Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244652 - 24/12/2004 18:03 Site to Site VPN with Linksys BEFVP41
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
Hi All, Merry X-mass/Happy Holiday

I am trying to figure out how to use my Cisco IP phone at home. The problem is that the IP Phone network at work is using private addressing and since the IP Phone can't have a VPN running on it I need a site to site VPN. I could use a soft phone but I really want a hard phone and I need to have it up all the time so it can receive calls.

So my setup is a linksys BEFVP41 hooked into my Cable Modem then at work I have another BEFVP41 hooked to the public side of my network and another connection into the private side.
The phone system is on 6 different Vlans that are routed. My IP phone would need to talk to other devices on a different subnet.

I can get the tunnel set up but I can't figure out how the phone will send it's traffic via the VPN tunnel. I set the phone up with the same address scheme and gateway as it would be if it were directly hooked up to the private side of the remote VPN.
What am I missing?

Any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

#244653 - 27/12/2004 12:54 Re: Site to Site VPN with Linksys BEFVP41 [Re: jwtadmin]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You need to set it up so that it uses your Linksys router as its gateway. However, it reads as if the Linksys router is an additional device on both networks and not the one router that all traffic goes through. If that's the case, then the computers on the remote side need to know to use the remote Linksys router as their gateway for talking to your phone (and whatever else you want to VPN). If I'm correct in my assumption that it's an additional router, that means that you'll have to set up a static route on every computer (that you want to be able to use the VPN) on the remote side. And, for that matter, on your side, too. This is likely to be a big pain.

#244654 - 28/12/2004 11:23 Re: Site to Site VPN with Linksys BEFVP41 [Re: wfaulk]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
I think I am going to go the route of establishing a separate subnet for the VPN'd traffic. That way the router only needs to be taught where to send traffic for me.