Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#237771 - 15/10/2004 12:54 Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux)
ngchol
stranger

Was this...

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat....true#Post138376

... ever implemented? I have several large playlists where it would be really nice to have. For example, Pixies' "U-Mass" came on yesterday. "My goodness, what a fine album Trompe Le Monde was", I thought. I have used Hijack so that I can do the tweak playlist thing in the car, but to hear all occurrences of "TLM" remaining in that playlist I need to repeat the process many times which is a bit hazardous when driving.

It would be nice if (for example) you could just hold the button down after going to Tweak Order -> Source and the empeg queued up all the rest of the tracks remaining in the playlist where source = "TLM" (and likewise if you fancied hearing a whole load of tracks from a particular artist, as opposed to a particular source). Unshuffling around the track (as per the FAQ) won't work, as that isn't how they are ordered.

#237772 - 15/10/2004 13:04 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

No, holding down the Tweak buttons turns them into 'Hate' buttons. Hate->Source is probably my most often used Tweak. (I generally start with a down-down-down shuffle and tweak out stuff that doesn't fit my mood.)

#237773 - 15/10/2004 13:07 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: genixia]
ngchol
stranger

I wasn't particularly fixated on holding the button down to do what I wanted, just wanted to know if it had been implemented... or had been officially wishlisted, even.

#237774 - 15/10/2004 13:21 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

No implementation. Not sure about wishlisting.

#237775 - 15/10/2004 13:24 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: genixia]
ngchol
stranger

Curses. I think that's the first time I've ever wanted the empeg to do something, and the functionality hasn't already been in there

#237776 - 15/10/2004 13:29 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I do have to ask why your playlists aren't ordered by album->track...

#237777 - 15/10/2004 13:33 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: genixia]
ngchol
stranger

They're actually ordered by a lot of painstaking fiddling around to match tempo, mood, etc smoothly from one track to the next. It makes for a good listening experience, but occasionally I want to drop out of that and binge on a particular album or artist. Does that seem so weird??

#237778 - 15/10/2004 13:40 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You can do it both ways. Just make a by-Artist/Album playlist and mark it as Ignore-as-child or whatever it is. That way you can just go and select them when you want to listen to an album.

#237779 - 15/10/2004 13:46 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: wfaulk]
ngchol
stranger

I don't quite see how that would work.....? Say for example I have a playlist of about 400 tracks. What would I need to do to it? Then, when I'm listening in the car, how would I drop to the album/artist, and then drop back to the rest of the playlist?

#237780 - 15/10/2004 14:14 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't know how you have stuff set up right now, but let's say it's:

Root
-Tempo
--Slow
--Fast
-Genre
--Rock
--Country

and then inside each of those playlists is a mishmash of tracks. (Or do you just have one big root playlist?)

Create a new playlist called, say, Album-Artist. Inside that, create a playlist for each artist, and inside those, playlists for each of their albums. So, for example:

-Album-Artist
--Pixies
---Bossanova
---Trompe Le Monde
---Surfer Rosa
--Wilco
---Summerteeth
---Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
--Beatles
---White Album
---Rubber Soul

Mark "Artist-Album" as "ignore as child". This means that if it's a child of a playlist you've selected, like the root playlist, it won't descend into it. That way, you'll keep the order of your meticulously crafted playlist(s) straight. And as long as you do this all within emplode without uploading new tracks, you won't waste any significant space by having multiple copies of the same track on the empeg.

Then, when you want to listen to a whole album, navigate to it and hit play. If you're listening to your mix, you can go to the album, hold down the down button on the play playlist icon and select "Insert" or whatever the most appropriate queuing option is.

Actually, jEmplode should be able to create those playlists for you via it's soup function, but I haven't played with it enough to be able to tell you how to do it for sure.

#237781 - 15/10/2004 15:40 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't understand what you're asking for, ngchol.

It already does what you want. Simply un-shuffle (press the zero key) and your songs will be in order, around your current song. They will be in whatever order you want, based on how you've arranged the order of your playlists.

#237782 - 15/10/2004 16:07 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'm pretty sure he's not shuffling, but has a handcrafted playlist.

#237783 - 15/10/2004 16:10 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: wfaulk]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's not shuffling, but has a handcrafted playlist.

And even if he is shuffling he wants a way to have all the songs from that source after the current one, not just whatever is left after the current one according to the sort order he is using. That is a feature I'd like as well.

-Mike

#237784 - 15/10/2004 16:14 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: mcomb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I agree. I'd like it, too, along with some other things. In fact, it's time for a new wishlist.

#237785 - 15/10/2004 19:43 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: tfabris]
ngchol
stranger

Quote:
I don't understand what you're asking for, ngchol.

It already does what you want. Simply un-shuffle (press the zero key) and your songs will be in order, around your current song. They will be in whatever order you want, based on how you've arranged the order of your playlists.

Tony,

I know you don't - I've checked the archives My playlists are all handcrafted to be in a specific order. Occasionally, for some variation from this, I like to drop into a particular album or artist. If I reach a track whose album(or artist) I like, I can tweak the order to add one track from that album (or artist) to follow. Then I have to repeat this several times to get all the remaining tracks from that album (or artist) that follow in the playlist to queue up. Because of the handcrafted nature of the playlist, un-shuffling will not give me the rest of the album in one go. Does that make sense to you?

#237786 - 15/10/2004 19:46 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So why don't you just make the playlist in album order then so that unshuffling DOES work?

#237787 - 15/10/2004 19:49 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Let me be clearer: Why deliberately circumvent an existing feature by creating playlists that are deliberately out of order?

The player is designed so that:

Not Shuffled: Everything is in order.
Shuffled: Everything is out of order.

And you can toggle between the two with a single keystroke.

So why deliberately mess that up by creating playlists that aren't ordered?

#237788 - 15/10/2004 21:17 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: tfabris]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:

Ah, but his playlist is ordered, just not the way most people want their playlists ordered.

This problem could almost be solved by creating a "normally sorted" playlist first in the playlist tree, so shuffling and then unshuffling would take you to the album (though, not necessarily to the begining of the album. However, there's no way to get back to the ordered-but-not-by-album-track playlist once you've shuffled and unshuffled. Not quite there, but close.

Matthew

#237789 - 15/10/2004 22:26 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: tfabris]
ngchol
stranger

Quote:
Let me be clearer: Why deliberately circumvent an existing feature by creating playlists that are deliberately out of order?

The player is designed so that:

Not Shuffled: Everything is in order.
Shuffled: Everything is out of order.

And you can toggle between the two with a single keystroke.

Well OK, let me give an example. The empeg was used as the DJ during my wedding reception in 2001. I had a clear idea of how I wanted the music to create the mood during the evening, so the "wedding reception" playlist was ordered according to the qualities of the music, as opposed to the properties of the music's metadata. Since then I've created many playlists along those lines. When in the car, I want to have the freedom to drop out of, and then return to, that structure.

Now I feel like I've transgressed in some way by choosing to sort my music in this fashion.

#237790 - 15/10/2004 22:32 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, in that situation, I'd just find the desired album in the playlist tree and hit "Enqueue". Surprisingly easy to do with the knob.

#237791 - 16/10/2004 01:16 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
My playlists are set up with the artist and all albums under them. and then I have extra playlist called (favorites) with the ()'s so its at the top of the playlist when selecting them from the player menu, and inside favorites I just throw in all my favorite songs and I set it to auto shuffle so I never hear it in the same order. I think you could do what you want my taking your current playlists and just throw ()'s around them and then add the artist/album under them.
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#237792 - 16/10/2004 01:51 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

You know, one of the empeg's great strengths is the ability to be able to create playlists according to arbitrary criteria and have one track appear in many of them.

I've a feeling that it would be very useful if the down, long down combination could be set to go to the current FID's parent in a chosen default tree, rather than the tree used when generating the current running order. This way you could set the default to the traditional artist->album playlist and easily insert the album when appropriate to your mood. I wonder how technically feasible it is...

#237793 - 16/10/2004 03:35 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: matthew_k]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
However, there's no way to get back to the ordered-but-not-by-album-track playlist once you've shuffled and unshuffled

Actually, there is.

Set a bookmark before you shuffle, then return to the bookmark when you have finished with the shuffled play.

tanstaafl.

#237794 - 16/10/2004 11:39 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: tfabris]
ngchol
stranger

Quote:
Oh, in that situation, I'd just find the desired album in the playlist tree and hit "Enqueue". Surprisingly easy to do with the knob.

But that would still require a lot of knob work (sorry) - not feasible while driving. Can you see that what I want would be a useful and popular thing?

#237795 - 16/10/2004 13:22 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Can you see that what I want would be a useful and popular thing?

Yes. A better version of what you suggest (which subsumes the rest-of-this-album action) is already on the wishlist... not, technically, on the car-player wishlist, but other products' features usually end up on the car-player sooner or later.

Peter

#237796 - 16/10/2004 13:30 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: ngchol]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Quote:

But that would still require a lot of knob work (sorry) - not feasible while driving. Can you see that what I want would be a useful and popular thing?

I use the remote while driving, and I can do it without looking at the remote or the empeg.

#237797 - 16/10/2004 14:40 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: Daria]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
I use the remote while driving, and I can do it without looking at the remote or the empeg.

Yes, but you also IRC, surf the web, read the newspaper, eat dinner, and take over small countries while driving.

#237798 - 17/10/2004 03:43 Re: Tweak order to play the whole of a source? (redux) [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but you also IRC, surf the web, read the newspaper, eat dinner, and take over small countries while driving.

For insurance purposes, it was the sea, not me, that killed you.