Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#250334 - 07/04/2005 19:46 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But I don't feel like trying out all those different types of programs again to see which ones I like

But you have to do this to see what spyware and virus solutions work...

There is also OS X as a possibility that is much easier then Linux to pick up, and has the Unix core to get you more used to the basics of Linux.

Though I still also stand by Firefox and now also Thunderbird (instead of any Outlook mail) being a good solution when running a Windows box. Lately I have been changing IE on any box I touch to not allow anything (ActiveX, Javascript, cookies) on all sites except Windows Update, to prevent applications that use IE in them from also letting in spyware that way.

#250335 - 07/04/2005 20:53 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
But you have to do this to see what spyware and virus solutions work...

By that statement I mostly meant utilities that I use now. I have tried such a wide variety of video editing, video converting, dvd creation, and disc burning software that I don't care to do it over again with another OS, especially since the programs I ended up with are ones that are a joy to use and don't have ports on any other OSs that I know of. Hell, DVDlab alone is enough to keep me on Windows forever.

Then my only problem with the Mac is that I love fiddling with hardware, and I really like my current PC case.

No, I don't see myself switching, though it's more likely that I'll switch to Linux or OSX than WinXP

#250336 - 07/04/2005 23:11 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Dignan]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
The 'need patience to run Linux' thing is not so true any more. In particular, Ubuntu is, from what I've seen, getting great marks from both new people and experienced Linux users alike. I know one guy using it who hasn't had to use a command prompt in the three months he's been running it!

I run Fedora Core 3, myself, and I find it very easy to use without having to resort to arcane commands. CDs and USB drives mount themselves automatically and unmount from a right-click menu command; Up2Date keeps everything you need installed and up to date without having to worry about obscure RPM downloads; OpenOffice and many other useful programs comes installed as standard; its inbuilt firewall control is both industry standard and easy to use.

Of course, there are plenty of other distributions out there. Everyone has their favourites. My real observation is that an arbitrary choice of which Linux distribution to use makes very little difference to your results. Most of them now have very well designed and full-featured interfaces, and you quickly get used to the differences between Windows and whatever you're using.

It's like choosing a car - once you discard the obvious losers and bad deals, most cars in a particular class offer similar features and you quickly get used to any minor differences between your old car and your new. It's not like choosing a car stereo, where it's difficult to tell the real difference between a lemon and a Rio Car...

Have fun,

Paul

#250337 - 08/04/2005 07:32 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: PaulWay]
StigOE
addict

Quote:
I run Fedora Core 3, myself....

So do I as a dual-boot on my laptop. But how do I get programs to show up on the start-menu? I did some googling and I found out I needed to make a special XML-file which I needed to save in a particular place. Problem is that I couldn't fint that place in my distibution.... Is there a program with a GUI for making those XML-files available? Oh, and I'm runnning Gnome 2.8.

Stig

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2