Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#23825 - 21/12/2000 15:00 More holiday wishes!
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My first holiday wish is to wish everyone a happy holiday.

(Wow, that's almost a palindrome. Creepy.)

Anyway, I just got a Mark2 (I know, some of you are saying, "finally! What took you so long?"), and I have a few wishes. I think the Mark2 is awesome, and these are only strange little wishes. But hey, it's the holiday season, and wishing is part of all that, right?

- I wish for a checkbox on the "configure player" screen in emplode that says "Never allow the volume to go higher than 0db". (Unchecked by default, of course.)

- On that same screen, I wish for a checkbox that says: "Keep playing when the car ignition is turned off." (Yes, I know we can press any button to start it playing again. I also get the feeling that I could just hook both wires to constant power to make it work this way. I said these were strange little wishes.)

- I wish that there was the possibility to simultaneously set up more than one ethernet configuration on the empeg. When switching between work and home, I must reconfigure the empeg to use either DHCP (work) or fixed IP address (home) before it will respond on the ethernet cable. I don't know if this sort of thing is even possible at all. Perhaps there's a way to have it fall back on the last fixed IP addres if it can't find a DHCP server (but it could keep checking for a DHCP server in case one appears)?

#23826 - 22/12/2000 03:05 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tfabris]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
- I wish for a checkbox on the "configure player" screen in emplode that says "Never allow the volume to go higher than 0db". (Unchecked by default, of course.)
I second this. I seem to always get distortion when I accidently turn the volume up past 0dB.
- I wish that there was the possibility to simultaneously set up more than one ethernet configuration on the empeg. When switching between work and home, I must reconfigure the empeg to use either DHCP (work) or fixed IP address (home) before it will respond on the ethernet cable.
This one would be great, too. Though I happen to have the opposite configuration: DHCP at home, static IPs at work.

cu,
sven
(MkII 12GB blue, #080000113)

#23827 - 31/12/2000 11:30 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
Finally! What took you so long? Seriously though I am interested in what features finally made you go for a MK2. Having convinced my SO that the empeg is far more than just another gadget - she now wants one, but I was thinking of trying to pick up a Mk1 to save some money.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341

Edited by mardibloke on 31/12/00 06:31 PM.

#23828 - 31/12/2000 11:56 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: mardibloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

My favorite feature (as silly as this sounds) is the volume knob.

I'm also looking forward to VR.

#23829 - 31/12/2000 21:30 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
...(as silly as this sounds)...

What's silly about that? As far as I can tell, there are only three major differences between a MarkI and a MarkII: The volume knob; Ethernet; and the front panel. And of the three, the volume knob is by far the biggest enhancement.

(yeah, I know, Frank and some of the other Linux gurus might be pretty stoked by the ethernet thing, but as far as day to day use as a music player the volume knob has to take top billing IMHO.)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#23830 - 01/01/2001 10:03 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

Being able to "push" it or "turn" it, or both ? I like access to menus by pusing it, but the "action" on turning it is not the best IMHO, plus for volume control it does not have quite the correct ratio for me. ( As always these are very minor issues on what is a great package )

- --

#23831 - 01/01/2001 11:25 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What's silly about that?

When you think about it the right way, it sounds odd to say, "I have this great new feature on my car stereo! It's called a volume knob! It's really amazing!"

That's all I meant.

(To be honest, my old Sony CD player didn't have a volume knob, either, it had buttons for the volume as well. So I'm not complaining or anything, I just thought it sounded funny when phrased that way.)

#23832 - 04/01/2001 12:27 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tfabris]
MrFarm
stranger

Loc: Guildford

What you want to do, is turn the volume on your amp to minimum, and the empeg to maximum. Play a song, and adjust the volume on the amp untill it is as loud as you want it. That way, if you ever turn it up to 100% volume by accident, you shant be melting your speakers or your ears.

Im told this is standard setup in pro-car-audio.. Just depends how loud you think you will ever go.

I think the vast majority of seperate car amps have a little grub-screw type knob to be turned using a screw driver, labled line volume, input leval, or something similar.

#23833 - 04/01/2001 13:05 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: MrFarm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Play a song, and adjust the volume on the amp untill it is as loud as you want it. That way, if you ever turn it up to 100% volume by accident, you shant be melting your speakers or your ears.

I'm aware of how to properly adjust my amp gains, thank you. In fact, I detailed the procedure in one of my entries in the FAQ.

My wish was not related to the music being too loud. Re-read my wish more closely: I'm asking for an optional 0db ceiling.

What you want to do, is turn the volume on your amp to minimum, and the empeg to maximum.

No, to adjust the Empeg properly, you should turn it to 0db during the amp-gain-setting procedure. If you turn the Empeg to maximum, you are doing it wrong.

The Empeg has the ability to push the volume a few notches past 0db. When you play a 100 percent signal on the Empeg at 0db with no loudness and a flat EQ, you have a perfect waveform that reaches the upper limit of the DSP with no clipping. But if you push the volume past 0db, and the signal reaches a 100 percent peak, then the DSP will clip the signal, introducing distortion. Note that this distortion is digital, in the Empeg's DSP itself, and has nothing to do with your amplifiers and speakers.

In reality, most music doesn't reach that 100 percent mark, and when it does, the transients are so brief as to be unnoticeable even if you've pushed the volume past 0db. That's why the Empeg allows you to deliberately overdrive the DSP in this fashion.

However, I have carefully tuned my amplifiers and EQ based around a 0db ceiling, and I was wishing for the option to lock the empeg's ceiling at 0db for this reason.

#23834 - 05/01/2001 10:31 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tfabris]
MrFarm
stranger

Loc: Guildford
0wned :/

i thought there musta been something i was missing if i was handing out advice not recieving.

I suck :)

#23835 - 05/01/2001 11:43 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: MrFarm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Heh, sorry if I came off as harsh.

We just bought a house, and there's some problems with it, and we're going through some headaches getting the problems all fixed. So I've been under undue stress lately. Some of that seems to have leaked through into my online postings...

#23836 - 05/01/2001 18:45 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

What, not enough ethernet connections in each room

- --

#23837 - 05/01/2001 18:51 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: mardibloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What, not enough ethernet connections in each room

Heh, no, if only it were that simple. No, the kind of stuff I'm dealing with is stuff that only licensed contractors can fix (read:$$$).

#23838 - 06/01/2001 03:01 Re: More holiday wishes! [Re: tfabris]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
In reply to:

I wish for a checkbox on the "configure player" screen in emplode that says "Never allow the volume to go higher than 0db".

Seconded.

I'll also add a wish for an option to limit the maximum in-car startup volume to x, where x is user selectable. Just that on a couple of occasions my g/f has got in the car to be blasted away by the ridiculously high volume I was listening to previously.

Nick.

--
18Gb blue (now AR red) - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)