Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#245967 - 22/03/2005 18:19 Re: Planning on heading to Europe this summer. Any tips & where's the [Re: kayakjazz]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
We're arriving (via Dusseldorf) the morning of 1July, and so far are playing that week "by ear"....have to be back in Dusseldorf in time to leave 13:50 on12/7....let us know what works best for you.

OK, I think I have to be in New Jersey on July 4, but haven't any flights booked yet. Will let you know as soon as I have sorted out my schedule.
Quote:
As my board name suggests, I'm an ocean kayaker; so we'll probably need to rent a double to keep Doug afloat...

Well, I have Kleppers - so we are talking aircraft carrier class here. A 1-seater, a 2-seater and a 3-seater, so we should be OK
Quote:
I'll be looking forward to that adventure! ..if you're in the States, it's a great way to see New York too!

Hmm... Still think the Hudson Corridor at 500 feet in a small plane is the best way, but don't know if that's still possible post 9/11...

#245968 - 22/03/2005 20:12 Re: Planning on heading to Europe this summer. Any tips & where's the [Re: julf]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Hmm... Still think the Hudson Corridor at 500 feet in a small plane is the best way, but don't know if that's still possible post 9/11...

It was still open nine months ago. The last news I heard was that some senator was trying to collect security brownie points by clamoring for its closure.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#245969 - 23/03/2005 01:24 Re: Planning on heading to Europe this summer. Any tips & where's the [Re: julf]
kayakjazz

Loc: Bay Area, CA/Anchorage, AK
Kleppers--and such a variety--way to go! Do you know what an Easy Rider take-apart is?....sure to gather a crowd when you remove it from the van and start assembling it! Mine has been about in Cessna 180's and 172's---but you could take yours to NYC with you if you wished, and I'd have trouble paying for mine, as it's fiberglass. Although as I recall the weight of a Klepper isn't negligible.... An amsterdam paddle would be so exciting...hope we can work it out!

We would have whatever's left of the eleventh too; don't have to be back in Dusseldorf 'til noon on the 12th.

Watching the NYC fireworks on the 4th is a world-class treat!

#245970 - 23/03/2005 13:43 Re: Planning on heading to Europe this summer. Any tips & where's the [Re: bonzi]
julf
veteran

Quote:
last news[/url] I heard was that some senator was trying to collect security brownie points by clamoring for its closure.

Hmmpf. And I'm still kicking myself for not taking Ken Thompson up on his offer to fly the corridor with me something like 10 years ago... Fortunately not in a MiG-29 . At the time I was still a bit too green to do it on my own.

#245971 - 23/03/2005 13:51 Re: Planning on heading to Europe this summer. Any tips & where's the [Re: kayakjazz]
julf
veteran

Quote:
Do you know what an Easy Rider take-apart is?

Only seen pics...
Quote:
sure to gather a crowd when you remove it from the van and start assembling it!

I'll bet
Quote:
Although as I recall the weight of a Klepper isn't negligible....

It's bloody heavy!
Quote:
An amsterdam paddle would be so exciting...hope we can work it out!
Let's make sure we do!
Quote:
We would have whatever's left of the eleventh too; don't have to be back in Dusseldorf 'til noon on the 12th.

OK - and I should be back from the US on the 6th or the 7th.
Quote:
Watching the NYC fireworks on the 4th is a world-class treat!

Well, I will be in NJ - at the annual get-together of the drum and fife corps Elaine's father founded and that the whole family played in loooooooong ago...

#245972 - 23/03/2005 17:43 Re: Planning on heading to Europe this summer. Any tips & where's the [Re: julf]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Hmmpf. And I'm still kicking myself for not taking Ken Thompson up on his offer to fly the corridor with me something like 10 years ago... Fortunately not in a MiG-29 . At the time I was still a bit too green to do it on my own.

Err, isn't the bird in the picture (still far too fast for sightseeing - how about a blimp?) a Check L-39 Albatross? But I say (never having flown in anything but airliners): if you want to have your entrails squashed, inner ear terminally confused and generally be half-killed, do it in Su-27; what is use of all that if you cannot boast having performed a Cobra maneuvre?

But, do tell about your encouters with Thompson; I am sure there are some good stories there!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#245973 - 24/03/2005 08:03 Re: Planning on heading to Europe this summer. Any tips & where's the [Re: bonzi]
julf
veteran

Quote:
Err, isn't the bird in the picture (still far too fast for sightseeing - how about a blimp?) a Check L-39 Albatross?

It is - good spot! That's what they started with. Here is the full story.
Quote:
But, do tell about your encouters with Thompson; I am sure there are some good stories there!

Ummh... Innocents need to be protected. But the offer to do the Hudson corridor was made the time Linus and I visited the labs (first visit for Linus), and he and Ken got into a debate about how to do a MIDI driver properly...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3