Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#235203 - 30/09/2004 19:12 Re: Low Res Powerbook Screens [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I don't know about the Labiatech mouse, but you can get buttons to spare on any of the new Logitech models. Most of the buttons are positioned in next-to-useless places if you ask me, but the one directly in front of the wheel isn't too bad. Especially if used for something like Paste operations.

I only use 2+ button mice with Mac OS. If I'm using the Powerbook without a mouse, then I'll try and use keyboard shortcuts and controls for as many options as I can remember, and try using the pad and single button as little as possible.

Bruno

#235204 - 30/09/2004 19:14 Re: Low Res Powerbook Screens [Re: hybrid8]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
I don't know about the Labiatech mouse,

Very subtle. Nice.

#235205 - 30/09/2004 21:57 Re: Low Res Powerbook Screens [Re: hybrid8]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
I only use 2+ button mice with Mac OS

There is also a bit of software out there that will let you tap the powerbook trackpad as a regular left click and map the trackpad button separately as a right click (or just about anything else). Kinda handy for you two button junkies. If anybody wants it I can dig up a link.

-Mike

#235206 - 01/10/2004 01:41 Re: Low Res Powerbook Screens [Re: mcomb]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Sidetrack. Drives me insane using a Mac laptop without it, as I use the scroll function on the right edge of mine.

Never really found the need to map a button as a right click, since I can Ctrl-click decently now. Though any time my Powerbook is at a desk, it has a mouse and second monitor attached.

That brings me to my Powerbook gripe. The lack of a right click button is nothing compared to my desire for a dock/port replicator solution from Apple. IE, a special port on the laptop built for such a device, and not third party jobs that are just as much work to attach as plugging in each cable.

#235207 - 01/10/2004 02:25 Re: Low Res Powerbook Screens [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Woohoo, cool link. I don't like any of the Windows tap-to-click implementations I've used, but I'd definitely like the scrolling functions. The corner taps may also be very interesting for copy/paste or Expose. The link also lead me to uControl which looks pretty handy - allowing me to disable CAPSLOCK and enable Shift-Delete as a forward delete (Del).

I actually find the PB's seemingly limited keyboard to be a lot nicer in practical usage than those on most other portables. My GF's IBM T41 for instance... Can't disable the tap-click thing and it's got all sorts of extraneous keys for functions that would better be implemented by multi-keys. Not to mention way too many little lights.

I think we've had a little topic creep here. I don't use my PB with an external display (yet) so the lack of a port replicator isn't an issue. And the mouse is a Logitech X900 (Bluetooth) so there's nothing to connect. Network is wireless, external drives are portable... I don't have anything else I'd need to connect externally that I would also need to leave in place at a desk when the computer is elsewhere.

Bruno

#235208 - 01/10/2004 02:30 Re: Low Res Powerbook Screens [Re: hybrid8]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Woohoo, cool link. I don't like any of the Windows tap-to-click implementations I've used, but I'd definitely like the scrolling functions. The corner taps may also be very interesting for copy/paste or Expose. The link also lead me to uControl which looks pretty handy - allowing me to disable CAPSLOCK and enable Shift-Delete as a forward delete (Del).

uControl is sort of flaky on PowerBooks due to the hardware implementation of the keyboard controller. So sometimes my control key (formerly caps lock) becomes a "break my input" key.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2