Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235538 - 29/09/2004 13:09 POLLS: Symbolism
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
(work or no, there's always time for a little poll or polls!)

This pair of polls is for BBS listeners in the U.S. of A.

The question/s is/are. If I drive by a house (or am following a car) and I see an American flag out front (or on the car's bumper), what are the chances that I will disagree with the politics of the homeowner (or driver)?

Meaning, if you you took 100 such homes (or 100 cars), with how many of the homeowners/drivers do you think you would strongly disagree with on what you consider to be the main issues of the day?
If I drive by a house:
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 29/09/2004 08:04
View the results of this poll.
If I am following a car:
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 29/09/2004 08:04
View the results of this poll.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#235539 - 29/09/2004 13:31 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: jimhogan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
This pair of polls is for BBS listeners in the U.S. of A.

FWIW, you could ask a similarly-symbolic question in the UK, with the situations (a) an England flag other than during the World Cup or Euro football (b) a Union Jack on the mainland and (c) a Union Jack in Northern Ireland.

Peter

#235540 - 29/09/2004 14:02 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: jimhogan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Oddly, I think if you'd asked this before 9/11, I would have estimated a smaller percentage. That's just how it seems to me.

I saw an amusing site the other day. I was driving behind a pickup truck with a cab on the back. In the window of the cab was an American flag sticker that had obviously been both out in the sun too long and of cheap quality, so it was now the good old yellow, white, and blue Seems to me if you were so gung-ho about your patriotism, you'd at least want to have a color-accurate flag on your truck.

#235541 - 29/09/2004 14:38 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: peter]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
FWIW, you could ask a similarly-symbolic question in the UK, with the situations (a) an England flag other than during the World Cup or Euro football (b) a Union Jack on the mainland and (c) a Union Jack in Northern Ireland.

That'd definitely be interesting, as an ethnic there are times when the cross of St George can be positively scary

#235542 - 29/09/2004 15:18 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It's actually one of the, admittedly non-binding, rules of the US flag that it not be printed on something disposable. Yet after 9/11 a bunch of newspapers printed full broadsheet sized US flags for people to display. If there's anything more disposable than newsprint, I don't know what it is.

Of course, this, combined with the fact that the proper way to dispose of a US flag is by burning it, raises the question of whether nylon flags are appropriate.

#235543 - 29/09/2004 15:20 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: wfaulk]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
the fact that the proper way to dispose of a US flag is by burning it, raises the question of whether nylon flags are appropriate.

Certainly not very environmentally friendly

#235544 - 29/09/2004 15:25 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: peter]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Quote:
Union Jack

It is the Union Flag. The Union Jack is the small flag found at the bow of a ship. I'll let you off, though seeing as you have a blue name and almost everyone gets it wrong!
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#235545 - 29/09/2004 15:32 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: wfaulk]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:
the proper way to dispose of a US flag is by burning

Interestingly, there are a group in the UK that are lobbying parliament to make the burning of the Union Flag an offence.

I was under the impression that the idea came from the US. Does the US have a flag-as-an-effigy burning law?

Edited by mdavey (29/09/2004 15:33)

#235546 - 29/09/2004 15:41 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: mdavey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Does the US have a flag-as-an-effigy burning law?

If I recall correctly, some people tried to pass such a law recently. I don't believe they succeeded, but I'm not sure. Of course, those were the people who also think that free speech is something you support when it's convenient and when such speech doesn't disagree with your own ideas.

#235547 - 29/09/2004 16:00 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
(Anti) Flag burning will require an amendment to stick, and there are people pushing one.

#235548 - 29/09/2004 16:11 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: Daria]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
And these are largely the same people that would wear flag-emblazoned clothing, have flags on disposable items, fly badly worn flags, and all sorts of things that fail to show proper reverence for the flag. So I suppose that, in some ways, it makes sense that they'd also be ignorant of the proper way to burn a flag when pressing for an anti-flag-burning amendment. (To be honest, it's supposed to be burnt in a solemn ceremony, and the burning that they're against is specifically the obnoxious in-public sort. Which doesn't make the notion of a constitutional amendment about it any more palatable.)

Edit: Here's a page that details flag-related "laws" in the US Code.

Edited by wfaulk (29/09/2004 16:20)

#235549 - 29/09/2004 19:22 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: wfaulk]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
I agree with you. Two things seems clear to me after reading para. 176 , titled "Respect for flag."

1. We don't need to amend anything to demand respect for the flag, as it's right there in the Code.

2. We can't ban burning it, as it is the preferred means of disposal.

#235550 - 29/09/2004 19:30 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: DLF]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Those trying to ban the burning are talking about the anti-american-rally kind of burning, where it's not for disposal and not done in a solemn ceremony.

Like I said, some people seem to think free speech is something you allow only when it's convenient.

#235551 - 29/09/2004 19:57 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
This poll should first try to find out what side of the political spectrum a person is on and then see their reaction to the American flag.

On my lawn, I have an American flag that is the same size, shape and materials as the political lawn signs out there. It's clearly a political sign, but all it has is the flag. Because of this, I'd gather that 90% of my neighbors, who I've never talked to about politics, know who I'm voting for.

EDIT: Wow, it didn't even take one page for a thread about the American flag for someone to bring up the concept of burning it...

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (29/09/2004 19:59)

#235552 - 29/09/2004 20:27 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: tfabris]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:
Some people seem to think free speech is something you allow only when it's convenient.

Are you one of these people? I so want to disagree with your statement. What does burning the flag say?

It says that you either disrespect the flag (perhaps you don't like the flag - perhaps you think it should be a different design or in different colours?) - or, more likely, that you disrespect the thing (normally: country) that the flag represents.

If you choose to burn the Union Flag in the UK or the Stars and Stripes in the US - well, what are you doing in that country in the first place? Democracy is (currently) a national affair so to be a visitor, a guest, and to protest in this way is pretty meaningless and why should your host tolerate your behaviour? As a citizen, protest is valid when the target is the govenment, parliament or any other group - but the nation? You want to protest about the nation? Well that is fine. Protest by leaving. The exits are here, here, here, here, here, here, & here!

Burning flags isn't speech - you aren't writing, filming or talking about it. Burning flags is an act. Should free speech be protected? Sure. Should societies be tolerant? Yes. Should those that disrespect that society be tolerated? No.

Edited by mdavey (29/09/2004 20:30)

#235553 - 29/09/2004 20:54 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: mdavey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
why should your host tolerate your behaviour?

When the host values (or at least, claims to value) personal freedom and liberty above all else.

#235554 - 29/09/2004 20:57 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: mdavey]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Should those that disrespect that society be tolerated? No.

And just how far is it from disrespecting the government to disrespecting the society? How far is it from not living up to the ideals required by that society? What if those ideals are someone elses ideals?

Everybody should be tolerated, as long as they cause no harm to others. Otherwise, where do you draw the line?

#235555 - 29/09/2004 21:15 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: Roger]
mdavey
enthusiast

I love debates like this - really gets me thinking! Continuing to play devlis advocate for the moment...

Tony said:
Quote:
When the host values (or at least, claims to value) personal freedom and liberty above all else.

How far do you let that go? Doesn't that just lead to a selfish attitude of "I'm going to do what I want and I don't care what society thinks of me" ?

Roger said:
Quote:

And just how far is it from disrespecting the government to disrespecting the society? How far is it from not living up to the ideals required by that society? What if those ideals are someone elses ideals?

Isn't that what democratic society is about? The masses elect the few. The few attempt to gauge what ideals society currently value and pass laws to protect those ideals. The minority that choose to live in that society but not by those ideals are removed from society (to jail, typically).

Quote:

Everybody should be tolerated, as long as they cause no harm to others. Otherwise, where do you draw the line?

How do you define harm? Do you consider causing distress to others harmful? What about inciting anger?

#235556 - 29/09/2004 21:22 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: mdavey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
How far do you let that go? Doesn't that just lead to a selfish attitude of "I'm going to do what I want and I don't care what society thinks of me" ?

No, it doesn't lead to that. Clearly, there's a difference between protesting your own government, and being a lawless anarchist.

The laws that protect us from the latter are important. But as soon as we start enacting laws that protect us from the former, then we no longer live in a democratic society where free speech and dissent are part of the very fabric of the government itself.

#235557 - 29/09/2004 21:52 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: tfabris]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:

No, it doesn't lead to that. Clearly, there's a difference between protesting your own government, and being a lawless anarchist.

When I wrote "do what I want", I meant things like someone with no work ethic - they work when they want and claim benefits otherwise, or acting like a yob or just generally acting in a way that most of society would find distasteful but who isn't necessarily breaking any laws.

Q. Do you believe there is ever a scenario when breaking the law can be justified?

#235558 - 29/09/2004 22:00 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: mdavey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Q. Do you believe there is ever a scenario when breaking the law can be justified?

Of course. Depends on the law and who/why it was broken, but that's one reason why there are judges and juries. And why sentencing for a crime is not always the same each time the crime is committed.

#235559 - 29/09/2004 22:41 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: mdavey]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Burning flags isn't speech - you aren't writing, filming or talking about it

Well, not audible speech perhaps.

But it can certainly be a dramatic expression of opinion.

tanstaafl.

#235560 - 29/09/2004 23:04 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Not to mention that if you do burn a flag in protest, you are doing so in hopes that the press films and photographs and writes about it, and so you'd darn sure better talk about it, loudly and clearly.

#235561 - 29/09/2004 23:06 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: mdavey]
dmallory
new poster

Hrm. But I was born 'here'. Why should I have to leave, if I don't like it? What gives 'them' more claim to making rules?

As for disrespecting society... which society? The one you currently live in? The one I currently live in? The one currently being lived in, regardless of what it's like?

Quote:

Absolutely. As far as *justification*, the legallity of an act never even enters the picture. And you?

Edited by dmallory (29/09/2004 23:11)

#235562 - 29/09/2004 23:12 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: dmallory]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Why should I have to leave, if I don't like it?

Especially if "here" is a democracy, where people are allowed to voice dissatisfaction and call for change.

No government ever changed for the better because people sat around and said they were happy with it. A society where no one is dissatisfied is called a Utopia...

#235563 - 30/09/2004 02:38 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
This poll should first try to find out what side of the political spectrum a person is on and then see their reaction to the American flag.

(NOTE: As soon as I posted it -- I was tired -- I knew I should have referred to it as a single poll with multiple questions. Duh! Have I never done this before? Forgive me.)

Brad, I specifically avoided asking anything about political leanings before asking the poll questions. I mean, we *know* that the BBS is under the sway of a bunch of Maoist conspiracy theorists, right? (left!) I'll stipuleft to that!

The idea for this was triggered about a week ago on a rally in southwest Washington. Sure this is a blue state, but when you drive by the rural haciendas of Kelso, Hoquiam and Westport, you'll see a *lot* of Bush/Cheney signs and a *lot* of American flags flying.

It made me think. Forty years ago, my family put out the Stars and Stripes on a summer cottage every day. Eastern Democrats. I am not sure anyone thought we were making any sort of statement vis-a-vis left/right..

The results of the *very* unscientific poll seem to confirm my sense of what I thought all of the leftists on the BBS might think (and our minority right-wing maniacs, too!) Flying the S-n-S on your porch might not be interpreted as *too* much of a political statement, but putting the S-n-S on you car *is*.

OK, I knew this. Looking at cars with S-n-S on the bumpers (and evaluating that in the context of the frequently co-resident "Defend Quemoy!", "POW/MIA", "Clinton Will work for Sex". "This Car Protected by Smith and Wesson"), I pretty much decided some time ago that I wouldn't be slapping the Stars and Bars on the Subaru. It would seem that flying the flag on the car would be sending the signal to other flag flyers that I am in accord. Fair? I wouldn't want to send that message. I fly the flag on my US-registered vessel because doing otherwise would seem ....unthinkable. My old man would kill me!

Quote:
On my lawn, I have an American flag that is the same size, shape and materials as the political lawn signs out there. It's clearly a political sign, but all it has is the flag. Because of this, I'd gather that 90% of my neighbors, who I've never talked to about politics, know who I'm voting for.

Ach, they're just a bunch of unemployed, welfare-sucking psychics. (edit: I really just meant a joke about unemployed psychics knowing who Brad would vote for. I don't know why I had to throw in that they are "welfare-sucking psychics". That was uncalled for. Just a joke, but uncalled for. Thankfully, I can have 100% confidence that any psychics out there know what is truly in my heart.)

Quote:
EDIT: Wow, it didn't even take one page for a thread about the American flag for someone to bring up the concept of burning it...

Well, at least nobody has mentioned Nazis yet .

Oops.

Edited by jimhogan (30/09/2004 12:56)

#235564 - 30/09/2004 02:53 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Oddly, I think if you'd asked this before 9/11, I would have estimated a smaller percentage. That's just how it seems to me.

I've had dinner with old friends in Boston over the past few years. Cynics like me, they mentioned the bloom of American flags after 9/11 and their skepticism of what they consider near-jingoist flag-waving.

I have been impressed and puzzled by the ubiquitous (and sometimes fading) "The Power of Pride" stars-and-bars bumper stickers. Who made them? What does "The Power of Pride" mean? What is the intended point? Feel good?

Anyone with "The Power of Pride" insider info please chime in. Oh, and if anyone has insider info on the origin of "Proud to be an American", please share with the group.

Quote:
I saw an amusing site the other day. I was driving behind a pickup truck with a cab on the back. In the window of the cab was an American flag sticker that had obviously been both out in the sun too long and of cheap quality, so it was now the good old yellow, white, and blue Seems to me if you were so gung-ho about your patriotism, you'd at least want to have a color-accurate flag on your truck.

It seems a morbid interest, and I don't have the time or resources to study it systematically/scientifically, but I do find the rise and fall of flag waving very interesting. How many fire trucks do you see today in the U.S. with the Stars and Stripes flying? What happened?

#235565 - 30/09/2004 02:54 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: jimhogan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I had a discussion with my wife a few months ago about flying a Westmoreland County flag, a Pennsylvania flag, but not the Stars and Stripes. After some discussion my conclusion was that while it might be making the political statement I thought I wanted to make, that perhaps that was not after all the statement I wanted to make.

I'm already "that kook with the robotic lawnmower" etc, a conscious attempt to alienate neighbors isn't really interesting or useful. I already don't know enough of my neighbors, and I think it's more interesting to find out what they believe, and why, than to just write them off and have them do the same of me. Out of that discussion came the wild idea (also not acted on) of walking around, knocking on doors, and just asking people how they intend to vote and why. Why ask? I'm curious.

#235566 - 30/09/2004 03:07 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: Daria]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I had a discussion wife [.....] After some discussion my conclusion was that while it might be making the political statement I thought I wanted to make, that perhaps that was not after all the statement I wanted to make.

I applaud your neurotic, sincere, anxiety.

(Just kidding!!) But seriously, I really appreciate your dilemma -- what statement do you want to make/ how do you want to communicate?

I have traditionally been pretty bumper-sticker averse, but then I said "WTF? I live in a blue state" and slapped my "Bush/Orwell" bumper sticker on just to give a few folks a good laugh (it is remarkable. I have watched some people stare at it for 2-3 minutes before deciding what it might mean...) and, depending on how things go in November, maybe I will just leave it or replace it with "Don't Blame Me! I Voted for Kodos!"

Quote:
I'm already "that kook with the robotic lawnmower"

Quote:
etc, a conscious attempt to alienate neighbors isn't really interesting or useful. I already don't know enough of my neighbors, and I think it's more interesting to find out what they believe, and why, than to just write them off and have them do the same of me. Out of that discussion came the wild idea (also not acted on) of walking around, knocking on doors, and just asking people how they intend to vote and why. Why ask? I'm curious.

More applause.

#235567 - 30/09/2004 03:11 Re: POLLS: Symbolism [Re: jimhogan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I applaud your neurotic, sincere, anxiety.

(Just kidding!!) But seriously, I really appreciate your dilemma -- what statement do you want to make/ how do you want to communicate?

Well, basically my conclusion was that making a statement was the antithesis of communicating. And so I didn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >