Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242716 - 28/11/2004 19:44 Laptop mounting bracket for kitchen: Any Advice?
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Hi Gang,
Has anyone had any experience with mounting a laptop on a bracket (either wall mounted or cabinet mounted) so that it can be moved around or out of the way?

Any advice or brand to recommend? One requirement would be that it must be stiff enough to withstand normal use without "sagging" (normal keyboard or built-in mouse usage).

At first I thought I might look for a monitor / LCD mounting bracket, but I'm starting to think that those may not have the qualities I'm looking for....

BTW, the laptop is wireless and there's an AC outlet right where I'd mount to the wall or cabinet...

Thanks, Randy

#242717 - 28/11/2004 20:49 Re: Laptop mounting bracket for kitchen: Any Advice? [Re: The Central Guy]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Maybe I'm just unlucky, or maybe we eat food, the cooking of which is unhealthy for electronic equipment, but the shortest life of CD lasers, and the most frequent visits to the repairers for TVs is always the stuff in the kitchen. I wouldn't install any bracket that made a laptop semi permanent in my kitchen.
No we don't use a deep fat fryer!

#242718 - 28/11/2004 22:54 Re: Laptop mounting bracket for kitchen: Any Advice? [Re: boxer]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Thanks, I didn't get too specific in my original post, but my tentative mounting location is many feet away from the cooking area, almost at the boundary of our living room.

So I think I'll be okay from the dangers of the kitchen fumes, steam, etc. Thanks for the reminder, though....I'll work to keep it as far as possible away from those sources...

Randy

#242719 - 29/11/2004 09:42 Re: Laptop mounting bracket for kitchen: Any Advice? [Re: The Central Guy]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Haven't tried it, bt my gut feeling is it sould work OK is one of those wall mounts for something like a 14-21" CRT TV... The ones
i''ve seen all hfave had decent size plate that could be angled somewhat. If you want it more ecure, and/or neater than a nylon strap I'd look at finding or machining some steel or alu C-clamps in suitable size, drilll and tap for screws to tighten clamp/stand/laptop tohether