Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#250304 - 24/02/2005 04:22 Help! Spyware/Popup problems
TigerJimmy
old hand

Hi everyone,

I accidentally mis-clicked on a pop up and ended up installing a whole bunch of nasties. I won't go into the rant about how this wouldn't have been possible on a computer with a real operating system...

Anyhow. I got everything working again. There were a couple of viruses and a bunch of spyware installed.

I've used Adaware, Hijack This and Spybot S&D and none of them finds anything. Actually, Spybot S&D keeps finding these two things:

IGetNet
Common Hijacker

I don't think these are the cause of my problem, because Spybot shows they are "redirected host" type problems.

I remove them, but they keep coming back, even if I remove them in Safe Mode.

I'm getting a pop-up IE window every 5 minutes or so. I can't find any processes running that is causing this. It's driving me absolutely crazy.

PLEASE someone, how can I find out why IE is starting up on its own and showing me an ad. I can't figure this out...

Thanks in advance,

Jim

#250305 - 24/02/2005 04:33 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Dust off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

#250306 - 24/02/2005 05:28 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Um. To use the cliched phrase, "Post a hijackthis log".

Also make sure you've cleared out your trusted sites lists and set all the security levels bask to the defaults.

Matthew

#250307 - 24/02/2005 05:31 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

No kidding!

What a ridiculous piece of junk.

Anyhow, wonders never cease. I "fixed" the problem (or so it seems, so far) by installing SP2. So, the people who caused the problem actually fixed it. Amazing. And you thought that Microsoft just made things worse and worse.

Of course, I still have absolutely no idea what was going on.

In the process, I learned about an antispyware tool I hadn't used before: Intermute's Spy Subtract . It's commercial-ware, but with a 30 day trial. It detected a few things (mostly registry keys) that Spybot, Adaware, and HiJack This all missed.

The fact that whole segments of the software industry continue to thrive as a result of extremely poor quality of Microsoft amazes me. If it were *any* other product area, the poor quality source of all the problems would be replaced. Because of 3rd party software, this isn't happening "on the desktop". Instead, people keep bandaging their critically wounded patient.

The internet will kill Microsoft. Not in the way they fear, however. It will be because the globally connected world magnifies the poor quality and reliability of the MS products. They will not be able to fix this without losing their stranglehold on the market -- their 3rd party software dominance. To fix these problems, Microsoft will need an entirely new platform; they can't polish this turd enough. When they do that, they lose the backward compatibility and the development environment investments won't matter because everything will need to be ported.

I can't wait to see Microsoft delisted from Nasdaq.

Jim

#250308 - 24/02/2005 06:15 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Just to say this after the fact, but one should never install SP2 if you've got a spyware problem. I do a lot of helpdesk work, and it seems that the only way to really screw things up when installing SP2 is to install it over a mess of spyware.

Matthew

#250309 - 24/02/2005 07:07 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I won't go into the rant about how this wouldn't have been possible on a computer with a real operating system...

What about the rant about a different browser? So far, even with click happy relatives, 4 Windows machines I help maintain are spyware free after migrating them to Firefox ages ago. I actually forgot how long ago I had started this, until I found my mothers laptop was still running Firebird 0.7.

While changing the OS might not be possible, you can at least address the root of the cause in other ways, instead of maintaining 3-5 different spyware detectors.

#250310 - 24/02/2005 07:12 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
Hi there,

I highly recommend "Scan Spyware" from http://www.scanspyware.net/ It's commercial software ($30) but they do have a trial version (don't know how functional it is though)

After running Ad-Aware, I then run Scan-Spyware. Always finds loads more stuff and has never failed to remove it.

Cheers, Sim

#250311 - 24/02/2005 08:35 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: tfabris]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I take it you've been watching 'Aliens' a lot lately, Tony?

#250312 - 24/02/2005 11:18 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: drakino]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
You know, as of about 10 minutes ago I'd be with you on the FF=impenatrable. I run M$ Anti-Spyware Beta, more as a test of it before my other users (most have gotten it now). I come in this morning and it tells me I've got a case of Comet Cursor. Now, I did not click any pop-ups or anything like that. I've no idea how this happened, but FF is not a silver bullet. Better yes. Perfect, no.

My system sits behind a Sonicwall Soho3, and runs XP SP2 (but admitedly the FW software was not on)- I have several centrally administered pieces of software - most notably my virus scanner - McAfee 8, corporate edition and hadn't bothered to look up which ports it needs.

<SIGH> No magic bullets. (yeah yeah linux/MAC....)

-Zeke

#250313 - 24/02/2005 14:47 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I've used Adaware, Hijack This and Spybot S&D

Can I ask which version of Ad-Aware you have installed?

Quote:
Um. To use the cliched phrase, "Post a hijackthis log".

Oh god, please don't everyone start posting those logs on here. Now everytime I Google for some spyware that I find on a system, I have to trudge through pages and pages of logs that nobody ever responds to. Ugh.

#250314 - 24/02/2005 16:02 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I take it you've been watching 'Aliens' a lot lately, Tony?

No, it's just that I had to give the same advice to someone here in my company earlier that day, because they'd had the identical problem.

That person, of course, was my direct manager. Yes, Dilbert is my life.

#250315 - 24/02/2005 19:01 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Dignan]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I am running Adaware 6.0 with the latest update file.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I was extremely frustrated last night. I can't figure out how it was happening. There didn't seem to be any process running, or any indication of where a process might be invoked.

I've had IE open now for about 7 hours and there hasn't been a popup.

I guess I got lucky with the SP2 install, but I did get rid of everything I could find first.

Jim

#250316 - 24/02/2005 19:03 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Well, I consider myself a fairly competent computer user. I think the spyware/adware is getting much more sophisticated. So, I'd like to think that your boss isn't *necessarily* a pointy-haired boss, or at least that not being able to remove the popup stuff doesn't make him one...

J

#250317 - 24/02/2005 19:23 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, you have a point.

#250318 - 24/02/2005 19:47 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: tfabris]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Quote:
Dust off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Thinking of this, I just ponied up for a 12 seat license of Symantec Ghost Suite, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I hadn't looked at Ghost since 2001 (when I ended up using RIS). This time RIS was being more trouble than it was worth. I'd like to have a solid setup where I can just re-image within an hour back to a working desktop. I think Ghost can get me there, but I've only had it a day or two.

-Zeke

#250319 - 24/02/2005 20:01 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:

You should upgrade Are you sure it's 6? If the icon you use to launch the program has a 6 on it, then you don't have the latest version. If it has an "SE" on it, then you do.

Download Ad-Aware SE and then get back to us.

I loaded and ran Ad-Aware SE after a complete scan with version 6 with the latest updates. It found dozens of "objects."

As far as I've seen it, Ad-Aware and Spybot have continually traded places on the top of the spyware detector list. When they first came out, I think Ad-Aware was a bit better. Then the program wasn't updated as often as Spybot, and that tool became more powerful. Now it's been quite some time since the last Spybot release, and Ad-Aware SE is just incredible.

If I were staying on top of it, I'd use both of them regularly, as I believe they compliment each other. But for day to day I've always used Ad-Aware simply because it's nicer to use.

#250320 - 24/02/2005 20:09 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I was extremely frustrated last night. I can't figure out how it was happening. There didn't seem to be any process running, or any indication of where a process might be invoked.

I've had IE open now for about 7 hours and there hasn't been a popup.

I guess I got lucky with the SP2 install, but I did get rid of everything I could find first.

Jim

This version of AD-Aware doesn't get updates anymore, you need to download AD-Aware SE 1.05 and always download the updated definition file manually if you think your machine is infected. Always set AD-Aware to do a complete scan. I have see the host file spyware hacks and they tend to set a registry value on bootup to change the location of were the host file should be.

McAfee will also can for some spyware but you need to enable the scan for "Unwanted Programs" option.

I have a boot CD that has Spy-bot, Ad-Aware SE, McAfee 7, AVG and some other tools on it that I use when trying to clean someone elses machine. I boot up the CD and run the scans, then once it has removed and cleaned everything I then install AD-Aware SE one the machine and have it do a complete scan again as this will find all the registry hijacks.

If the machine is running XP installing SP2 is a must and going thru the "Manage Add-ons" in IE helps a lot. I try to get most of them to run Firefox but most have kids and they just don't seem to listen.

#250321 - 24/02/2005 20:27 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Attack]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Beat you to it

I'd agree with everything you've been doing except McAfee. I have no good will towards that program. I've never seen anything good about it. Plus, if you have AVG I don't see why you need McAfee.

Similar to your methods: I've built computers for several people, and aside from Windows+updates and whatever software (Office, etc) that they want, I simply install Ad-Aware, AVG, and the Google Toolbar (with a hearty recomendation for Firefox). So far I have heard of zero problems from any of the people I've built systems for, and after as much as one to two years.

#250322 - 25/02/2005 00:44 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Dignan]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Quote:
I'd agree with everything you've been doing except McAfee. I have no good will towards that program. I've never seen anything good about it. Plus, if you have AVG I don't see why you need McAfee.

I'll second (and third, and foutrh) That! I had been using the same Mcafee, and during my 'pain and suffering' last week, I had ran and re-ran full scans. Mcfee said everything was cool... I then ran AVG and it found 4 trojans and 7 virus'! I was ticked...
I will say that the beta spyware tool from MS seems to work well... It found 3 cases of spyware that AdAware did not. Choose your own tools, but I won't choose Mcfee anymore...

#250323 - 25/02/2005 03:01 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

I use both McAfee and AVG because both will find things that the other missed when scanning someone elses PC. I'm currently testing Mcafee 8 and Nod32. Nod32 is 10 times faster at doing a full system scan. Oh and any version after McAfee 8 is total CRAP.

#250324 - 05/04/2005 20:25 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Attack]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Ok...I am now having a spyware problem that I cannot get rid of. When I search for something with Google, it will redirect me to www2.popupsearches . I have tried getting rid of it with Spybot, Ad Aware, and the Microsoft one, but it is still there.It is frustrating....has anyone else had any success getting rid of it?

#250325 - 05/04/2005 21:01 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: burdell1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Try seeing if you can identify it with Hijack This!.

#250326 - 05/04/2005 21:16 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: wfaulk]
Attack
addict

If HiJack This doesn't help Download Agent Ransack from http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/ and do a search for files containing text popupsearches once you find the file on your hard drive you can then search the registry and have point it back to the correct host file.

#250327 - 05/04/2005 21:21 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Attack]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
There was another one that somebody from this site recommended a long time ago, but I can't remember what it was. It was one that scanned my computer from the website, you don't actually download the software. Anyone know which one this is?

#250328 - 06/04/2005 13:39 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: burdell1]
visuvius
addict

housecall.trendmicro.com

#250329 - 06/04/2005 15:58 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: TigerJimmy]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
There was a great link on /. in case you missed it which cited a great plan to rid/stay clean from spyware for Windows users. I've followed a very similar methodology with great success so far.

The one other tool I would suggest is WinPatrol 9.0. Which is a watchdog over critical system areas alerting you and giving you the option to allow/deny (ala Zone Alarm) access to those items. Good stuff.

Enjoy. Updated often, Immunize.
T

#250330 - 06/04/2005 16:00 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: burdell1]
Attack
addict

Hmm, I just found this on /.

"As of April 4, 2005 the SANS Internet Storm Center has raised their alert level to Yellow following a rash of active DNS poisonings. The infected DNS servers are re-directing users from popular sites such as Google or American Express to malware infecting advertising sites. According to the ISC presentation on the attack, it is believed to be linked to known spammers and malware distributors. The full presentation of information up until this point can be found here."

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/06/170233&tid=95&tid=172&tid=218

Maybe this is your issue. I would recommend running Bind-PE (just noticed it's been renamed to TreeWalk DNS) on your local PC. I've been running it on my box for the past year and it works great. Just remember to update your root zone file about once a month.

#250331 - 06/04/2005 16:07 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: time]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There was a great link on /. in case you missed it which cited a great plan to rid/stay clean from spyware for Windows users. I've followed a very similar methodology with great success so far.

I follow that pretty much except for the SpywareBlaster program. I haven't heard of that before so I'm a little wary of it. In its place I use the new MS antispyware tool. Yeah, it's MS, but it wasn't theirs to begin with, and they presumably know what's wrong with their OS I also run into many people who still insist on using IE, so I insist on the Google toolbar as well.

Frankly, I was doing fine with Ad-Aware and AVG, but installed the others just to be safe. I put AVG and Ad-Aware on several people's PCs that I've built for them, and they've had no complaints so far.

#250332 - 06/04/2005 19:19 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Wow.. a whole universe out there that I never get to experience. Oh well.

#250333 - 06/04/2005 19:37 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Don't you wish you could be in the club??

I wish I had the patience for Linux, I really do. But I don't feel like trying out all those different types of programs again to see which ones I like, and I don't want to dual-boot. And the thought of trying out several different OSs to begin with does not get me excited.

#250334 - 07/04/2005 19:46 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But I don't feel like trying out all those different types of programs again to see which ones I like

But you have to do this to see what spyware and virus solutions work...

There is also OS X as a possibility that is much easier then Linux to pick up, and has the Unix core to get you more used to the basics of Linux.

Though I still also stand by Firefox and now also Thunderbird (instead of any Outlook mail) being a good solution when running a Windows box. Lately I have been changing IE on any box I touch to not allow anything (ActiveX, Javascript, cookies) on all sites except Windows Update, to prevent applications that use IE in them from also letting in spyware that way.

#250335 - 07/04/2005 20:53 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But you have to do this to see what spyware and virus solutions work...

By that statement I mostly meant utilities that I use now. I have tried such a wide variety of video editing, video converting, dvd creation, and disc burning software that I don't care to do it over again with another OS, especially since the programs I ended up with are ones that are a joy to use and don't have ports on any other OSs that I know of. Hell, DVDlab alone is enough to keep me on Windows forever.

Then my only problem with the Mac is that I love fiddling with hardware, and I really like my current PC case.

No, I don't see myself switching, though it's more likely that I'll switch to Linux or OSX than WinXP

#250336 - 07/04/2005 23:11 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: Dignan]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
The 'need patience to run Linux' thing is not so true any more. In particular, Ubuntu is, from what I've seen, getting great marks from both new people and experienced Linux users alike. I know one guy using it who hasn't had to use a command prompt in the three months he's been running it!

I run Fedora Core 3, myself, and I find it very easy to use without having to resort to arcane commands. CDs and USB drives mount themselves automatically and unmount from a right-click menu command; Up2Date keeps everything you need installed and up to date without having to worry about obscure RPM downloads; OpenOffice and many other useful programs comes installed as standard; its inbuilt firewall control is both industry standard and easy to use.

Of course, there are plenty of other distributions out there. Everyone has their favourites. My real observation is that an arbitrary choice of which Linux distribution to use makes very little difference to your results. Most of them now have very well designed and full-featured interfaces, and you quickly get used to the differences between Windows and whatever you're using.

It's like choosing a car - once you discard the obvious losers and bad deals, most cars in a particular class offer similar features and you quickly get used to any minor differences between your old car and your new. It's not like choosing a car stereo, where it's difficult to tell the real difference between a lemon and a Rio Car...

Have fun,

Paul

#250337 - 08/04/2005 07:32 Re: Help! Spyware/Popup problems [Re: PaulWay]
StigOE
addict

Quote:
I run Fedora Core 3, myself....

So do I as a dual-boot on my laptop. But how do I get programs to show up on the start-menu? I did some googling and I found out I needed to make a special XML-file which I needed to save in a particular place. Problem is that I couldn't fint that place in my distibution.... Is there a program with a GUI for making those XML-files available? Oh, and I'm runnning Gnome 2.8.

Stig

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >