Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#243731 - 10/12/2004 03:01 Ebay ettiquite Q.
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Seller ships, fedx says it was delevered, (no signature reqd), buyer says, "It diddn't arrive."

What is the sellers liability?

#243732 - 10/12/2004 03:28 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: gbeer]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Dunno about actual 'liability' - you'd have to look up the rules on eBay. I'm sure they cover these situations.

I'd say the sender should at furnish whatever information they have to show that it was at least sent. Consignment notes, tracking numbers, and so forth. I'm sure FedEx would be able to help the seller there, as I imagine they too deal with this situation on a regular basis.

There's not much the buyer can do to prove that they don't have the item in question. But since presumably the seller has already given money to the buyer, it's up to the seller to provide information that states that e held up eir end of the bargain (i.e. sent the stuff). Stuff that's delivered with no signature will still have some proof - driver documentation - that the delivery took place.

This takes care of the scenario where the seller claims to have sent something but has only pocketed the money, and where the buyer did receive something but claims that e didn't (hoping to get a refund or another one). This is why it's important for the seller to have good documentation. If the seller can't provide such documentation, then I'd say the seller is obliged to make good on the delivery or give the buyer's money back.

So which are you, gbeer?

Have fun,

Paul

P.S. Do I look like a lawyer? No, I didn't think so.

#243733 - 10/12/2004 06:46 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: gbeer]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Is there a signature that Fed_Ex can show? Is it legible?

#243734 - 10/12/2004 08:54 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: mtempsch]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
"no signature reqd"->no I assume

#243735 - 10/12/2004 11:28 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: gbeer]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I'm not sure, but does FedEx have some sort of base liability or insurance that covers such a thing?

#243736 - 10/12/2004 12:42 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: Cybjorg]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I've had them deliver to the wrong address before. Just give their customer service a call and find out where the driver delivered it. In my case, they told me the address where they delivered it and I figured out who it was and went over there and asked for it. Of course, that was a package that was shipped to me and not vice versa.

#243737 - 10/12/2004 15:09 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: gbeer]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Well when I sell I offer different options for postage usually. If they want a signature they pay more, if they don't and it goes missing then its not my problem. I would never reimburse someone who has opted for the cheaper postage on an expensive item as its their choice before bidding.

More recently I've only offered postage with a signature (its only 64p more). That way there can be no argument.

#243738 - 10/12/2004 18:37 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: PaulWay]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Quote:

So which are you, gbeer?

Me, I'm the first time seller who received the payment and shipped the item. Heck, I even though I specified buyer pays shipping, I made up the difference between rock bottom USPS shipping and FEDEX ground just to have the tracking and insurance. I thought that I provided insurance for the ebay selling price ~$150, but the receipt shows only the std $100.

When I first heard no arrival, My first thought was "glad it was FEDEX, somebody had to sign". Was dismayed when checking the tracking it showed sig. not reqd.

Me, I'm not a lawyer either, but there's both legal and moral liability.

What I think is a even handed way to chase this problem is this.
- Get FEDEX to provide whatever info they can. Hopefully this will find it.
- Make a claim with FEDEX. That won't likely help. I'll bet they will claim their liability ended when the box was dropped and they have the records to show it was dropped.
- Get the seller to file a stolen property report.
- Beyond that it would seem to be a matter of conscience.

#243739 - 10/12/2004 20:17 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: gbeer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
If the buyer paid you in CASH or cash-like instrument (money order, wire transfer), then you have the upper hand. if they paid by Paypal (with or without a credit card) or credit card directly, then the buyer holds ALL the cards - and there's no two ways about it.

As a buyer, if you've paid for something with your credit card and had it shipped via UPS or FedEx or some such courier, whether you get the packge or not, if it wasn't signed for, you can say anything you want. There's no way to PROVE you received it. FedEx or UPS employee's word is simply not good enough.

Heck, the credit card company will reverse charges on Paypal even if the package was signed for at the door (if the buyer pushes). Because there's no signature for the sale and/or no physical card-swipe, the buyer can pretty much have any such transaction reversed (watch out for scamming buyers).

The goal here is to push this on to FedEx. It should be their liability if they left the package unattended and the package was subsequently not received (or no proof of reception can be provided). As a seller you have to make sure you didn't authorize FedEx to leave the package unattended. As a buyer, one would only need to make sure they haven't signed anything (and as I said, if it was a credit card transaction, and was signed for by anyone else in the house, even you, you can still get charges reversed).

Bruno

#243740 - 11/12/2004 01:43 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: gbeer]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Seller ships, fedx says it was delevered, (no signature reqd), buyer says, "It diddn't arrive."

If payment was made through PayPal, the buyer has automatic insurance for the amount of the purchase.

That might be an avenue worth pursuing.

tanstaafl.

#243741 - 11/12/2004 12:52 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: gbeer]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
When I first heard no arrival, My first thought was "glad it was FEDEX, somebody had to sign". Was dismayed when checking the tracking it showed sig. not reqd.

We had this problem with FedEx in the past. My question to them was what the hell they meant by "no signature required" when I was certainly expecting a signature for an insured courier delivered package. There are two possible answers - either you instructed them not to collect a signature, or the recipient has a waiver on file with FedEx to leave goods at their address without a signature. If the former, it's your problem. If the latter it is definitely the recipient's problem - they would have gone to some effort to instruct FedEx to override their usual procedures, and FedEx can provide you (the shipper) with a copy of that waiver.

If neither you nor the recipient requested delivery with no signature required, FedEx screwed up and you should be able to recover the value of the goods from them (or less if you specified the wrong value on the shipping bill). Although this is a grey area, it is likely that the insurance claim would be your responsibility.

Rob

#243742 - 11/12/2004 12:56 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: tanstaafl.]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
If payment was made through PayPal, the buyer has automatic insurance for the amount of the purchase.

Yes, but PayPal will recover the funds from the seller.. credit card companies do the same thing - there is only ever one loser in these situations, and it isn't the buyer or the credit card company. Merchants are always the fall guy.

Rob

#243743 - 12/12/2004 01:39 Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: rob]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Update: Payment was by money order. And the buyer is being proactive with fedex.

On a seperate note. It occured to me I might see if the buyer lived in a high traffic area by looking his address up on mapquest and then matching that in World Wind. That's just a little scary isn't it.

#243744 - 18/12/2004 00:12 The End, Re: Ebay ettiquite Q. [Re: rob]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

The buyer checked up with the local FedEX. As I figured, it was delivered and that's that. I went to the local mail center and explained the problem. They paid off on the insurance then and there. In Cash to boot. I've refunded that to the buyer.

At this point I call it done.