Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244724 - 27/12/2004 14:59 Still having Radio RDS problem...
mpelaz
journeyman

hi all, and merry christmas!

After a whole year with my nice PCA radio module, I'm getting crazy looking how my favourite FM RDS stations go away every time I drive near to a gsm scrambler or poor reception areas...
I still don't know how to fix this problem, the tuner changes the station thinking that there's a stronger RDS signal, but it is ALWAYS incorrect. And the AF "on / off" switch doesn't change the tuner's feelings...
when I use the other car (with a Seat aura RadioCD) it keeps the station nicely and doesn't change, if it does, it tune a stronger station (of the same broadcaster, of course)
I'm running v2.00 final, and I think it's a known bug but, is there any way to solve it? I spend all my job's travel every morning changing the memory station up and down to retune the original frequency. And it always change it just in the most important part of the morning news!! ;-)
Well, in fact I'd preffer to have it not working (no RDS AF at all) than the other important miss, the seek function.

Please help me, I'm going crazy!!

Miguel.

#244725 - 27/12/2004 15:47 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: mpelaz]
mpelaz
journeyman

hi again

sorry for being so insistent...
I've been reading some posts and I've found more people with my problem... I'll try to explain it better.

I live in Madrid (Spain) and near all FM stations have a good RDS AF functionality, you can cross the country and your FM tuner will retune itself to the local frequency of your favourite station. For example, you're listening to RNE3 and you have it recorded in slot 1. Every decent FM RDS tuner will get 93.2 in Madrid, 95.8 in northern Madrid, and will change the freq. to the strongest alternative one every time the signal is poor. If you travel with the tuner off, when you arrive and recall slot 1 (RNE3), the tuner should know it has to retune to the alternative local frequency, given by the broadcaster via RDS.

The fact is that Empeg RDS code doesn't do that, and changes the frequency with no sense, even 5 or 6 times per minute in worst cases. Sometimes it detects it has tuned a wrong station and comes back to the original freq, some times not.
Usually it changes to the same alternative station, (wrong one, of course) depending on where you are and the strenght of the signal. The alt. freq. it tunes to, is not in the list of alternative frequencies the station gives. Most of the times it stucks in a wrong (and poor) station and you have to select the next memory slot up and down again to have the original freq.
I've always thought that it was a bad implemented AF function, but I cannot switch it off. Maybe it has nothing to do with it...
The rest of RDS tuners I have do that work perfectly.
I'm be able to record some traces if someone have an idea about how to get rid of this. :-)

Thanks again,

Miguel.

#244726 - 30/12/2004 06:55 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: mpelaz]
mpelaz
journeyman

ok folks, I guess most of you live in America, so you don't have to deal with RDS... but, any of you have experienced similar problems?
Please help me, I'm beginning to think about buying a second unit only to play decent FM... a pity having PCATS module

cheers,

MIguel

#244727 - 30/12/2004 11:25 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: mpelaz]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I live in the US and have found the RDS to be totally crap on v2.0 final, it tends to switch my Public Radio to an unrelated oldies station repeatedly in a 2 mile section of my commute. Setting the RDS on or off via the interface has absolutely zero effect on the auto switching (it just removes the text display from the screen). I've never known if this is the fault of the RDS the stations put out or just an empeg quirk. When I have RDS set on I also very often get garbled text output. Sorry I don't have better news. Perhaps someone else can comment and point up what I'm missing?

-Zeke

#244728 - 19/01/2005 14:15 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: Ezekiel]
Wood
new poster

Loc: Boston, MA
I've just purchased a used Original Tuner (thanks to this board!) and am having a similar RDS/AF problem with 94.5FM in Boston. The station jumps to 107.9 after about 10 seconds.

Disabling AF via the 2.0 final software has no effect. I was hoping Hijack might help with this, and I noticed these two entries in the Hijack change log:

v337-v338 Cosmetic changes to the RDS/AF disable code.
v336-v337 Removed CONFIG_IRCOMM=y from car2 config; added "Tuner AF Blocking" to menu.

But it looks like these Hijack menu options aren't in the current versions of Hijack. Anyone know what happened to them? I'll try v338 later this week to see if it helps but this thread "Hijack v337 and RDS/AF Issues" doesn't make me very hopeful.

Was anyone able to get RDS disabled? Can we clip a wire on the connector to the tuner module and kill it?

-Steve

#244729 - 19/01/2005 17:45 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: Wood]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Quote:
Can we clip a wire on the connector to the tuner module and kill it?

Yes, you will definitely kill it if you do that
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#244730 - 19/01/2005 17:58 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: schofiel]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
FYI. his response means DONT DO THAT

#244731 - 20/01/2005 02:13 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: RobotCaleb]
Wood
new poster

Hah, good thing I didn't ask how to stop my brakes from squeaking!

I'd assumed that the RDS information didn't travel on its own wire but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

But it is frustrating to drop $200 on a tuner only to find out that certain stations can randomly change. The other bug that is getting on my nerves is the lack of seek function in 2.0 Final.

Could the RDS/AF problem be put in the tuner section of the FAQ? The original poster has it worse than I do (only one station is affected for me) but if I'd read this in the FAQ beforehand I might have thought twice about risking the $200 on a component with a known bug...

<Crank mode off>

Hopefully the code will be reinstated in Hijack?

-Steve

#244732 - 20/01/2005 02:18 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: Wood]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The other bug that is getting on my nerves is the lack of seek function in 2.0 Final.

You can use 2.0 Beta 13 to get around that one.

Quote:
Could the RDS/AF problem be put in the tuner section of the FAQ?

If a working fix is available, let me know and I'll put that in the FAQ.

#244733 - 20/01/2005 02:34 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: Wood]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The $200 component (the tuner module) is NOT the one with the bug. The bug is in the free v2.00 software upgrade you have for your Empeg/Rio Car player. You could always bump it back to the s/w version that came with it originally, and the problem may go away. Or use v2-beta13. Or write a quick hack for hijack to blot out all of the RDS data (if possible).

Cheers

#244734 - 20/01/2005 12:07 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: Wood]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

But there is a seek function (or at least what I would call seek): press and hold (> 0.5 sec) on either the Fast Forward or Rewind on the RIO remote, and it will seek up, or down, to the next radio station.

The reason it jumps off frequency is due to the station list available over RDS to the player being re-populated incorrectly. It is a genuine bug in 2.0 final.

PS. Squeaky brakes either mean the pads have dust behind them (remove, air dust, clean the pad backs and then apply high temperature grease to the back of the pad backplates before re-inserting) or that they are worn down to the backing plates (you are about to die).

#244735 - 20/01/2005 16:29 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But there is a seek function (or at least what I would call seek): press and hold (> 0.5 sec) on either the Fast Forward or Rewind on the RIO remote, and it will seek up, or down, to the next radio station.

In software version 2.0 final, it appears to do that, but actually all that it's doing is incrementing the frequency by several points and then stopping. It's not stopping on a strong station, it's just stopping at a position several points past where you started.

At first, we thought it was working, but later realized it wasn't.

#244736 - 20/01/2005 16:50 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Then you are not holding the button in long enough: I have 2.0F on my test machine, connected to a factory tuner on the bench in front of me. It has just tuned up from 88.3MHz to 92.7, followed by 101.7, all with remote presses. All are strong channels, and NO, there are no presets stored - I have to use this rig for tuner build tests.

What am I doing wrong?

#244737 - 20/01/2005 16:56 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: schofiel]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Nope. I can hold the >> button 'till the cows come home, and all it does is advance the frequency by 0.4 each time. Perhaps you're in a saturated area, Rob, where *any* change of freq gives a new station.

EDIT: wait, that's v3-alpha8 on that player.

My other player has v2.01 on it, and holding down >> has NO EFFECT whatsoever. I suppose I'll try v2-final again to see what that does now

EDIT2: Same deal with v2-final -- holding down >> has NO EFFECT whatsoever. With the Kenwood remote (instead of Rio Remote), holding down >> appears to do something, but it's not SEEK -- instead it just stops on its own sometimes, and other times stops when I let go, whether on a station or not.

Edited by mlord (20/01/2005 17:12)

#244738 - 20/01/2005 19:22 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Or maybe it's related to RDS. Perhaps it only works to seek for the next RDS station or something.

#244739 - 21/01/2005 01:39 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: schofiel]
Wood
new poster

Quote:
The reason it jumps off frequency is due to the station list available over RDS to the player being re-populated incorrectly. It is a genuine bug in 2.0 final.

I was aware that the seek bug is a problem with 2.0 final, are you saying that the RDS problems are also a bug in 2.0 final?

I guess I'll try 2.0 beta 13 and see if it behaves any better.

UPDATE: Just read the release notes for 2.0 Final at: http://www.empeg.com/downloads/car-v2.00-notes.txt and it seems to indicate that the RDS/AF feature is new in 2.0 Final. I'll try beta 13 tomorrow and report back here.

-Steve

EDIT: Fixed quoting
EDIT: Release notes

Edited by Wood (21/01/2005 02:01)

#244740 - 21/01/2005 01:42 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: tfabris]
Wood
new poster

Quote:
If a working fix is available, let me know and I'll put that in the FAQ.

My thought was that there should be an entry that there is no known fix for this problem, as a heads up to anyone about to buy a tuner.

-Steve

#244741 - 21/01/2005 16:31 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: Wood]
Wood
new poster

2.0 beta 13 fixed the RDS/AF problem!

The scan/seek feature is also working now. (That part we already knew.)

-Steve

#244742 - 21/01/2005 18:34 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: Wood]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

FAQed as promised.

#244743 - 24/01/2005 07:50 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: Wood]
mpelaz
journeyman

Hi all again,

Well, thanks all for your interest, tonight I'll try to roll back to 2b13 and try. Madrid has about 40 FM RDS stations so is a good city to test it ;-)
I hope to post good news tomorrow.

cheers,

Miguel.

#244744 - 03/02/2005 15:50 Re: Still having Radio RDS problem... [Re: mpelaz]
mpelaz
journeyman

Ok, It's done.

Last night I rolled back my Empeg to 2b13. I updated Hijack to 417 too. Didn't remember how nervous I feel during the "booting" time...

so I plugged it into the sled and... Works!! FM stations are now stable, for the first time!! It shows right RDS data too. I only have a test to do, driving through various stations of the same broadcast. Maybe next week.

It may be a personal feeling, but I think this firmware version sounds worse than 2.00 final does. FM seems to have a not so wide stereo than before. It sounds more 'compact', 'closed'... (don't know how to describe it!) After playing a little with Eq, I felt satisfied but not convinced... It seems to need more 'power' in the eq. curve to sound as rich as before. (my car has original loudspeakers, which sounds fairly good with a 75x4 amp).
So, my question is, Does anybody know if there is a change in sound process between 2b13 and 2.00 final?
Quite sure It is an autosuggesing matter...

Thanks a lot,

Miguel.