Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242599 - 25/11/2004 16:51 Wix
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Anybody here ever used Wix? I'm interested in using this for the product we sell at work, I currently use inno because of the flexibility of using scripts and building from the command line, each disk that we supply to our customers is different and I've got a system all rigged up to add customers to the database and generate disks and updates etc....

It'd be nice to migrate to a MSI installer, and the fact that wix installers build by scripts and from the command line is good news.

There's very little decent doc's about wix, I found a pretty comprehensive guide and have got a good idea on how to build an installer, so nothing scares me about it.

I can't however find anything about (pre) installing device drivers, specifically a USB device driver (only interested in 2K upwards), anobody here had any experience with this?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Adrian

#242600 - 25/11/2004 20:00 Re: Wix [Re: sn00p]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Anybody here ever used Wix?

Yeah, some. Not in anger yet, though.

The best place to try is the wix-users mailing list on SourceForge. There are some relatively useful blogs out there as well.

#242601 - 25/11/2004 20:04 Re: Wix [Re: Roger]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Quote:
Quote:
Anybody here ever used Wix?

Yeah, some. Not in anger yet, though.

The best place to try is the wix-users mailing list on SourceForge. There are some relatively useful blogs out there as well.

Yeah, looked there, but there were under 10 hits for the word "device", so I'm guessing that it's not something that people are really that interested in.

I guess my solution would be to just write a dll and call it from wix to install the device driver, using the SetupCopyOEMInf call.

#242602 - 26/11/2004 07:35 Re: Wix [Re: sn00p]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Yeah, looked there...

Ah, but did you subscribe and ask the question yourself? You'd at least have got some pointers.

Quote:
I guess my solution would be to just write a dll and call it from wix to install the device driver, using the SetupCopyOEMInf call.

A custom action DLL for installing drivers might be useful to other Wix users, which is another reason why I suggest sharing it with the mailing list.