Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#243722 - 09/12/2004 23:10 jemplode download quirkiness.
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

Trying to figure a few things out... I just installed v69.00000000001 and I'm still having the same issues so the problem is yet to be solved...

Everytime I do a mass download from my empeg to my HD, some folders are re-backed up every time. I think it has something to do with comma's in the album name or song title... Example songs are:

Live at the Roxy, Hollywood, California, May 26, 1976 - The Complete Concert

and this track:

Makin' A Living / Hot Wheels (The Chase) / Theme, The / Gimmie Some Love - Kenny Dope/The Powerhouse Three/Badder Than Evil/Unique 3/Love Corporation.

Also, some folders won't back up at all. I THINK it's folders where I use a colon...

Anyone run into this before? Is there a fix?

- Thanx
- Jon

#243723 - 10/12/2004 01:46 Re: jemplode download quirkiness. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've gotten to the point where I deliberately remove all Windows-illegal characters from all tags, just so I don't run into problems like this. For example, instead of a colon I'll use a hyphen.

Ideally, Jemplode shouldn't barf on illegal characters, it should just be nice and convert them to an underscore or something.

By the way, the windows-illegal characters are:

/
\
:
?
"
<
>
|

#243724 - 10/12/2004 14:17 Re: jemplode download quirkiness. [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
I've gotten to the point where I deliberately remove all Windows-illegal characters from all tags, just so I don't run into problems like this. For example, instead of a colon I'll use a hyphen.

Ok, that would work, but it SHOULD be easy to get jemplode to do it... I'd like to keep my tags as god intended... :-)

- Jon

#243725 - 11/12/2004 01:46 Re: jemplode download quirkiness. [Re: jbauer]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I actually cleanse MOST characters ... I might have missed colon or something. I think they turn into _'s actually. I'll have to look when I have a free moment. Been 100x busier than normal recently with the new job.

#243726 - 11/12/2004 04:03 Re: jemplode download quirkiness. [Re: mschrag]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
I actually cleanse MOST characters ... I might have missed colon or something. I think they turn into _'s actually. I'll have to look when I have a free moment. Been 100x busier than normal recently with the new job.

Ok, yes, one of the problems is the colon character. I think Jemplode is skipping a track if it has a colon within a part of the tag which will become part of the filename.

There's another problem which causes Jemplode to always download a track even if it already exists...

The 2nd issue isn't as concerning, as it just takes time. The colon issue prevents my trusted backup from being complete... That's a much bigger deal.

- Thanx in advance for fixing this when you get a chance!
- Jon

#243727 - 09/06/2005 07:14 Re: jemplode download quirkiness. [Re: jbauer]
jbauer
veteran

Mike,

Ok, I have tested all the questionable characters by putting a /, a , and a : into the song name and the album title name, and I can't get jemplode to NOT download the file. I have whole directories of files that jemplode just refuses to download, and I can't figure out why.

Should I get you a sample of a file that can't be downloaded with jemplode so you could see if it's something else?

- Jon

#243728 - 09/06/2005 13:33 Re: jemplode download quirkiness. [Re: jbauer]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
If there is a playlist with a weird character in it, it's possible that's untested -- So is it literally an entire playlist that isn't downloaded?

Can you run jemplode from the console and send me the output from when you try to download?

java -jar jemplode.jar > output.txt

#243729 - 09/06/2005 14:15 Re: jemplode download quirkiness. [Re: mschrag]
jbauer
veteran

Ok, I've attached the output file. It looks like all the files that didn't back up are listed in the file. Check out the Danny Elfman directory - the whole thing doesn't get backed up...

The songs that used to re-back up every time I would do a back up isn't happening when I run java from the console, which is weird...

So "unknown source" - sounds like a directory name or file name problem...

- Jon

Attachments
257510-output.txt (445 downloads)

#243730 - 09/06/2005 14:25 Re: jemplode download quirkiness. [Re: jbauer]
jbauer
veteran

Also, here's the contents for both Danny Elfman directories. I originally backed up the 2nd directory using emplode, that's why it's even in there. jemplode just ignores that directory...

- Jon

Attachments
257513-directory.txt (463 downloads)