Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#238685 - 23/10/2004 12:40 LOT (link of tomorrow; it's just *that* forward thinking)
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
In my typical style of testing my internet connection upon restoring it after a failure, I open Google and do a search for something I've never searched for before, confirming that I'm getting a new page from the Internet and not pulling from my cache.

In this instance, I chose the word "huh", because I was thinking, "Huh? Why did my connection go down randomly?" This led me to the website of the world leading, multi-tallented, e-solutions providing, synergized Huh?Corp.

http://www.huhcorp.com/

Definitely a funny 5 minutes worth of reading, mocking the e-marketing hype of yester-millennium's Internet boom.

Oh, and Google's Ad Words kindly offered, twice, to "Search for new & used huh on eBay". But I think I'll take infobert.com up on their offer to "Meet Huh Singles" instead. ::shakes head:: Even the once so-legitimate Google Ad Words can return the most pointless catch-all results.

#238686 - 23/10/2004 17:05 Re: LOT (link of tomorrow; it's just *that* forward thinking) [Re: FireFox31]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
This reminds me of the grammar we developed at the company I used to work for -- basically an automatic vision-statement creator. We forgot to grab it when the company imploded. However, we did manage to get the grammar we created for our CTO, Ged:

http://www.batmanthehorse.com/eged.jsp

Each reload will generate a new email based on the grammar we developed for him. At times it's creepy how close it comes to how he really acted.

A less extensive grammar (he didn't come on till later) was created for our Director of Development, Rob:

http://www.batmanthehorse.com/erob.jsp

ms

#238687 - 23/10/2004 21:38 Re: LOT (link of tomorrow; it's just *that* forward thinking) [Re: FireFox31]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Sounds like my kind of company. I wonder if they are hiring?

#238688 - 23/10/2004 22:19 Re: LOT (link of tomorrow; it's just *that* forward thinking) [Re: Cybjorg]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I wanna see someone with balls enough to put that company on their resume, along with an official-sounding job title and a bunch of accomplishments and duties that would be expected of such a best-in-breed e-business leader.

#238689 - 24/10/2004 00:20 Re: LOT (link of tomorrow; it's just *that* forward thinking) [Re: mschrag]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
mschrag, that is hysterical! If I am ever found working for someone who talks like that, someone please save me.

tony, that's tempting. Just sneak it in somewhere near the middle where nobody will look. But if they do...

#238690 - 24/10/2004 08:26 Re: LOT (link of tomorrow; it's just *that* forward thinking) [Re: mschrag]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
the grammar we developed for him

Ooooh. Do tell me there's a tool for generating these grammars from a corpus of bollocks emails...

Peter (rubs hands gleefully)

#238691 - 25/10/2004 02:34 Re: LOT (link of tomorrow; it's just *that* forward thinking) [Re: mschrag]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Nice pages!

My direct boss is our company's CTO, and he LOVES to string together "industry words" and really means something with them. It's kind of funny at times, but he does listen when I have something to say and respects my opinions about how to get "real work" done. You have to give him credit for that, because most of these types (in my experience at least) get in the way more than they enable things.

But one experience stands out in my mind that I have to share. We were dealing with a client whose IT department was an absolute mess. They weren't doing ANYTHING right. To say they needed to put some processes in place is a major understatement. Anyway, we were tasked with fixing the problems and he woke up early in the morning and recorded a bunch of his ideas on an audio device. Later he met with us and played them back for discussion. Most of the things he said were meaningful, if using excessive verbage and acronyms. We discussed each statement in turn and then brought up some real-world ways of dealing with the situation using his ideas, and this was fairly productive. About the last recording he had was about 15 mish mashed words of I don't know what like: introduce TQM to create synergistic processes to supplement the growing . . ." When the tape finished he just kind of looked at us blankly, paused, and said "Ok, what in the world did that mean?" At least he can admit it when he's talking nonsense!

#238692 - 25/10/2004 22:52 Re: LOT (link of tomorrow; it's just *that* forward thinking) [Re: peter]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I wish This one was just a labor of love that we compiled little-by-little over the course of about a year:

Here's the grammar definition, which is interpreted using dada:
http://www.batmanthehorse.com/ged