connect to the Empeg on Com1 at the same time, because Com3 and Com1 use the same IRQ.

#23312 - 03/12/2000 16:45 Re: Can't control empeg from serial console [Re: tfabris]
ami
new poster

I did read the FAQ, including the item on Hyperterm, and since I'm such an expert I had no problem gliding right past the red arrow pointing to handshaking=none :-)

I wish there was a way to retract a post. After reading the whole technical board and trying for an hour, I figured it out 2 minutes after I posted the message.

I never did understand why the ports default in pairs on an unsharable resource like an IRQ. But I've always installed modems as COM3 with an unused IRQ usually 5 or 7; 7 is used by some newer versions of parrallel ports (e.g. ECP).

--
Ami

#23313 - 03/12/2000 23:50 Re: Can't control empeg from serial console [Re: ami]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I wish there was a way to retract a post.

I thought there was. I've seen other places on this board where posts were deleted by their authors. Maybe it just doesn't allow you to do it for the top-level parent of a thread because that would screw up the indexing or something.

I never did understand why the ports default in pairs on an unsharable resource like an IRQ.

Because it dates back to the good old days when the IBM engineers couldn't imagine why any personal computer would need more than 16 interrupt handlers, or would need to access more than two COM ports at the same time. Or why anyone would need more than 640k of RAM...

But I've always installed modems as COM3 with an unused IRQ usually 5 or 7

And I've done that sort of thing in the past, too. But I stopped doing it when I started getting conflicts in certain DOS games that assumed my SoundBlaster card was on either 5 or 7, and I needed the printer port to be on one of those IRQs as well. I used to spent a lot of time IRQ juggling. The only reason I brought it up was because I didn't know you were an expert and already understood this stuff.