Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#233701 - 05/10/2004 03:07 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: Shonky]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'd like to point out that I've tried a friend's empeg and his does the same thing in my car (but not in his own). It's got to be a in-dash-wiring issue. I'd just like to figure out what it could be before I start tearing things apart. Of course, it'd make sense to just go ahead and rewire, since I don't trust the installer that did it anyway.

#233702 - 05/10/2004 03:13 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
What about your empeg in his car to cover all bases?

I trust my installer (it was me of course). I only have one empeg and don't really know anyone to try theirs so I can't verify that it's my install at fault.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#233703 - 05/10/2004 05:25 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I'd like to point out that I've tried a friend's empeg and his does the same thing in my car (but not in his own). It's got to be a in-dash-wiring issue.

Or a voltage issue, then we're back to Genixia's idea...

#233704 - 05/10/2004 10:42 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

My idea is probably flawed. The only way that I think this could really be the problem is if at the penultimate shutdown the player was in standby. I guess this is feasible, especially if the player is used at home a lot too:

1) On AC power. Player put into standby because it's bedtime. Screen turns off.
2) Player pulled from dock whilst still in standby. Flash saves correctly.
3) Player inserted into car, gets correct settings (including expected standby).
4) Player brought out of standyby and used. Then pulled, whilst screen is busy and disks spun up. Flash not written correctly.
5) Player inserted - settings are obtained from the AC save again.

Of course, low voltage in the car would probably exacerbate this problem - the power during shutdown is coming from the empeg's power supply stage capacitors. I haven't checked, but presumably there are two capacitors, one at the car '12V' input (which will probably be higher than 12V), and one after the regulator which will be a constant voltage regardless of car. The amount of energy stored in the first capacitor will be proportional to the car's voltage squared, and presumably the power dies when the voltage here drops below that needed to sustain the regulators.

Again - still only speculation. It does need a specific sequence of events, which should make it easy to disprove.

#233705 - 05/10/2004 12:27 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: genixia]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Presumably a screen with a lot of lit pixels requires more energy than a screen with few lit pixels.

Can anyone confirm this theory in any way? If so, I'll have hijack blank the display early during the power fail sequence -- simply clearing all pixels.

-ml

#233706 - 05/10/2004 12:43 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Or a voltage issue

Yeah, I meant to say dash or further into the car.

And I have always had a slight voltage problem, where I've always seen the battery icon when I crank the car, but it's never had any ill effects before, AFAIK.

#233707 - 05/10/2004 12:46 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: genixia]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't think that your scenario fits what I'm seeing, as I can start the car and have the player start up asleep and then leave it asleep for whatever reason (usually the wife being in the car at the same time). Then park, turn off the car, leave the empeg in the dash, shop, come back, crank the car, and have the player start up awake. This doesn't happen very often, but it definitely does happen.

If it's the case that the player is just falling back on an old sleep setting, why would it get changed without intervention?

#233708 - 05/10/2004 12:49 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: mlord]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm...I'm not even sure how long the entire save sequence takes anyway. Blanking the screen is going to take on average 12.5ms, worst case 25ms. I wouldn't have thought that would be fast enough. I haven't checked the flash specs, but I don't believe it would take that long to write 128 bytes... (2.5M CPU cycles)

#233709 - 05/10/2004 13:43 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: genixia]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Blanking the screen by writing all zeros to the display buffer should be much much faster than milliseconds.. more likely a couple hundred microseconds -- could be a reasonable alternative to actually handshaking with the PIC to turn off the display entirely.

Cheers

#233710 - 05/10/2004 13:51 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: mlord]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Isn't the refresh rate of the display locked down somewhere by hardware? Can we beat up on the 1/40s rate from within hijack?

#233711 - 06/10/2004 14:43 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I've come to discover that if I turn on the accessory power in the car, but don't crank it, everything goes fine. But if I crank it immediately from off, it sleeps when the boot sequence is finished. In addition, if I let it boot up under accessory power, then crank it, the display blanks, which I'd expect, then comes back on with a battery icon, but does not sleep.

So it sounds like a voltage issue. Is it likely to be the main power (as opposed to ignition voltage), and, if so, how should I correct that? A better run for the power than coming through the stereo plug where I assume it's coming from now?

#233712 - 06/10/2004 14:48 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm. Sounds plausible. The question is whether it is the player or the kernel that is responsible.

#233713 - 06/10/2004 14:56 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Is it likely to be the main power (as opposed to ignition voltage),

Yes, since the ignition voltage line is just used as a "sense" line (assuming the main power is wired correctly).

Quote:
and, if so, how should I correct that? A better run for the power than coming through the stereo plug where I assume it's coming from now?

That might help a bit, but just so you know, having the battery icon appear at crank-time is normal and doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. It's normal for a car's voltage to drop during cranking. The question is whether the player's (or kernel's, or PIC's, whichever it turns out to be) sleep/wake behavior is programmed correctly to deal with that situation.

But if you wanted to see if you could improve the voltage to the player, I'd start by examining and rethinking the way the main power run to the player and the amplifier happen. If the amplifier is getting its power from a cable straight from the battery, you could try doing the same for the empeg itself. Always through a proper weatherproof fuse block as close to the battery itself as possible, of course.

#233714 - 06/10/2004 15:09 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I've never not seen the battery icon -- I was just being complete in my description.

The issue is, though, that if there's not enough power available to the empeg at boot/crank time, how do I resolve that?

#233715 - 06/10/2004 15:26 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
I've come to discover that if I turn on the accessory power in the car, but don't crank it, everything goes fine. But if I crank it immediately from off, it sleeps when the boot sequence is finished. In addition, if I let it boot up under accessory power, then crank it, the display blanks, which I'd expect, then comes back on with a battery icon, but does not sleep.

Mine is less consistent than this, but I think you just hit the key.

#233716 - 06/10/2004 15:38 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The issue is, though, that if there's not enough power available to the empeg at boot/crank time, how do I resolve that?

If feeding it directly from the battery doesn't work, and if it's determined that there's no way to fix it in software, then the only other simple solution is a capacitor.

Or just getting in the habit of putting the empeg into the dash after the engine is started. That's what I do: Place empeg bag on passenger seat. Start car, pull out of garage. Press button to close garage. While garage is closing, open empeg bag and put it into the dash. Verify that garage closed properly, then put car into D and be on my merry way.

#233717 - 06/10/2004 21:45 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: tfabris]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
My empeg battery line is wired direct to the battery (yes, via a fuse) and has been for a long time. The battery itself is only about 18 months old and is a good quality Bosch Gold unit.

If anything my accessories line might be a bit suss since the ignition switch in my car is pretty old and loose. Perhaps it's going low at a particular time during the boot sequence that's causing the problem? Would match Bitt's tests.

As for putting the empeg in every time, that's going to be damn annoying. 1) I park in a locked garage at night and 2) my car sits about 10 meters away at work, so normally the empeg stays in the car. That will just put extra wear on the sled and connector.

The thing is though this has only started to happen for me in the past few months and I haven't changed anything. So something must have changed either in the empeg or the wiring. I believe my wiring is pretty good though and should last longer than this.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#233718 - 06/10/2004 21:48 Re: Odd power behavior in car [Re: Shonky]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hmm. Maybe a dirty contact?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2