Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#23318 - 03/12/2000 18:48 Pluggable Audio Filter
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
How about a pluggable architecture for audio filters? Then people can independently create stuff like "Concert Hall" and "Kareoke mode" and "Echo Chamber" -- or perhaps even more intelligent audio filters with options, like "Concert Hall with configurable size" and "Echo Chamber, configurable number of echos" to make it sound anything from a bathroom to a cave. And perhaps some truly intelligent stuff like "noise cancellation" ... the possibilities are endless. :-)

What you think?

Calvin

#23319 - 03/12/2000 23:39 Re: Pluggable Audio Filter [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Although I cringe whenever I see car stereos with echo and reverb effects built-in (such stuff can only make the noisy car environment ever noisier), I agree that the ability to add audio plug-ins would be awesome.

There was a point in time when I thought that the already-planned plug-in architecture was supposed to encompass more than just visuals-- that all sorts of cool stuff could be implemented via plug-ins. I got the impression that the plug-in architecture would be flexible enough to allow RJLov to write his volume adjustment feature as a plug-in.

I don't know if this is really what they're planning or not, but it makes sense from the user's perspective. Any words on this, Hugo?

And in a related note: As I was driving home from dinner tonight, I was thinking that another thing which would be cool would be to have a scripting or "macro" language where you could load scripts via Emplode and trigger them via the UI and the remote control. If the plug-in architecture is really as all-encompassing as I'm hoping, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to throw a few shells around the APIs, add a simple parser with some really basic if-then and loop capabilities, and bingo, you've got a scripting language. Okay, I know I'm dreaming...

#23320 - 04/12/2000 10:07 Re: Pluggable Audio Filter [Re: tfabris]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Yeah, I've been asking for "macros" (basically scripting) ever since I got used to the remotes.
I never use my steering-wheel vol ajd. buttons, so I'd like to remap those to scripts to do other functions. I guess we'll just keep dreaming....

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#23321 - 05/12/2000 14:32 Re: Pluggable Audio Filter [Re: Dearing]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Scripting would also solve at lot of my issues with searching the whole database..

Just imagine the possibilities....

Drool.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357