Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#247527 - 27/01/2005 13:50 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
As far as I recall, Plasma is (was?) supposed to be a transitionary technology. Made it to market only because LCD technology wasn't there yet to make such large screens at required resolutions - and certainly not at acceptable prices. I suspect plasma will completely vanish from the market sooner rather than later.

I've only ever seen a few decent-looking plasma screens and they all cost well over US$20000. Even units that cost well over $10K didn't look as good as a CRT. And forget about anything under $5K.

The HD bandwagon is helping to sell a lot of barbage into homes of unsuspecting consumers. A lot of sets I wouldn't trade for my 4:3 standard def 32" JVC CRT (4 years old).

Bruno

#247528 - 05/02/2005 18:55 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well, I enjoyed it quite a bit this week:

Gaming on it is awesome, and I have yet to even pull out the Steel Battalion controller for it.

Now I just need to address this mess a bit more:

And sadly, my fun is over with it for now. Looks like I got a bad unit out of the box, as it has given a few lamp errors, locked up (picture is ok, but remote and front panel buttons do nothing), and dropped the brighter parts of the screen. A new one will be on my doorstep Tuesday. Somehow I don't think my boss would have liked me to take off time on Sunday to accept delivery then.

Sadly even with the ton of inputs on the thing, I still need a switch box of some kind for component. It has two component inputs, and I have 4 component devices currently (PS2, XBox, Gamecube, ReplayTV).

#247529 - 05/02/2005 20:15 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: hybrid8]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Quote:
I've only ever seen a few decent-looking plasma screens and they all cost well over US$20000. Even units that cost well over $10K didn't look as good as a CRT. And forget about anything under $5K.

I've got a Panasonic 42" Plasma that I picked up for $2000 slightly used about 1.5 years ago and it looks way better than most of the projection screens I've seen lately. It's not HD but does the downsampling stuff. If I was buy now I'd still go the same route. You can pick up old model plasmas that are pretty amazing for half of what you'll pay for a comparable LCD. TEHO I guess. =]

#247530 - 05/02/2005 20:20 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
eliceo
enthusiast

You have the gamecube component pack, ive been trying to get one but they are damn near impossible to find for a reasonable price. How much better does it look in progressive games? Have you played Resident Evil 4 ?

#247531 - 05/02/2005 20:35 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: eliceo]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You have the gamecube component pack, ive been trying to get one but they are damn near impossible to find for a reasonable price.

Only official place I know for it is direct from Nintendo. Mine is still shipping, but a friend of mine has it and it is a noticible improvement. Not quite as good as the XBox games going up to 720p or 1080i, but still an improvement over the composite cable.

#247532 - 05/02/2005 20:48 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
eliceo
enthusiast

They were on backorder till march. Maybe they still are but they just aren't saying anything. I went ahead and ordered one, thanks for the notice. I was looking at Lik-sang , but they were more expensive and shipping from taiwan.

#247533 - 05/02/2005 21:37 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I also got mine from Nintendo. It was much better. It also lets you play some games in widescreen. Soul Caliber 2, for example. All the menus and the on-screen stats in the game are strecthed, but you can see more of the actual fighting. It really does look better. It's too bad it didn't catch on.

#247534 - 06/02/2005 00:55 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
It also lets you play some games in widescreen.

Although component video does look sharper than S-video, it's not required to play widescreen games with the Nintendo.

We don't have the component pack, and we hook up our Nintendo with S-video, but we can still play anamorphic widescreen games. The issue sin't the component pack, it's the games. Only some games have widescreen support, and it's never printed on the box whether it supports it or not. All you can do is go into the game's options menu and see if there is a 4:3/16:9 selection option.

#247535 - 06/02/2005 17:10 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The issue sin't the component pack, it's the games. Only some games have widescreen support

Well, duh! I realize this, but I know that my system didn't let me choose that option until I was using the component cables. I haven't tried an S-Video cable, because I figured why would you buy the extra S-Video cable when you could just as well buy the component cable?

#247536 - 06/02/2005 18:55 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Quote:
Quote:
Boy, I do wish Plazma had the legs to out last all the others.

Three big issues I have with any plasma display:

[blah blah blah]

3. Afraid of heights. Most plasmas still do not work well at high altitudes. The problem is painfully obvious in any consumer store here in Colorado. Walk into the plasma section, turn down any noise in the area, and you get a not so plesant buzz. Put one of those units in a house, and you have a buzz that cannot be covered up without raising sound volume of the content to police attracting levels. Why retailers even bother stocking plasma units with this problem here is beyond me, since almost all get returned when the issue starts up after a few days of operation.

Just ran across your comment after visiting a SoundTrack store last night (ostensibly, to check out the newest 3-LCD rear proj. HDTVs) , and boy did those plasma sets buzz like S.A. killer bees!

Now I've just got to decide between LCD & DLP technologies....

#247537 - 06/02/2005 20:32 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I know that my system didn't let me choose that option until I was using the component cables.

This surprises me. I didn't think it worked that way. I wonder why this is the case?

#247538 - 07/02/2005 17:20 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: tfabris]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Quote:
This surprises me. I didn't think it worked that way. I wonder why this is the case?

Silly - It's Nintendo. They want to sell more cable kits! They've been playing these games for a long, long time.

-jk

#247539 - 07/02/2005 19:39 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: jmwking]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

At least they play. Selling a (very nice) component cable isn't like those gimmick games that require four GBAs or even four Gamecubes (multiplayer Mario Kart). Do the other two companies even sell a component cable?

Regardless, I'm not going to start another console debate. I don't hold anything against Nintendo. I applaud them for their focus on gameplay, and wouldn't chastise them for whatever "mistakes" they have made in this generation. They more than make up for it when I play Wind Waker and feel like I'm a kid again

*edit*
Oh, and I hope you like the TV, Tom. At least, when everything is sorted out. Sorry to hear about that. I'll have to go check out that DLP set. I haven't seen it yet. It sure seems to be the biggest thing lately.

#247540 - 07/02/2005 20:41 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
isn't like those gimmick games that require four GBAs

It's not a gimmick. It also requires 2-4 players when GBAs are involved, so odds are you can find enough friends for them. The one I own is the Zelda one, and as far as co-op games are concerned, it is one of the best I have ever played. The only problem I have is finding a good schedule to get people togther to play the game. But the use of a second private screen is an interesting and fun innovation.

LAN based multiplayer is becoming more and more common on consoles, and wasn't started by Nintendo. Halo was the big one that started this, since XBox live wasn't launched yet. Mario Kart is still 4 player on one console using split screen.

#247541 - 07/02/2005 21:29 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
There are propritary component cables for both xbox and ps2.

Matt

#247542 - 07/02/2005 21:53 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Mario Kart is still 4 player on one console using split screen

Yeah, I think I figured that one out

I'm certain that the multiplayer Zelda game and the few other games that support it are just fine, but it creates more problems than it's worth. For one, I am the only person I know that owns a GBA, let alone someone my age. This creates the dilemma that I must find three other people to come over regularly, and only three other people, because who wants to play only part of an adventure game. It also means that, despite the fact that I would have paid immediately for a good single player version of Four Swords (hello, it looks like Link to the Past! I'm in heaven!), having played it it did not feel fun to play on my own.

The multiple consoles thing was just an addtion to the complaint. I shouldn't have made it seem like my main point or anything. Besides, I heard there are ways to even fool the Gamecube into playing Mario Kart online. I've never tried that, though.

#247543 - 20/03/2005 17:32 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
In regard to the aspect ratio, KKTV-DT always sends 1080i / 16:9. It was set up this way as not to burn bars in the sides of the viewers HDTV monitors.

Grr. that was the response I got back from my local CBS station after telling them their news anchors looked bloated due to the 4:3 content being sent 16:9. Anyone know of a TV that doesn't manually allow you to stretch the picture? I'd like to know before writing back about this.

#247544 - 20/03/2005 21:13 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

No, you're missing the point.

If your TV is getting a full 16:9 picture, it can't stretch the 16:9 picture wider than 16:9. At least, my TV doesn't do that.

The only way the TV will stretch for me, is if I'm watching a 4:3 source picture.

Since my HD-Tivo is running in 1080i and doing the upconverting for me, I have no stretch control over the local stations who broadcast 4:3 content on their 16:9 channels. Only a channel broadcasting in 4:3 can be stretched by the Tivo.

In other words, there is no way for me to get rid of the black bars when a local station is broadcasting 4:3 content on a 16:9 channel. So if I watch those channels, I get burn-in.

I agree that 4:3 stretched to 16:9 looks ugly. A better solution would be for them to do the following on their 16:9 station:

- Gray bars instead of black.
- Slightly move the positions of those bars periodically (or slowly over time) so that the sharp edge doesn't get burned in.

My TV does exactly that, when fed a 4:3 image from the S-video inputs. If only I could make the TV do that for 16:9 stations with black bars I'd be all set, but I can't.

#247545 - 20/03/2005 22:06 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

My main question is if a TV exists that is widescreen, but that forces 4:3 content to always be 4:3. Basicially the point I want to prove to the station is that by forcing 4:3 content to 16:9 on their end intentionally, they are removing control from the consumer watching their station. Where as if they would send the content properly, consumers who like to stretch content (either to fill the screen or to reduce burn in) could do so on their own using the standard controls of their TV.

Any more, I have noticed most modern sets offer several modes for dealing with 4:3. They can do a simple stretch, they can zoom in (and do so with a few methods), or offer a "panorama" mode that stretches the center less then the edges to avoid characters typicially in the middle from appearing bloated. Since the 4:3 content in being broadcast in 16:9, none of these modes can be selected.

Thankfully my unit does allow me to set 4:3 manually, thus returning the 4:3 content to a non stretched look. However, the second I tune to another local DTV station or to a voom channel, I have to undo this, as my Voom reciever picks up on the aspect ratio and puts in black bars on its own. if needed.

By what I can tell, the local FOX station broadcasts the proper aspect ratio and switches when the time comes. For example, during 24, I get a full 16:9 picture as intended. But when a commercial break comes on, I get the commercial in a pillar box format to ensure the 4:3 ratio is maintained.

On the other end of the spectrum, I see another problem with the station manually forcing content to be stretched. What happens on a 4:3 DTV set? Do they get letter box and pillar boxed due to the TV thinking it is a widescreen source?

#247546 - 21/03/2005 02:30 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
My main question is if a TV exists that is widescreen, but that forces 4:3 content to always be 4:3.

No, the problem they're solving is the opposite of that. They're not sending a 4:3 picture. The channel is a 16:9 channel, period, they're sending a 16:9 picture.

The problem happens when they don't have true 16:9 content to broadcast on that channel. Then they have to choose how to fit the 4:3 show into that 16:9 frame.

Quote:
they are removing control from the consumer watching their station

No. The picture they're sending is 16:9 no matter what. It just happens to be a 4:3 show being shown on the 16:9 channel.

You can't stretch the 16:9 window any wider than 16:9, with any TV or receiver I know of.

They're not removing a choice, in fact, based on your next statement, they're giving you a choice where none would have existed before:

Quote:
Thankfully my unit does allow me to set 4:3 manually, thus returning the 4:3 content to a non stretched look.

Exactly. You can take that 16:9 picture and make it narrow. But if they'd done it the other way 'round, then you couldn't take the 4:3-pic-on-the-16:9 channel and make it wider, because the channel is already a 16:9 channel.

Get it?

Quote:
By what I can tell, the local FOX station broadcasts the proper aspect ratio and switches when the time comes. For example, during 24, I get a full 16:9 picture as intended. But when a commercial break comes on, I get the commercial in a pillar box format to ensure the 4:3 ratio is maintained.

I don't know for sure, but if I understand this correctly, what you're seeing is your Fox station putting up black bars on the sides. They're not changing the broadcast from 4:3 to 16:9 and back again. They're still broadcasting a 16:9 picture at all times, it's just that the sides of that picture happen to be black during the 4:3 commercials. They've made the opposite choice as your CBS station did.

And those, of course, are the stations that cause burn-in for me, because I can't make the black bars disappear. And I'll bet you can't either. Try it and let me know.

Now... Some very enlightened stations, I'm told, are doing gray bars instead of black. I wish the ones in my local area were.

#247547 - 21/03/2005 18:16 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, 480p is a 4:3 picture, and is technically part of the HD specification. I don't know if anyone does it, oreven if it's possible for a single channel to switch back and forth, but it's vaguely possible that Tom's local Fox station does.

I imagine you're right, though, and that they pillar box the 4:3 picture into a 16:9 frame.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed with how my HDDirecTiVo deals with this stuff. I wish it would automatically produce the same output as input, or at least show me what the input was. For now, I have to guess what the original format was based on letterboxing, etc.

#247548 - 21/03/2005 18:28 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Well, 480p is a 4:3 picture, and is technically part of the HD specification. I don't know if anyone does it, oreven if it's possible for a single channel to switch back and forth, but it's vaguely possible that Tom's local Fox station does.

I imagine you're right, though, and that they pillar box the 4:3 picture into a 16:9 frame.

Not that it's particularly relevant to hi-definition broadcasts in the US, but for whatever it's worth, standard PAL broadcasts in the UK definitely switch between 16:9 and 4:3 as required by the content, and there's a side-channel flag of some sort that tells the TV what it's up to. This is however not the panacea one might think, as (a) the aspect-ratio flag is often broadcast the wrong way round, and (b) if reception is a bit iffy, the TV will keep losing and re-finding the aspect-ratio flag and switching aspect ratio. John's TV, which is a CRT, blanks for about half a second on each switch. This gets annoying rather rapidly.

Peter

#247549 - 21/03/2005 18:31 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: peter]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
AFD, Active Format Descriptor. Present in the MPEG2 stream or inserted on line 23 of a PAL picture. As long as you pass line 23 unaltered your widescreen TV should switch correctly

Andy M

#247550 - 21/03/2005 18:36 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: peter]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
John's TV, which is a CRT, blanks for about half a second on each switch. This gets annoying rather rapidly.

We had a Philips TV at work that used to do a song and dance every time the AFD changed, it got binned a couple of days later. Ended up in a managers office who I'm sure thought it looked 'cool' every time it happened.

Andy M

#247551 - 21/03/2005 20:57 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
My main question is if a TV exists that is widescreen, but that forces 4:3 content to always be 4:3.

No, the problem they're solving is the opposite of that. They're not sending a 4:3 picture. The channel is a 16:9 channel, period, they're sending a 16:9 picture.

The reason I asked the above was to find out if a widescreen TV existed that didn't allow a consumer to stretch a 4:3 feed to 16:9. I am aware they are doing the opposite, and that is what annoys me. So in a counter point to them, I want to point out that if they would send 4:3 content as 4:3, consumers could then stretch it as they please. Including using stretching methods beyond the simple expansion to fill the frame that many modern units offer.

Quote:
You can take that 16:9 picture and make it narrow. But if they'd done it the other way 'round, then you couldn't take the 4:3-pic-on-the-16:9 channel and make it wider, because the channel is already a 16:9 channel.

I am not asking them to broadcast 4:3 content with pillar boxes to fill a 16:9 frame. I am asking for them to broadcast 4:3 content as 4:3.

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but if I understand this correctly, what you're seeing is your Fox station putting up black bars on the sides.
And those, of course, are the stations that cause burn-in for me, because I can't make the black bars disappear. And I'll bet you can't either. Try it and let me know.

I'll change the setting on my decoder and see what happens.

The main reason this irritates me is because the local CBS station is the only station out of the 3 local and many satelite stations that I have to touch my TV remote to change aspect ratio.

#247552 - 21/03/2005 21:14 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
The reason I asked the above was to find out if a widescreen TV existed that didn't allow a consumer to stretch a 4:3 feed to 16:9.

Mine doesn't. Okay, it's not really 16:9. It's 4:3, but it does 16:9 mode. It doesn't really allow me to select much of anything. That is, if the signal says 16:9, then it does 16:9; if it's 4:3, it does 4:3.

On the other hand, is this really something that you control on your TV and not on your HD receiver?

#247553 - 21/03/2005 21:31 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
On the other hand, is this really something that you control on your TV and not on your HD receiver?

I can control it on both. The TV is set to "Wide TV" for the HDMI input where the Voom box is, and the Voom box has a setting screen that asks how to treat 4:3 and 16:9 content. Both are set to "Preserve aspect ratio" and the system knows it is outputting the signal to a 16:9 TV due to a setting elsewhere.

The TV allows several settings on each input. Wide TV, Wide PC (it stops overscanning to fit the full 1280x720 on screen), 4:3, Stretch, Zoom mode 1 and 2 (with adjustments where it zooms) and Panorama stretching, where the outer edges are stretched more then the inner ones. Depending on what signal it is getting, some of these modes are not available at the time.

#247554 - 21/03/2005 22:27 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The reason I asked the above was to find out if a widescreen TV existed that didn't allow a consumer to stretch a 4:3 feed to 16:9. I am aware they are doing the opposite, and that is what annoys me. So in a counter point to them, I want to point out that if they would send 4:3 content as 4:3, consumers could then stretch it as they please. Including using stretching methods beyond the simple expansion to fill the frame that many modern units offer.

Many TVs, including my Hitachi, offer a non-linear "wide" stretch, where the middle third of the original screen is largely the same, and the outside two thirds are stretched to give the "wide" illusion. It's tollerable, but I prefer to watch things in their native aspect ratio. If you try watching something like CNN with the non-linear stretch, the scrolling ticker can easily get you seasick.

In combination with my HD-TiVo, I think I can do what you want, but it's a pain. If something is broadcast in HD but with a 4:3 aspect ratio and black bars, I can tell the TiVo to output 480i or 480p instead of the higher resolution choices. At that point, the TiVo is outputting a "normal" signal that the TV's stretching controls understand. The TV only "locks" to 16:9 if you give it a 720p or 1080i signal. The only reason I ever mess with this in practice is when I'm watching a letterboxed standard-def show from the satellite (e.g., Battlestar Gallactica), where I want to zoom in, rather than having cropping on all four sides.

#247555 - 22/03/2005 01:02 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
if they would send 4:3 content as 4:3, consumers could then stretch it as they please.

Yes, agreed. I would love it if they did that.

But as was pointed out later in this thread, switching the channel's "type" from 4:3 to 16:9 and back again has its own set of technical issues. So, from what I've seen, most stations that mix 4:3 and 16:9 content simply broadcast as 16:9 all the time with black pillar bars.

Nasty, evil, burn-inducing black pillar bars.

Quote:
because the local CBS station is the only station out of the 3 local and many satelite stations that I have to touch my TV remote to change aspect ratio.

Yes, that is very irritating. Agreed completely.

#247556 - 22/03/2005 12:31 Re: HDTV Shopping [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Nasty, evil, burn-inducing black pillar bars.

It's fine if you've got a 16:9 TV that doesn't burn in. It's preferable

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >