Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2340 - 08/04/2000 03:02 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: rob]
jonski
new poster

Loc: New Zealand
"Audiobase".

A database is a coherent collection of information. An audiobase is a coherent collection of music.

Beats jukebox anyway, IMHO.

Cheers
Jon

#2341 - 08/04/2000 03:12 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: rob]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Rob,

Please keep any text on the Empeg it self simple and short; try to avoid the verbal generosity that's so typically English: you have a world-class product !

If you like 'jukebox', put in into the ads, on the web, the newsletter, operatoing instruction, on the box that wraps it, wherever. But I'd say don't put it on Empeg itself. I (for wahtever that's worth) associate 'jukebox' with Elvis or the 50's. Very old fashioned. It'll go stale on the owner (who wil have to read it every day) very quickly.

Also avoid words that are meaningless ('advanced', 'flexible'), or have meaning only to an incrowd (e.g. abbreviations. tanstaafl are you listening])

I'd vote for [Empeg Logo] Digital Audio Mark2, if you'd allow me any say.
Hard, simple decisions. Good Luck and Wisdom in your meeting with the marketing experts. Tell'm they did a great job.

Henno
# 00120 (6GB+18)

#2342 - 08/04/2000 05:16 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: rob]
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi empeg team,

In reply to:

This is rendered with textures and a more appropriate colour scheme. The final finish isn't fixed, and won't be until we've seen some production prototypes.

Well done guys, excellent job. Looks really professional and should fit the product well. I look forward to having one installed in my dash.

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#2343 - 08/04/2000 05:32 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: Henno]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I should point out that the target audience for the front panel text are visitors to car audio showrooms, who may see the product on display. It may or may not be switched on, and even if it's on it may not be showing anything on-screen that gives an instant clue as to it's nature.

Rob

#2344 - 08/04/2000 06:32 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: rob]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
I should point out that the target audience for the front panel text are visitors to car audio showrooms

In that case you need to steer well clear of the word 'Jukebox'. Joe Punter's experience of ICEs will generally be limited to head unit and changer in the boot. You say 'jukebox' and they'll think you mean 'changer', then not look any further - who wants to buy hi-fi from a company who doesn't even know the correct terminology?

If you want the unit to advertise itself without being turned on, then you need to use terminology which won't be confused with existing products.

How's about something like:
"[empeg logo] Digital Audio Decoder"
"[empeg logo] Digital Audio Storage System"
"[empeg logo] Digital Audio Management System"
"[empeg logo] Digital Audio Library"
"Digital Audio Storage [empeg logo] Decoder"

Where "Digital Audio" and "[empeg logo]" are optional/moveable.

Just my 2p, but I REALLY REALLY think you should avoid the word 'jukebox'.

Nick (who's up there somewhere around the 8000 mark and has got the cash ready to hand over at a moment's notice).

#2345 - 08/04/2000 09:55 Re: Wording [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Aren't those datalink watches the coolest thing since sliced bread? I've had mine for a few years and I totally depend on it.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2346 - 08/04/2000 09:57 Re: Wording [Re: Lord Bleys]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I like "advanced" as well, but the only problem with the word is that it's been overused (abused) in marketing lately. "Advanced Digital Audio" could mean a cheap Taiwanese CD player these days.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2347 - 08/04/2000 10:00 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: debauch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I like these. Good suggestions. Your reasoning is very sound.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2348 - 08/04/2000 10:01 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: jonski]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Audiobase

Is that something Empeg could trademark? That would rock.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2349 - 08/04/2000 13:32 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: rob]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'd have to say that the only acceptable writing on the unit would be the empeg logo alone. If I had all that text on the unit I swear I would scratch it off myself. Scratches would look better than that glaring white text. I wouldn't mind it somewhere else but I suppose the design sort of prohibits doing so.

#2350 - 08/04/2000 13:50 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
How about "Advanced, Integrated, Solid State Digital Compressed Audio Microprocessor Controlled Playback Management Relational Database Unit" ?

Now that just rolls off the tongue.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#2351 - 08/04/2000 15:10 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: rob]
xavyer

How about 'Empeg Digital ICE'? (stylized empeg logo, of course)

I read the previous post advising against acronyms, but think about it. The standard display is blue, and blue is suggestive of ice -> cool; with the double meaning of 'In Car Entertainment'. Those 'in the know' would recognize it as an acronym, and those who aren't would (i presume) think something like 'cool'. The way the display glow diffuses reminds me of light shining through ice. It really doesn't really matter if it's red, green or blue, it still has the 'illuminated ice'-y look to it. That text line shows the manufacturer, and is vague enough to cover the mp3 (and future wav) capability. The 'Digital ICE' thing has something to work with as far as 'catchy' goes (maybe?). 'An ICEbox of cool tunage'.

Disclaimer: I am not a marketing 'droid.

#2352 - 08/04/2000 15:49 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: schofiel]
corby
journeyman

How about "Advanced, Integrated, Solid State Digital Compressed Audio Microprocessor Controlled Playback Management Relational Database Unit" ?

Now that just rolls off the tongue.

And
it's got a catchy acronym!

Corby
SN#320,6-Gig Blue

#2353 - 08/04/2000 15:52 Re: Wording [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Mine lost it's usefulness beyond the time and stopwatch/timer program I have loaded when I got my Palm III. But I still love the watch for it's durability, since it's the one watch I have owned for a few years that still looks almost new (except the plastic button that cracked in half and fell off).

Too bad it dosen't use IR, it would be awesome to control the empeg with.

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/

#2354 - 08/04/2000 17:55 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: corby]
Henno
addict

"Advanced, Integrated, Solid State Digital Compressed Audio Microprocessor Controlled Playback Management Relational Database Unit" as a catchy acronym

"Digital" and "Audio" should, of course, be optional/moveable.
"[empeg logo]" configurable (it'll buy you another lunch, Rob)

Henno
# 00120

#2355 - 08/04/2000 20:18 Re: Wording [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You must have a newer one than mine. Mine doesn't have a stopwatch feature.

Mine was one of the very first ones that came out. The interesting thing is: the software that came with it won't run on Windows NT-- only 3.1 and 95/98. There are upgrades to the software that'll run on NT, but they are only for the newer version of the watch. When I run those newer software versions, they put a different kind of bar code on the screen and my watch won't pick them up.

So when I upgrade my home system to NT5, I'll have to buy a new version of the watch. That's an interesting monopoly. I'm beginning to think there's some merit to the DOJ's case.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2356 - 08/04/2000 23:49 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: Henno]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
Here's my own 2 cents... I currently have a Pioneer Premier head unit in my car. I *love* the fact that it says Premier very prominently, instead of Pioneer, which is somewhat hidden. It's made by Pioneer, but it's a completely separate line, so it's known as a Premier head unit, not a Pioneer. Anyhow, what I'm getting at is that EVERY company needs their name on the product, no matter how well-known they are. Anyone who's into car audio will generally ask what kind of head unit you have, especially if it catches their eye. This one will definitely catch someone's eye and it would be really good PR if they could just look at the unit and know who makes it. Then they can ask questions.

Now, Rob said that the lettering is primarily for being seen at a show. Well, if that's the case, then it should say MP3 on it. All the players out nowadays are known as MP3 Players. Everyone knows what that means. The difference is that this one goes in the car, which should be obvious. I realize that this doesn't do much for just how different this product is, compared to the other players it's being grouped with, but this is what Empeg *needs*. This unit must be compared with every other MP3 player on the market! It'll beat them, hands down! At some point, I would suggest moving away from the MP3 name, but for recognition, I think it's necessary. That will accomplish what Rob said the writing is trying to do... get it noticed.

As far as names go, I've got a few:

[Empeg] MP3 Car Player
[Empeg] MP3 Car
[Empeg] Mobile MP3 Player
[Empeg] Mobile MP3
[Empeg] Digital Audio Player
[Empeg] Digital Audio

My first choice would be simply [Empeg], but I know that doesn't do what Rob and company want it to. I'd also like to add that the lettering should be in a reflective, GOLD color. Pioneer's Premier units have Premier in reflective, gold lettering and it *really* stands out. Gold tends to be associated with the best of the best; the top of the line; world class; the ELITE (yet another Pioneer line, btw). I think this would put the icing on the cake and give the Empeg unit the "class" that it deserves.

George

#2357 - 09/04/2000 00:44 Re: Wording [Re: jonski]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
#Empeg Logo# car audiobase ?

use the stylised logo from the web page (logotop.gif)

-- Murray
Empeg changed my life and it did happen overnight.

#2358 - 09/04/2000 01:11 Re: Wording [Re: drakino]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Too bad it dosen't use IR, it would be awesome to control the empeg with.

What about that Casio watch which had a built in IR LED for controlling televisions?

#2359 - 09/04/2000 01:18 Re: Wording [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

As I understand it, the Casio watch can only send IR, not receive, right?

The whole point of the Timex Data Link is for the watch to receive your phone numers and PIM information from the computer. In the case of the Data Link, it does it by using a tiny CCD to read bar codes displayed on the CRT by the software. It looks really cool. I agree that IR sounds like a more logical way of doing it, but when the data link came out, IR wasn't a standard thing on laptops, and it's still not a standard thing on desktops. The coolest part of the Data Link was that it needs no hardware connection to your computer in the form of a serial cable, IR adapter, or whatever. It just uses the existing screen.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2360 - 09/04/2000 03:38 Re: Wording [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Casio did a learning remote watch - I don't know if it's still available.

I've watched people cheat at Q-Zar with it so I'm sure it would have no difficulty controlling an empeg.

Rob

#2361 - 09/04/2000 03:52 Re: Wording [Re: schofiel]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I forgot I actually own one of these. I'll have to dig it out sometime and rework the IR code to recognize it. That is if the watch still works.

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/

#2362 - 09/04/2000 03:53 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: rob]
Henno
addict

target audience for the front panel text are visitors to car audio showrooms ( . . ) It may or may not be switched on

To avoid confusion Rob, my comments were on anything engraved in / printed on the Empeg front; to stay with the player during its entire life. Such a message should be simple, but meaningful because its the owner who has to live with it for years.

If you want to target to visitiors in showrooms and to audio/computer shows, you can use any different vehicles to get you message across: packaging, POS material, display material, flyers, what have you, as long as it temporary. Please keep Emma's face simple/beautiful.

Henno
# 00120

#2363 - 09/04/2000 03:59 Re: Wording [Re: tfabris]
Henno
addict

I'm beginning to think there's some merit to the DOJ's case.
Hey, Tony, you're not that slow

BTW: this has gone way off topic !

Henno
# 00120

#2364 - 09/04/2000 04:19 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
Henno
addict

I'd also like to add that the lettering should be in a reflective, GOLD color ( . . ) Gold tends to be associated with the best of the best; the top of the line; world class;
Not with me. I find it mostly presumptious, overdone: as if a thing doesn't have any quality on its own, and that lack of quality can be resolved by smacking some Rococo gold lettering on the face! We're talking product image here for a highly technical, innovative piece of audio engineering. This demands concise, simple messaging.

Well, George, if this say anything, it shows how the same thing can trigger very different responses

Look at the car design. I haven't seen any gold in a car interior for ages. Car manufacturers spent millions on research and come up with very practical, sober color schemes. Mostly black / metal; hardly any wording. Color, gold, words, phrases, specs: it's all kept for ads and owner manuals). Empeg should do the same. This is a year 2000 product!

Henno
# 00120

#2365 - 09/04/2000 08:45 Post deleted by bam [Re: rob]
bam
new poster

#2366 - 09/04/2000 09:23 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: bam]
rob
carpal tunnel

> You have the chance to define terms for a whole new product category

A number of mainstream manufacturers are working on MP3 heads now, albeit based around CD and memory card technology. The common buzzword is simply "MP3" with most manufacturers using meaningless model codes in line with their existing product range.

I daresay other mass storage head units will show up EVENTUALLY but it already seems likely that the blanket description will be "MP3 Jukebox" - even if the product is not restricted to MP3.

Our major business speciality is to design products for other people. Any manufacturer that was to buy technology from us certainly wouldn't want to use a brandname even remotely similar to our own - companies prefer their clients to think that their technology was designed in house.

> IMHO, your company is somewhat of a liability

We don't consider our company name to be a liability. It has become extremely widely known, and I feel that to change now would be a serious mistake. In any case, we only sell one major product with our own badge on it - everything else is branded by the OEM.

Anyway, the issue being discussed here is the ADDITIONAL text (if any) for the front panel of the player. The company is called "empeg" and the product is called "empeg car" - this is not going to change!

Rob

#2367 - 09/04/2000 12:24 Re: Wording [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Errr. Tony, I was talking about using the Casio to control the empeg - why would I want to receive anything?

#2368 - 09/04/2000 12:42 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: Henno]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
No offense, Henno, but I think you're a bit biased. ;-) You've stated elsewhere that you don't want ANY lettering on the unit. So, I think you may have already made up your mind and will not like anything that's mentioned. Just my opinion.

As far as the color of the lettering goes, though, it was just a suggestion. I like it on the unit I have. As you said, different responses for different people. But, Empeg needs to have something on their unit. All the other "big guys" (Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, etc.) have their names on the front of their product, along with meaningless model numbers, and even what the unit can do, such as "CD, player, tuner, radio, EQ, high power", etc., which are all overstated. Empeg must do the same or they won't gain the market acceptance and recognizability that their future competitors already have. Who *hasn't* heard of Sony or Pioneer or Alpine? No one who's into electronics. Who's heard of Empeg? US! They need to make a name for themselves and this is the only way to do it. Sony, Pioneer and Alpine are known the world over, but they STILL put their name on their products. Why? So people know who made that unit that caught their eye.

As I said, I'd love to only see the Empeg logo on the unit, but, for now, I think they need something in addition to that. I can just about guarantee that Sony's, Pioneer's, and Alpine's first units will say something besides the company name. They need something that fits into the mainstream, especially in the marketing arena, in this still emerging market for MP3 players. If they don't do this, the products will be mistaken as just being your run-of-the-mill CD player. That's not a good thing!

BTW, gold accents in a car or on a car make me vomit! The gold (thinking about it a little more now) is probably more of a copper. It's not a bright yellow gold color. It's closer to a tan or brownish tint and is pretty dark, so it doesn't slap you in the face every time you look at the unit. It's very subtle, but it stands out when you specifically look at it in the sunlight.

George

#2369 - 09/04/2000 15:54 Re: New Mark 2 rendering now online [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
Henno
addict

You've stated elsewhere that you don't want ANY lettering on the unit. So, I think you may have already made up your
mind and will not like anything that's mentioned. Just my opinion.

No, I've said that I like things simple but meaningful. There's no need to explicitly name a visual "VISUAL", or a no-info-screen "NO INFO". We don't put "page" in front of page numbers either, at east most of us don't. So if the Empeg folks believe they need to explain Empeg on the front panel, it should also be short and meaningful. The value should be in what it says, not the lettering, or the lenghth of the message. Not at all in a string of impotent buzzwords.

My 2p worth (slightly changed from my earlier contribution)
[Empeg Logo] Random Access Audio - Mark2

Empeg needs to have something on their unit. All the other "big guys" ( . . ) have their names on the front of their product, along with meaningless model numbers ( . . ). Empeg must do the same or they won't gain the market acceptance
I doubt if meaningless model numbers or re-stated obvious descriptions of what the until is supposed to do will increase sales. I do know that almost all of these ugly (?!) descriptions will be facing their owners (who don't need them) for years.

My points is that if there's a need to give a certain message to a prospect owner, it should not be on the face of the unit, but on temporary material supplied at POS, ads, etc. Messages on the unit itself should be functional, and beld in with the design wise. Long-winded descriptions are hardly ever functional, I believe.

In the end, the description is not going to make or break Empeg. Nor its capability to play MP3s. It'll be price and usability (=software). I bet that once Empeg got their production capacity geared up, a few reviews will establish the company, in much the same way as PC-Mag and a few other magazines established the Palm Pilot (which, BTW has nothing but the company logo on the front in plain, white lettering. No descriptions, whatsoever . And Palm are not even an e-commerce company - if Empeg can keep up their customer relations game, tapping the ideas and wishes of their customers, and opeing up aftermarkets, they can't go wrong. I'd wish they'd given a share in their company with every Mark1!!

Henno
# 00120

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >