Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#243025 - 01/12/2004 21:01 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee: face plate adapter recomendations
RandallFarr
new poster

So, I've finally got a working tuner kit, along with my Empeg, some JL Audio XR650csi speakers, and an 750 watt RockfordFosgate amp installed in my (new to me) Jeep. Well, mostly. The Empeg is just sitting in the 1.5 din space in the dash at the moment. I had ordered this adapter, but it doesn't fit. The hole in the front is too small for the Empeg to slide through. Besides that, the side "ears" are seperate pieces that just loosely snap on- not very rugged by any means. I did like that it had a small cubby hole just below the din hole, which would provide a little buffer space between the Empeg and the heat/air vents just below.

I may end up just fabricating an adapter/face plate my self. I did one for my last vehicle (Dodge Caravan) which came out pretty well.

Before I get under way though, is there anyone out there that has used/is using a Jeep/Chrysler 1.5din adapter that they're really happy with?

-Randy

#243026 - 01/12/2004 21:49 Re: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee: face plate adapter recomendations [Re: RandallFarr]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Per the specs, that adapter should fit an empeg without a problem. It states speciifically that it provides for DIN mounting. You'd better have another (close) look. It might be tight, but the sled should fit the top hole. Unless of course you didn't get the correct part. You might not want (or be able) to use those side parts with the holes in them. Those might be for non-DIN applications. You'd then want to support the sled from below with a little block of wood or something.

Bruno

#243027 - 28/12/2004 12:42 Re: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee: face plate adapter recomendations [Re: RandallFarr]
Redrum
old hand

I made a Chrysler 1.5 DIN adapter from 1/8" steel plate and used the two bolt holes that held the factory radio. The bottom bolt gave me a bit of grief because it wanted to hit the cowling (or whatever that cover is). I spaced out the plate from the dash using nuts as spacers. The plate supports the empeg sled nicely (not like the plastic ones you get from Circuit City) and all I had to do was bend out the sled tabs to hold the sled in place. The plate and sled now comes out easily. All I have to do is pull the cowling off and undo two bolts. I painted the plate flat black and it looks factory, no gaps anywhere.

#243028 - 11/01/2005 14:21 Re: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee: face plate adapter recomendations [Re: Redrum]
RandallFarr
new poster

Sounds like a cool solution, Redrum.

I actually just finished my faceplate fabrication. I ended up making the front from a piece of maple board I had lying around, and a shelf that extends back to support the sled. Unfortunately, I've lost the battery charger for my camera (Canon S30 - anyone got a spare charger they don't need? ), so I didn't take pics while I was making it. I'm going to have to pull it out in the next few weeks for some final touches and am going to get some pics to post then.

Since the piece of maple I used didn't have much of a grain to it, I used an exacto knife to 'etch' some faux grain into it. When I stained it, the etching absorbed more of the stain making it nice and dark. I finished it off by coating the exposed surface with some marine, clear epoxy resin, which set up very thick and shiny, giving it a nice rounded look and feel. The epoxy was some that my dad had picked up from a friend that works on sail boats, in some unmarked jars. As a result, I don't know exactly what the stuff is. I also didn't realize that it should be coated with a U/V inhibitor, hence me having to pull it out for a 'final touch'.

It was a fun little project. Even though I put some serious time into it (running around to friends' places to use different tools among other things), the payoff was worth it. I now have a faceplate that looks better than a factory fit, supports the sled from the bottom as well as the front, and have the satisfaction that I made it myself.

I'll post the pics (hopefully) by the end of the month.

-Randy