Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#241293 - 15/11/2004 17:31 RoadmapGpsApp
keil
new poster

Loc: Los Angeles,CA
I've been way behind in adding apps to my empeg. Finally located a RS Digitraveller GPS and got it working with RoadmapGpsApp v0.3. Now I know what people meant last fall when this app was released. Nice...

However, I'm getting an error (serial shell) below and no roadmap overlay in map window.

** roadmap_file.c, line 70: cannot open file //.roadmap/trips/default
Roadmap initialized
GPS app started
Could not register large font (not sure if this is related)

maps are in /drive0/roadmap
roadmapgpsapp, preferences, scheme in /drive0/programs0
followed the readme and moved all files to /drive0/roadmap for testing, but no luck.

I must be missing something? Any ideas?

keil

#241294 - 15/11/2004 18:40 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: keil]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Quote:
I've been way behind in adding apps to my empeg. Finally located a RS Digitraveller GPS and got it working with RoadmapGpsApp v0.3. Now I know what people meant last fall when this app was released. Nice...

However, I'm getting an error (serial shell) below and no roadmap overlay in map window.

Roadmap initialized
GPS app started
Could not register large font (not sure if this is related)

maps are in /drive0/roadmap
roadmapgpsapp, preferences, scheme in /drive0/programs0
followed the readme and moved all files to /drive0/roadmap for testing, but no luck.

I must be missing something? Any ideas?

keil

Did you make the symbolic link from /usr/share/roadmap to /drive0/roadmap? I can't remember if the large font is necessary- but it should be able to register it so that's a little weird. Make sure your using the latest version which is available here.

Edited by siberia37 (15/11/2004 18:41)

#241295 - 17/11/2004 18:03 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: siberia37]
keil
new poster

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the symlink was added and is pointing /usr/share/roadmap to /drive0/roadmap. Not sure how to register the large font or even if it matters? Roadmapgpsapp is functioning, just no map overlap. Played with menu items, like Toggle Map and switched b/w Text/Map/Sats screens, but no roadmap. Also, increased reservecache from 32 to 64, didn't help. Re-downloaded all roadmapgpsapp files to empeg, no change. All roadmap data files expanded properly in /drive0/roadmap.
preferences:
General.Database: /drive0/roadmap,/usr/share/roadmap

Not sure where to look next?

#241296 - 17/11/2004 19:22 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: keil]
siberia37
old hand

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the symlink was added and is pointing /usr/share/roadmap to /drive0/roadmap. Not sure how to register the large font or even if it matters? Roadmapgpsapp is functioning, just no map overlap. Played with menu items, like Toggle Map and switched b/w Text/Map/Sats screens, but no roadmap. Also, increased reservecache from 32 to 64, didn't help. Re-downloaded all roadmapgpsapp files to empeg, no change. All roadmap data files expanded properly in /drive0/roadmap.
preferences:
General.Database: /drive0/roadmap,/usr/share/roadmap

Not sure where to look next?

Do you have your map files for your state and the master index (the usdir file) in the roadmap directory? When you try to toggle to the screen that displays the address information what if anything shows? It's strange it's not displaying any other errors- usually it complains if it can't find a map file or something.

#241297 - 04/12/2004 10:03 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: siberia37]
keil
new poster

Quote:
Do you have your map files for your state and the master index (the usdir file) in the roadmap directory? When you try to toggle to the screen that displays the address information what if anything shows? It's strange it's not displaying any other errors- usually it complains if it can't find a map file or something.

Sorry for delay, I had to put this on hold due to work load and not enough free time. Thanks for the tips.

Made a bit of progress.
1. Re-checked all INSTALLING.empeg.txt instructions and installed exactly the same.

2. I don't think current location map was in /drive0/roadmap, duh! However, roadmap didn't seem to complain about lack of map. Re-loaded roadmaps for Western US States, AZ, CA, OR, WA, NV, and UT plus usdir. I'm currently in CA. Map for current location, 33N 59' 26.4" 118W 25' 49.5" displays on empeg. However, only a few streets and mainly weird polygon stuff are displayed. This was during 15 mile drive in the local area, West Los Angeles.

2. Read thru http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/manual.html for info on preference and scheme file settings. I couldn't really identify how to adjust declutter to get more detail in roadmap. Sample config's are pretty limited.

2. Found a previous post indicating that:
is normal:
"it happens because the Empeg doesn't have a writable hard drive."

3. Toggling to the address information screen displays:
City: Unknown
Street: Unknown
State: Unknown
County: Unknown
Rise/Set: (correct times)

How do I troubleshoot address screen not showing current location?

#241298 - 06/12/2004 14:34 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: keil]
siberia37
old hand

Quote:

How do I troubleshoot address screen not showing current location?

I'm not really sure what could be going on there- I'll have to do some testing with that location to see if I can reproduce it.
One thing though- you did use the usdir for versions 1.0.7 and earlier of Roadmap right (the old one)? If the address screen displays nothing it means it can't find a road- so it seems like even though your seeing some roads it just isn't finding anything. Did you try zooming in and out with the left and right buttons to see if that makes it look better?

#241299 - 07/12/2004 07:51 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: siberia37]
keil
new poster

Quote:
I'm not really sure what could be going on there- I'll have to do some testing with that location to see if I can reproduce it.
One thing though- you did use the usdir for versions 1.0.7 and earlier of Roadmap right (the old one)? If the address screen displays nothing it means it can't find a road- so it seems like even though your seeing some roads it just isn't finding anything. Did you try zooming in and out with the left and right buttons to see if that makes it look better?

Thanks for the offer to test my GPS position and address screen behavior. Used usdir version 1.0.7, expanded size 926,424. Zoomed in/out during the entire test run...lucky I didn't run over another car while focused on the display and not watching the road. The empeg is installed in a Ford 1-ton 7.3L diesel 4x4 cargo van, easy to run over things with! I'm heading out on a climbing trip to Canadian Rockies this week and will see if maps show more info from CA to WA. Will keep an eye on the address screen if roadmap starts displaying proximal streets or highways.

#241300 - 16/05/2005 22:37 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: keil]
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
Hello, I was wondering if I can bump this thread? I just installed RoadMapGPSapp, and am not getting a map nor address info. I am in California.. the lat/long. display OK. This would be very cool if I can get it to work.

Thanks
-Ted

#241301 - 17/05/2005 14:03 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: TedP]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The setup of roadmapgpsapp is tricky, and if it's not done exactly right according to the readme, you will see no maps on the screen. Go through the readme again and make sure you've done all the steps.

Here's a couple of the steps that tend to get missed and that I've given a special note to myself about, perhaps these are what you need to do?

Quote:
Next you must upload the preferences and schema files I included into the directory
/usr/share/roadmap, you will need to make this directory. You can make the directory again using Hijack's FTP issuing the
FTP command 'cd /usr/share' and then saying 'mkdir roadmap'.

Now the important part- A symbolic link must be made between /usr/share/roadmap to /drive0/roadmap
To do this, while still at the command prompt type:
cd /usr/share
ln -s /drive0/roadmap roadmap

#241302 - 17/05/2005 15:17 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: tfabris]
TedP

Thanks for the reply Tony. I was very careful to follow the steps outlined. The only difference from the way you mentioned is that I used a shell prompt rather than the FTP interface to create the directories. Dang.. Feel like I'm so close on this I will re-review the readme just to be safe though.

I should add that the GPSApp portion of the application seems to work OK: I am getting the sat. power levels along with latitude and logitude info.

Cheers,
-Ted

Edited by TedP (17/05/2005 15:34)

#241303 - 17/05/2005 17:07 Re: RoadmapGpsApp [Re: TedP]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Just double-checked... the file you need to follow isn't actually called "readme", it's called "installing.empeg.txt".

I'm assuming we're talking about the same file already, I just wanted to make certain, just in case.

#241304 - 19/05/2005 20:11 Re: RoadmapGpsApp -- Solved [Re: tfabris]
TedP

Well: After going through all RoadMapGPS related posts, I got the solution. Since I extracted the usdir.rdm file on my local PC, and then transfered it to the EMPEG, either the unzipper or the ftper must have corrected for CR/LFs, and inadvertently corrupted the file. Once I ftp'd the tar file over, and extracted on the EMPEG, all is working! -- WooHoo!

#241305 - 20/05/2005 01:07 Re: RoadmapGpsApp -- Solved [Re: TedP]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If your unzipper was "Winzip", then that definitely corrupted the CR/LFs. It has a feature called "smart TAR CR/LF handling" (or something like that) which is on by default, but which should be disabled.

Glad you got it working.